Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Whats the best way to get glasses for distance

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Whats the best way to get glasses for distance

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 02:43 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whats the best way to get glasses for distance

HI all, been wearing Maui Jims(brown) lens, prescriptions, really like these, so I just got another set for high sunshine in dark grey. The first grey set I received was larger and had more wrap around, had to send them back, as I was getting distortion and did not feel good. Just received the second set yesterday, they were the same size as my brown ones, and the same prescription, but they are just not right, distortion on the sides, must be too dark ?.
I would really like to see a professional in distance for competitors, any idea's on what to Goggle.
Rcpete
Old 09-07-2013, 03:19 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete,

Get a small regular pair of distance glasses that will fit inside of a pair of Zurich sunglasses. Go to a show where Jerry is attending and he will adjust them to sit perfectly.

That's what I have.

B
Old 09-07-2013, 03:42 PM
rcpete347

HI Bolli, I have a pair of clear glasses under Zurich sunglasses and do not like it, it feels like you're looking through a dirty window. think about it, you're looking through 2 pairs of glasses .
Old 09-07-2013, 04:07 PM
rcpete347

Doing a search, found this article;
In some cases, cured or wrapped lenses take a few days for your eyes a brain to adjust to the wrap around view.
That's not good, don"t have a few days before I go flying.
Rcpete
Old 09-07-2013, 04:13 PM
rcpete347

Default maui jims

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0591.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1917660  
Old 09-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Get the Ziruch sunglasses and use them with your clear prescription glasses..........................Then keep Both pair CLEAN......Your eyes will not know you are wearing two pair of glasses. Jerry fits them with little Velcro stops so they sit on the temples of your regular glasses., not your nose. Been using them for years.........see?.......
Old 09-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Jetmodeler

Pete,
I just wear a pair of tinted prescription glasses, then close my eyes when I fly thru the sun.
Jim
Old 09-07-2013, 07:44 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Pete,

What Terry said. Jerry set mine up for me plus cleaned both and I can't tell that I'm wearing two pairs of glasses.

Boli
Old 09-07-2013, 11:10 PM
Jetflyer3000
Banned

Why not wear contact lenses and then glasses. Much better vision
Old 09-08-2013, 12:15 AM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetflyer3000
Why not wear contact lenses and then glasses. Much better vision
Contacts work well, just remember to blink regularly while flying. I had one shift during a blink as it had dried out a bit between blinks.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:20 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I also use a vitamin supplement geared toward eye health. Ocuvite, or a generic equivalent. It really helps!
Old 09-08-2013, 04:37 AM
fly210sv

I use RayBan wrap around bi-focals that Lenscrafter made for me. Really like them. Had them for 2 years. Great distance and great up close.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:38 AM
M3Baker

Contact lenses are the way to go. I have a high quality pair of sunglasses (Coasta Harpoon) with readers in them. I have tried several different colored lenses and the brown/amber seem to work the best. If you have a strong prescription, a curved lense in prescription sunglasses will distort your vision some. Especially if you are correcting astigmatism.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:46 AM
757jonp
My Feedback: (48)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I go to my eye doc, tell him I'm looking for the best long distance vision I can get, hold the close in stuff (no bifocals). Get that prescription and have new wire frame glasses made in a reasonable size, no tint, no fancy stuff, just lightweight plastic. Wal Mart has some nice polarized clip ons, fully adjustable, that work great on wire frames for about $20. Works for me.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:32 AM
ivesdo

Pete, I know this probably isn't what you are looking for, but I have always been happy with my transition lenses.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:04 AM
fireblade5437

Pete

My wife works in opticians 35 + yrs.. she said not the darkness more than likely how the lens has been made ie the curvature of the lens

She also said these lens do have a good name but that won't help if they have been formed wrongly for your prescription etc

Alan
Old 09-08-2013, 08:12 AM
siclick33

I have used 'Innovation Plus' glasses in the UK for quite a while and they are pretty reasonable. They come with different coloured lenses, which is great in the UK where the sky is always different!!

It appears that they are available in the US/Canada from http://www.modelglassesusa.com/
Old 09-08-2013, 12:18 PM
tim5713

I found some tinted "otg-(over the glass)" safety glasses at my local gun shop-army surpluss store for just over $5.oo. Just a bit bulky but suprisinly clear vision. For that price I have several pair in different vehicles and flight box. http://www.radians.com/radsite/index...category_id=83
Old 09-08-2013, 02:32 PM
jetmaven

I suggest you go to your optometrist , tell him what you do for fun ,what you need to see, and the environment you do it in . Then write a check .
Old 09-08-2013, 03:02 PM
rcpete347

Been flying for a lot of years, yes been their. I think a optometrist will not risk lawsuits for glasses made for extreme distances and not practical for every day use.
I also think pilot skills play heavy on most every day flying.
Would just like a pair with no distortion and wind resistant, nothing worse than salty tears, in your eyes, thats why I like wrap arounds.
I have a good pair of brown maui jims wraps for every day flying, just need a pair for bright sunshine
Rcpete
Old 09-08-2013, 05:08 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Originally Posted by rcpete347
Been flying for a lot of years, yes been their. I think a optometrist will not risk lawsuits for glasses made for extreme distances and not practical for every day use.
I also think pilot skills play heavy on most every day flying.
Would just like a pair with no distortion and wind resistant, nothing worse than salty tears, in your eyes, thats why I like wrap arounds.
I have a good pair of brown maui jims wraps for every day flying, just need a pair for bright sunshine
Rcpete
My optometrist didn't have a problem making me a prescription for flying. I can barely see the settings on my transmitter but I can clearly see a hobby king funfighter whizzing by at 100mph. Talk to him and tell him what you need and if it is a problem get another eye doctor. Also get the prescription made to the 1/8 diopter- most optical prescriptions will only go to the 1/4 diopter as it is close enough for most..
I wear cocoons over the top of my clear flying glasses. I use brown/amber lenses on cloudy days and gray on bright days.. Keep em clean and it works great!
Old 09-08-2013, 05:56 PM
rcpete347

HI all, been reading some articles on Polarization, and find polarization is not recommended for reading golf greens, causes distortion, interesting.
Rcpete
Old 09-08-2013, 06:18 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

What it sounds like you really need is sunglasses with flat front lenses and wrap around handles. It's not like you need the peripheral vision, just the protection from wind that the side shields give you. That said, I had a pair of prescription lenses made by Zurich and put into Oakley Fuel Cell frames. They have a fairly wide wrap around, and it's a pretty strong prescription. One eye is a +4 and both eyes have correction for astigmatism. I got the dark grey tint and find that I can see better with my Zurich's than with my regular prescription lenses. The wraparound distortion can make you feel like you are falling down backwards if you turn your head the wrong way and look out the corner of your eye, but for me it only took an hour or so to get used to that quirk and learn to look straight ahead. I've used fitovers too (Cocoons and Zurichs, preferred the Cocoons) but the comfort and improved vision that I get from the Zurich's makes them worth having.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:02 PM
rorywquin

Have used Zurichs and contact lenses. Both have been fine for me. Curently I'm back on contacts and have my left eye optimised toward near vision and my right eye for distance - a compromise but it works well for me and I can wear "cool" sunglasses. I've had my Zurichs for about 12 years and they have always been good even with contacts (think eye safety - at the field)
Old 09-09-2013, 06:46 AM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

On line is not a good way to get good glasses, On line will get you glasses that are cheap and close to being right but not quite.
There is more to glasses than just the prescription. When getting fitted for glasses they will be doing a lot of measurements to get the center of the prescription centered on your eye with the specific frame that you picked out, there is no way to get this perfect on line. At least this is what was explaned to me and I did notice a difference when it was done "correctly".

Go to your eye doc and get it done right. My eye doc made me a bunch of different glasses for different tasks.

I have my normal everyday glasses that are tri-focal with transition lenses and a good AR coating, I hate blended lenses.
I have a set for at work that are Bi-focal where the main lens is focused for 3-6 feet and the bottom bi-focal is for reading. I pretty much see nothing beyond 6 feet. I also have a couple more like this in safety glasses for working in my basement on building models.
I have a set of bifocals that are the main lens for distance and the bottom focused for arms length, just a little farther than normal reading. I use these for flying so I can see the plane and still read the screen on my TX just by dropping my eyes down quick. I also use these for hunting. I have this prescription in both clear and sunglasses.

My eye doc had no problem writing all of these prescriptions to get me able the see the best possible in all conditions. He did not mind the check that I wrote either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.