Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

RCU Policy Proposal

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

RCU Policy Proposal

Old 05-29-2013, 07:57 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RCU Policy Proposal

Hi,

Recently, several new 'member' accounts have popped up on here for the obvious purpose of trolling. In at least one case, the individual was asked several times about his identity (especially when the topic he started was about reps not disclosing their identity).

I feel like RCU should have a policy wherein members should be required to be REAL people posting and commenting as themselves....not fake or pretend personalities. This should apply at least when the new member is suspected by other members of being an under-cover shill.

I don't think the members here should have to put up with shill attacks and troll nonsense. Some people mind the unfriendly comments we sometimes see, but at least those are from people who have the guts/honesty to do it as themselves. I don't think any member here should be listened to or allowed to comment on issues (especially volatile subjects like those we've recently seen on here) if they don't have the courage to do it under their own true identity. What do you guys think?
Old 05-29-2013, 08:17 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: RCU Policy Proposal

Agreed 100%, well said!

Gary.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:19 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

+1

Bob Klenke
Old 05-29-2013, 08:41 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I wish that RCU would institute a policy requiring members to use their given names instead of screen names.

Why do so many members feel that anonymity is necessary?
Old 05-29-2013, 08:45 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

I agree but this is something that is almost impossible to authenticate. This is one of the evils of cyberspace.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:46 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

I dont see whats lacking....

USERNAMES & DISCLOSURE:
Only one username or account is necessary at RCU, all others will be removed. If you create a second username to act as a shill or in attempt to bypass a management ban, you will be at risk of permanent removal from RCU. A shill is defined by but not limited to the act of promoting products for vendors, products or the like, and the act of hiding behind anonymity to abuse normal membership policies and etiquette.

If you are a manufacturer, vendor, sponsored representative, retailer or the like for an r/c related company or product you must specifically identify yourself and the particular affiliation in your signature. Any member affiliated with a company not identifying themselves as such is at risk of revocation from RCU. This is identified, but not limited to a member who gains anything financially whether in cash, product, discount or the like.

Web addresses may not be used as usernames.
If you have an account you feel is a shill, PM RC Ken

Trust me we out and ban shill accounts all the time in the section where mod's discuss moderating.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:03 AM
ianober

It seems to be running rampant though Andy. Its not hard to see them either, usually under 20 posts and stirring the pot in a lot of threads. Is it normal practice for Mods to see this and investigate or does someone have to file a formal complaint?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:18 AM
edgeflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Totally agree. I don't post very much anymore because of this exact scenerio.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:35 AM
Area51.5

I was attacked as soon as i joined last week about this, in my opinion my name is none of anyones business.  After three times of id theft over the past 10 years I no longer give real names [:'(]. I can see peoples point however about people trolling but this is something that will always be a problem on the internet. RCU could use some type of IP blocker or something, I have seen some websites that have managed to stop more than one account this way. 
Old 05-29-2013, 09:38 AM
PhilYabelli
Banned

Yellow Aircraft accused several people of being someone else, he reported it to the moderators already, they told him he was wrong, but he just will not let it go.  His previous posts about it were removed, because he was wrong.  But he will not let it go.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:48 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Shaun,

I think it's funny your'e complaining about someone not saying who they are and you have a screen name, and failed to sign your name to the post......

BTW I do agree and this issue is the number one reason I hardly ever post anymore. At one point in time if you were a rep and posted it in your signature line. People on here took open potshots at you. Nothing has changed.

David Reid
Old 05-29-2013, 10:13 AM
BarracudaHockey

Mod's take action if they see it in the course of normal forum surfing, otherwise its brought to our attention by users reporting the posts.

As a moderator, I dont cruise the forums looking for posts to can, I'm just a volunteer that helps out in that regard, if I see something in a thread I'm reading or get a ticket in the areas I'm responsible for, then I take action. Even in the heli area, I don't read every thread, just the ones that interest me or that I might be able to help someone with an issue with their heli (or any of the other areas I participate in such as this one, as a user)
Old 05-29-2013, 11:51 AM
DAN AVILLA

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think all people should use names instead of handles . Besides the problems above it would be nice to know who you are communicating with. I go to a lot of events and it would help putting a face to the people on RCU. I,m sure I have flown with guys that I posted with with out knowing it. The jet community is small and a good bunch of people. Dan Avilla
Old 05-29-2013, 12:34 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the form which is used to set up a new account ask for a handle name.
In the beginnings of RCOnline I think it was innocent and cute to have your cool handle and everyone would eventually learn who you are. Now that's its grown into what it is today I think it would be better served to know who everyone is with their real name. Maybe John Smith aka Maverick or whatever. If I had to do it all over again I would just use my name. I think everyone that came from RCOnline had a handle
Might be better to have the form ask for full name and then handle and display them both.
I grabbed my handle way back and didn't want to ditch it for someone else to use so I decided at some point to use my signature to identify myself. Very easy to do and doesn't let go of the handle I have been identified with for humpteen years.
I am all for everyone identifying themselves.

Its funny that Sean didn't identify himself!

Ghostrider used to be very good with sniffing out the shills and multiple accounts.

Scott
Old 05-29-2013, 12:50 PM
warbirdfanatic

Would be a good idea but there's still the trouble of people making up false names. I would suggest a form of IP based blocking - this would actually stop the problem immediately (unless someone uses their phone to then post but then we would get the static IP from that device aswell.
Yes there are ways of creating spiking IP's (where the address constantly changes)
But to the average troll, they're not going to use such methods, this will get them caught and permanently banned from trolling and causing havoc to the honest guys on here
Old 05-29-2013, 12:58 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it's a good idea in general. As most are aware I've always used my real name from day one. How about starting things off by everyone volunteering their real names now? Hey it might catch on and the ones who don't will draw more attention than the ones who do....

Flipped.

Andy
Old 05-29-2013, 12:59 PM
BarracudaHockey

Andy Griffith
Old 05-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

I am glad to see that I am not alone....I have absolutely nothing to hide, so I have always used my given name.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:16 PM
Kelly Rohrbach

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Harley Condra

I am glad to see that I am not alone....I have absolutely nothing to hide, so I have always used my given name.
Yep!
+1
Old 05-29-2013, 01:31 PM
PhilYabelli
Banned

But that's not your choice. BVMreps are required by BVMto properly identify themselves, and conduct themselves in a certain way online. Nothing but a good way, in my opinion. Not all reps from all companies comport themselves the same way that BVMones do. Not naming names, but there are companies here Iwould never buy from due to their unprofessional posts on the forums.
ORIGINAL: Kelly Rohrbach

ORIGINAL: Harley Condra

Yep!
+1
Old 05-29-2013, 01:50 PM
toolmaker7341

+ 1 also
Old 05-29-2013, 02:12 PM
[email protected]

ill start my real name is [ allen weast] [email protected]
Old 05-29-2013, 02:46 PM
readyturn
My Feedback: (9)

+ 1 for real people !

Rick Trissell
Wichita, Kansas
Old 05-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Hustler58

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope you don't find out who I am! I'll be in trouble! Butch
Old 05-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Terry Holston

Infinity +1................................

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.