Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbine Rebuild Hours

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine Rebuild Hours

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 06:06 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Turbine Rebuild Hours

Hey guys, Im really new to Turbines, Just got my waver last week. I got 3 sweet AMT 180 turbines, One in a Jet Centry Delta Dart 106, one in a CAI Rasor, and the last going in a Falcon 120 or othere project.

As I have gotten these motors used, with unknon number of hours, So I figured this winter I would send one in for Service to be safe, I sent a email to AMT Netherlands and there responce was:

There are a few versions of the Mercury but we do not have any parts any more for the very first version, you can recognize them with at the "open" compressor nut.

<o></o>

I assume that the engines you have are "air start engines", a typical "overhaul" would cost around 750,- Euro (ex shipping back) depending on the state of the engine. Wich is almsot $1k in US dollars.

Is this the typical rebuild cost?

But my main question is, The turbine guys I fly with tell me they have to send in there turbines after 25 hours, one told me he has sent his in 2 times after his 25hour use with no need to have the bearing changed.

So I was looking around on USMicroJets web site, (the compnay is no more and is up for sale) and on there question section it shows this.

Q. What is the service interval?
A. We recommend that an engine be sent in for a checkup after every 100 hours of service. Note: Although 200 hours of service before rebuild is common, service greatly depends on the application and the environment in which the engine is operated.

So whats the deal educate me guys, is it really 100-200 hours but the turbine companys are trying to make some of there money back selling them so cheap by makeing you send them in every 25hours?

Is it becouse our use in Hobby aircraft vs civilan aplication is more prone to dirt?

I was told as long as I hit the Same RPM at wot not to have any worries, wich makes a lot of since. So except useing good oil, is there steps that can help your berrings last longer?

Ie put some trubine oil in the fuel intake line to get a good spash every so often?

Thanks guys Mike
Old 07-09-2013, 06:52 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Turbine Rebuild Hours

I paid about $850.00 the last time I had a Jetcat P-70 Zeroed.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:45 AM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sent my Jet Central Rhino in couple of months ago with 24.3 hours on it for its 25 hour service. Flat fee for 250 bucks to service and zero the motor.
With the older turbines you are flying you will have to bite the bullet for servicing. Some the newer motors come with lifetime service plans that cover overhauls for just a small flat fee. Jet Central is one and has had theirs in place for a while, and others are coming on board with the same service plans.

Take care.
Mike
Old 07-09-2013, 09:20 AM
bluescoobydoo

if there is nothing wrong with it don't waste your money on pointless replacement of bearings, most engines will go way past the 25 hr mark just make sure you filter your fuel and fit a fod guard
Old 07-09-2013, 11:38 AM
ron Sweeney

I agree. My Wren ss had 67 hours service before I heared the faintest whistle. Wren confirmed the rear bearing was past its' sell by date but the front bearing was still OK and it was not replaced. The turbine runs well and has another 8 hours recorded since it's service. Ron.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:07 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

so excet for insureing you hit the same rpm at wot as a sign things may be going bad,

what is this " I heared the faintest whistle " sound?
Old 07-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Justflying1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With most Turbine manufacturers they recommend service intervals between 25-50 hours. However with AMT they do not want to see the turbine unless there is something wrong. So yes anywhere from 100-200 hours is reasonable.

Ivan
Old 07-09-2013, 10:57 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

AMT engines are bullet proof but the older ones are not worth the overhaul costs mentioned so are not really worth getting AMT work on them. I'd fly them until they no longer work anymore ( this could be a good few years) and then buy some more current engines.

Jason
Old 07-10-2013, 02:42 AM
frankie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello Mike,

I've got a few AMT turbines and can tell you that as long as you run the correct fuel and oil and don't fly in the Sahara, you can expect bearing performance beyond any of the other brands at present. For example, I sent my Pegasus in for a check up after 100+ hours and the response was "the bearings do not require replacement".

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy operating these turbines,

Frank
Old 07-10-2013, 01:56 PM
NUNU

http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-...ngular-contact

If you examine the link above you will find the same part numbers for bearings used from one manufacturer to another.. point being they will all go over 25 hours so if you dont have some reason to send it in you dont need to.