Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM F-100D build thread.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM F-100D build thread.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:19 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts
Default BVM F-100D build thread.

Yup, my turn at taking a stab at this bad boy.

Patty called me and said she'll be shipping it next week! Nice!!

I've seen build threads in various forms, but never one from start to finish, so I'll do that pleasure here.

Question for the guys that have built one: How much building do I have to do before I get it painted? I like to build, but I don't have the patience to paint and hence must pay for my impatience!

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:35 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are you going to build a BVM F100 and move your house at the same time?
Old 10-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Cooper
My Feedback: (4)

Default Bvm f-100

The BVM F-100 is an exceptionally well engineered and complete kit. However, it requires many hours to build to specs, and even more hours if you intend to scale it out with an opening canopy, and a lot of features. I would guess it would take between 150 and 200 hours to do a good job, before any paint or metal finish.

Best regards

Greg Anixter
Scottsdale AZ
Old 10-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are just going to build it as a basic flying airplane and not do all the over the top details to it. I can assure you that it could be build in around 80 hours. But as Greg A has said above for that all out Killer detailed Hun you will easily be into the 200 to 250Hr build time.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:44 PM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greg Wright
If you are just going to build it as a basic flying airplane and not do all the over the top details to it. I can assure you that it could be build in around 80 hours. But as Greg A has said above for that all out Killer detailed Hun you will easily be into the 200 to 250Hr build time.

Correction: If your name is Greg Wright, AND you have built 2 Huns and a Sabre, AND know *** you are doing and can rehearse both manuals simultaneously underwater, THEN you can crank one out in 80 hours sans scale accoutrements. If you are a mere mortal like the rest of us, plan on 150-200 hours. Then again Rav, you drive a Lambo and basically zoom around town like Vin Diesel, so maybe you CAN do it in 80 hrs.

Shaz
Old 10-23-2013, 02:45 PM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Raf, sounds like a good thing to work on in a month or 2 when it gets rainy. till then we should do some flying : )
Old 10-23-2013, 03:03 PM
JackD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sskianpour
Correction: If your name is Greg Wright, AND you have built 2 Huns and a Sabre, AND know *** you are doing and can rehearse both manuals simultaneously underwater, THEN you can crank one out in 80 hours sans scale accoutrements. If you are a mere mortal like the rest of us, plan on 150-200 hours. Then again Rav, you drive a Lambo and basically zoom around town like Vin Diesel, so maybe you CAN do it in 80 hrs.

Shaz
Haha... good one.

Greg is a machine..... It takes me 80 hours to build an ARF.

Raffy... if at any point you need any help, I can drop by or bring it to my house.

Dantley, don't you dare sell yours, we will have fun with our huns once raffy is done (2016?)
Old 10-23-2013, 05:37 PM
roger.alli

Good move Raf .. . BV himself once told me that the F 100 is the best flying model in his range.

And yep Shaz is correct. It takes as long as it takes.. The Huns are such a nice and well engineered pieces of kit that you can’t really rush through it.

I am building one and it has taken me nearly six months of part time, evenings mostly, just to finish the wings on my D version.. The Slats were a bit challenging, to get perfect, but they are very cool to see operating. I find that for this model in particular, I take extra care when cutting and fitting, just to keep my work up to the same standard of BVMs factory

I did have it put away for a year, (to build a Balsa Bob cat), but it is back on the board now and am starting on the Fuse and getting back into it. Man I need to get it done..

Rog
Old 10-23-2013, 06:33 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed!
btw, Greg is halfway through a third F-100 since this thread started! :-)
Old 10-23-2013, 07:57 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Raf just take your time and do it right. Cut all the vent holes and make it real scale. It is a plane that will last. Mine is over 13 years old. Good luck Dan
Old 10-24-2013, 04:57 AM
S_Ellzey

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by roger.alli
Good move Raf .. . BV himself once told me that the F 100 is the best flying model in his range.

And yep Shaz is correct. It takes as long as it takes.. The Huns are such a nice and well engineered pieces of kit that you can’t really rush through it.

I am building one and it has taken me nearly six months of part time, evenings mostly, just to finish the wings on my D version.. The Slats were a bit challenging, to get perfect, but they are very cool to see operating. I find that for this model in particular, I take extra care when cutting and fitting, just to keep my work up to the same standard of BVMs factory

I did have it put away for a year, (to build a Balsa Bob cat), but it is back on the board now and am starting on the Fuse and getting back into it. Man I need to get it done..

Rog
WOW!, that is exactly what happened when I built mine. Had a good start on the Hun, the wife's BobCat showed up, so I stopped work on the Hun to build the BobCat.
Great kit, lots of building, but it goes together correctly, and you are left with a great model.

Steven
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Thunderbird ONE.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	1932531  
Old 10-24-2013, 08:59 AM
ravill

Other than the wing tanks, pylons, airbrake, landing light and maybe nav lights and strobes (Dantley has me on a light envy streak!), I don't think I'll be going too crazy with the scale details. I like a flying man's airplane.

Originally Posted by sskianpour

Shaz

Originally Posted by dbsonic
Raf, sounds like a good thing to work on in a month or 2 when it gets rainy. till then we should do some flying : )
I like it!! Since, I am trying to buy house that gives me better access to my stuff as well, I think that timing will work out perfectly!

Originally Posted by JackD
Haha... good one.

Greg is a machine..... It takes me 80 hours to build an ARF.

Raffy... if at any point you need any help, I can drop by or bring it to my house.

Dantley, don't you dare sell yours, we will have fun with our huns once raffy is done (2016?)
Thanks Jack! Watching the Diaz family fly any airplane is awesome and your F-100 gets exercised on the regular! You guys are responsible for another gaping whole in my wallet! I love it!

And yeah, Dantley, all I do is facepalm myself when you sell another bad arse airplane! LOL!

Originally Posted by roger.alli

Rog
I have no qualms about how difficult it maybe to get the slats working, but if they are like all the other BV kits I've built, it should come together smoothly even if they are time consuming.

Originally Posted by DAN AVILLA
Raf just take your time and do it right. Cut all the vent holes and make it real scale. It is a plane that will last. Mine is over 13 years old. Good luck Dan
Dan the MAN! It is your single handed beautiful F-100 that just keeps flying, and flying and flying and flying.....that convinced me to get a BV F-100. I love Bandits and always will want one in my fleet and seeing you have your F-100 for so long makes me think I'll be loving my F-100 just the same.

So from the sounds of all the replies, I'm pretty much going to have to finish building it before I can paint it huh? Correction, pay someone to paint it?! LOL!
Old 10-24-2013, 09:10 AM
JackD

Originally Posted by ravill

So from the sounds of all the replies, I'm pretty much going to have to finish building it before I can paint it huh? Correction, pay someone to paint it?! LOL!
Finish it.... spray paint some hi viz lines, fly it a bunch of times and then send it for paint.... And please, don't make another fishing lure!!!! real planes are camo!!!!
Old 10-24-2013, 03:32 PM
roger.alli

Finish it.... spray paint some hi viz lines, fly it a bunch of times and then send it for paint.... And please, don't make another fishing lure!!!! real planes are camo!!!!
Haha. Too funny Jack .I am going to use that line next time I spy a beautiful, Flight Metal, 1000 hour finish masterpiece. ..

Rog
Old 10-24-2013, 05:34 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Sweet Raf! Awesome jet and I am sure you will fly the sh$t out of it! Cheers!
Old 11-13-2013, 09:27 AM
ravill

Thanks Nick!

First question gentlemen!

There is this extra "flap skin" thing that came with the kit. There is the factory made wood flap and then there is this thing. There is no mention of this piece in the instructions or the plans. What is it for? As the BVM flap looks a little different (bigger) than the scale flaps, is this for static display?

Old 11-13-2013, 10:15 AM
JackD

Originally Posted by ravill
Thanks Nick!

First question gentlemen!

There is this extra "flap skin" thing that came with the kit. There is the factory made wood flap and then there is this thing. There is no mention of this piece in the instructions or the plans. What is it for? As the BVM flap looks a little different (bigger) than the scale flaps, is this for static display?

Raffy, Im 99% sure that is just a left over from when they cut the wing. the flap is the wooden one.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

Default F-100 D model

This is how I flew mine last year...Like Jack said spray can with high viz orange.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	F-100 Rt66.jpg
Views:	1121
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	1938991  

Last edited by Gary Jefferson; 11-13-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:27 PM
ravill

Raffy, Im 99% sure that is just a left over from when they cut the wing. the flap is the wooden one.
Thank you Jack! I'll just put them aside then.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Jefferson
This is how I flew mine last year...Like Jack said spray can with high viz orange.

It's also how he is still flying it this year too. HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Gary but you had it coming.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:06 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

that's the $100 dollar bill gauge. see how many $100 dollar bills you can cram in there and that's how much the F100 will end up costing you!
This is looking like its going to be a long build!
Scott
Old 11-13-2013, 06:19 PM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

It's also how he is still flying it this year too. HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Gary but you had it coming.
Greg, I would just say I'll get it finished one of these years, but I have already stuck my foot in my mouth and told you I will have it finished for next season. Now I have to get it done!!!

Last edited by Gary Jefferson; 11-13-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:36 AM
ravill

Yeah, the F-100 is a $20+k jet for sure.

And there is lots of balsa sanding with it! Here are my flaps with the leading edges on them.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:57 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Been a long time since I remembering seeing all the parts in my kit!
How long until you say "uncle!!!!"
deflated yet? Or up for the challenge?
It took me a year part time just to install, rig, flight metal, rivet plumb, paint, graphics, nomenclature, detail, make ready! building it is only half the fun!!
Scott
Old 11-14-2013, 12:22 PM
Cooper

Cockpits are cool but take a while
Drop tanks are fun to Flite Metal
Wish it came 40% bigger
Best regards!
Greg Anixter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.