Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What do you think of the new site

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What do you think of the new site

Old 08-16-2013, 10:11 AM
SGibson
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does the new version do that the old version didnt do? Is the new version supposed to provide a better experience or more convenience? Is so, I dont see it. I like the old version better. The new site looks sterile. Kind of like it is half finished
Steve Gibson
Old 08-16-2013, 11:09 AM
erik valdez
My Feedback: (80)

What does the new version do that the old version didnt do? Is the new version supposed to provide a better experience or more convenience? Is so, I dont see it. I like the old version better. The new site looks sterile. Kind of like it is half finished
Steve Gibson
If you were a pocket protector wearing geek with a keyboard that had keys that stick from unknown substances and no social life and could name every cast member from Star Wars this site would look like Marilyn Monroe to you!
Old 08-16-2013, 11:19 AM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, it looks like things are starting to improve. The repeat sign in problem has been fixed, thank goodness! Yes, things look different but give it time.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:55 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Agree. No need to log in every time now. And, with no messing with settings by me, I'm also now getting notifications of new posts in subscribed threads.

Now, get rid of these space-hogging blue bars between posts, and maybe a tad bigger default font size when posting.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:04 PM
SGibson

Originally Posted by erik valdez View Post
If you were a pocket protector wearing geek with a keyboard that had keys that stick from unknown substances and no social life and could name every cast member from Star Wars this site would look like Marilyn Monroe to you!
Well, I'm not, I don't and I can't. So it definitely does NOT look like Marilyn Monroe to me.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:04 PM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by dbacque View Post
Yes, things look different but give it time.
Give it time to what? for the programmers to do what they should have done in the very first place and made it look and feel like RCU? Or are you suggesting that I ought to just get used to this?

There are times that change is necessary, but can you explain to me why I should get used to something that looks like crap when it was arranged very nicely already and theres NO reason whatsoever why it had to look different?
Old 08-16-2013, 04:10 PM
spirit pilot

face it rc universe you blew it!!!
Old 08-16-2013, 04:57 PM
j.duncker

Originally Posted by BobbyMcGee View Post
As much as I can appreciate the work that goes into a migration, I think it was not handled correctly, or though out properly. Plus, IB is using their own software which may not be up to the task. Certainly, their programmers aren't.
Part of the problem is the drive to make the 'new' RCU as much like the old as possible. The software that runs RCU now is basically the same as quite a number of other smaller forums such as Sailnet.

BTW Just checked 852 on Sailnet 3448 on RCU.

Last edited by j.duncker; 08-16-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:45 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

if one of the objectives was to give this new RCU the familiar look of the old RCU, how did they manage to miss it so completely?
from just looks, i feel more like it is a RCG clone than even anything close to old RCU.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:47 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 98 Likes on 65 Posts

Well now that I haven't had to log out OR log IN in about 3 days, its getting better!
Old 08-16-2013, 10:10 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

blows!
Old 08-16-2013, 10:45 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by BadSplice View Post
There's very little I can do about Wall street, or whats happening in Egypt, or curing cancer. Those problems, while very real are just too vast for an average person to tackle...

But the website I visit most often blowing up its format to the dismay of almost all its users? That's a problem I might be able to have some impact on. Can you blame me for trying? (also, there's no guarantee at all that a horrible change of format will be temporary)
Well, to be honest since a few days after the new format RCU is working fine for me, just like the old site, the only real difference I notice is appearance and I actually prefer the new style of embedding videos and photographs.

I have no issue with people wanting more out of RCU or perhaps requesting some features that existed in the old format..

It is pointless to post things like "It sucks" or "It Blows" How about some constructive suggestions while understanding that this site is totally FREE.

People should remember the idiom... you catch more flies with Honey than with Vinegar..

Last edited by Rob2160; 08-16-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:54 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by ravill View Post

I still have to log in every time.

And bigger bolder script.
What browser are you using?

I visit RCU on a PC (IE and Firefox) , a Macbook Pro, (Safari and Firefox) , 2 Ipads, 2 Iphones and a Galaxy Tab and they all keep me logged in just like the old version.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:24 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by SGibson View Post
Steve Gibson
I would describe it as looking "cleaner" with greater "legibility" But that is just my opinion.

I think the biggest differences between the old and new RCU will be totally invisible to the average user.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:12 AM
BadSplice

Originally Posted by Rob2160 View Post
I would describe it as looking "cleaner" with greater "legibility" But that is just my opinion.

I think the biggest differences between the old and new RCU will be totally invisible to the average user.
I think the level of complaints about the new site look would suggest otherwise. And I strongly disagree that it looks cleaner than before. Its blockier and the page is filled with more junk than it was before. And the dark blue bars look awful.

RCU- Please get as close as possible to the classic look that we loved, rather than this blocky new look that most people dont like.

They CAN edit it back to how it was. And if we keep demanding that they do instead of giving up and accepting this, then they will.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:18 AM
Gene Margiotti
My Feedback: (4)

Ditto to what BadSplice has stated in numerous posts!! The new look is a very bad copy of RC Groups.

Gene
Old 08-17-2013, 05:37 AM
SteveC68

The SEARCH functionality alone is worth all of the teething problems of the new site. The log in issue was fixed for me at least a few days ago. If you are using Firefox you can clear cookies for just RCU without clearing them for every other website. I detailed the process in the bug reporting thread linked to at the top of every forum page.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:42 AM
ahamay

Originally Posted by Rob2160 View Post

I agree, the new rcu is much faster, cleaner and much easier to read. Apart from a few issues they still need to sort out.

This site is going to look like and operate like the vast majority of all other vbulletin based forums out there. Most of us that participate in other forums are already familiar with how they work.

If the old RCU was the only forum that you participated in then your in for a rude shock as most of the functionality that people are asking for from the old forum will never be available in the new forum,
Old 08-17-2013, 05:42 AM
mikey1964
My Feedback: (-1)

It's Free.....
Old 08-17-2013, 06:10 AM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Overall, a big step down for me. I find I am spending less time here than I was before. This is largely due to the fact that there is no way to get notified of a new thread topic by e-mail (too much "noise" to sort through to discover if there is new topic that I want to follow). I'm giving the RSS feed a try, but that seems to be marginal too.

On the plus side:
- Faster
- Cleaner look (the blue bars some seem to hate do not bother me at all)
- Improved posting tools

On the minus side:
- Forum subscription and notifications model is BIG step down (old site was perfect!)
- Way too much junk at the top of each page, the headers need to be streamlined and the old

Like others have said ... it's free, so you kind of get what you pay for.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:07 AM
whatwheel

Been gone for awhile, just steped into the new way and did not have the shoes for it.

Glenn.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:21 AM
JohnB96041

Not getting any email notifications of new posts in threads that I am subscribed to. What up? Is it some setting in my profile?
Old 08-17-2013, 08:45 AM
BadSplice

Originally Posted by ahamay View Post

This site is going to look like and operate like the vast majority of all other vbulletin based forums out there. Most of us that participate in other forums are already familiar with how they work.
I am familiar with other forums. RCU used to stand above the pile of mediocrity, now its under the pile. Really sad.

You can find good information all over the place.. The FORMAT you gather that information together in has lots of impact. This place used to be pleasant to browse around. Now its not. If it doesnt go back to classic RCU and becomes clear that will never happen, then I will mostly stop coming here. I really enjoyed this site though so Im not going to just walk away without trying. Im going to keep poking at this as long as is necessary.

Last edited by BadSplice; 08-17-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:31 PM
j.duncker

Originally Posted by JohnB96041 View Post
Not getting any email notifications of new posts in threads that I am subscribed to. What up? Is it some setting in my profile?
This is right at the top of the fixit list now they have sorted the login issue for most/all ?

There are those who do not want email notifications and are getting them [ me] and those who want them and can't get them.

It will get fixed.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:38 PM
JohnB96041

Originally Posted by j.duncker View Post
This is right at the top of the fixit list now they have sorted the login issue for most/all ?

There are those who do not want email notifications and are getting them [ me] and those who want them and can't get them.

It will get fixed.
Might also mention, that the email link of your post took me to page 4, not to the last post made.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.