Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Old 07-31-2017, 04:35 PM
F1 Rocket

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by VK96
I agree Danny...given the "low rpm" cause for shut-down and the fact I still had control on the first flight I believe the events are unrelated. James was great and sent me a new CB200 just as a precaution so I can rule that out as well. While I know many people are using the serial set-up without issue I'm just not comfortable at this point. Unfortunately the cable loom with a CB200 would tie the ports into a common bus on the Pro. Just trying to decide how to best incorporate a gyro back into my system...for now I'll go old school and practice my stick and rudder skills!
Why give up all the benifits the Cortex provides? We have used the cable loom interface with the Central Boxes for years. There has never ever been a problem related to tieing the CB ports together via the Cortex power bus. In fact this is what happens in any standard receiver and there are thousands of airplanes equipped with just about every radio brand available flying like this. So nothing to fear here
Old 08-01-2017, 03:19 PM
roydefiant

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

wfield,
I am struggling trying to figure out how to post pictures now that we can no longer post from our laptops.
Last night playing around it looks like if I assign a rotary knob as trim to nose steering and rotate it quite a bit I can move the servo balancer to near 0. I know this is just a bandaid over the real problem (whatever keeps giving me a 50 on the servo balancer for that channel) but I think it will be a workaround. Will just need to make sure the knob is in correct position before every takeoff

Roy
Old 08-01-2017, 03:55 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

So why can't you upload from your computer? I just did.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	625.3 KB
ID:	2226495  
Old 08-01-2017, 04:39 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roydefiant
wfield,
I am struggling trying to figure out how to post pictures now that we can no longer post from our laptops.
Last night playing around it looks like if I assign a rotary knob as trim to nose steering and rotate it quite a bit I can move the servo balancer to near 0. I know this is just a bandaid over the real problem (whatever keeps giving me a 50 on the servo balancer for that channel) but I think it will be a workaround. Will just need to make sure the knob is in correct position before every takeoff

Roy
Roy,

Copy the model memory file from your transmitter Model directory to your PC and change the file extension from .jsn to .txt. Then when you post select Go Advanced and use insert attachment (looks like a paper clip) to post the file.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:46 PM
Mi-25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryC
Jeti trim is not a problem on a turbine, I use the throttle trim with its values adjusted to have just one step from off to run.
nws is nosewheel steering, I use the rudder stick trim to trim the nosewheel and disable the trim for the rudder itself, as normally jets do not need rudder trim.
Hi Harry,
please can you explain exactly how to use/assign the Rudder trim to NWS? I am using CH 12 on the CB200 for the NWS servo. I have tried under functions assignments to allocate NWS trim to the Rudder Trim buttons but no joy.
thanks,
Leon
Old 08-01-2017, 06:39 PM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by Mi-25
Hi Harry,
please can you explain exactly how to use/assign the Rudder trim to NWS? I am using CH 12 on the CB200 for the NWS servo. I have tried under functions assignments to allocate NWS trim to the Rudder Trim buttons but no joy.
thanks,
Leon
Leon,
Not Harry but you don't assign it in the Function Assignment..Simply go to Fine Tuning, Digital Trim menu, the scroll down to Rudder trim and change Rudder to Steering.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:44 PM
Mi-25

Default NWS trim

Originally Posted by wfield0455
Leon,
Not Harry but you don't assign it in the Function Assignment..Simply go to Fine Tuning, Digital Trim menu, the scroll down to Rudder trim and change Rudder to Steering.
Hi Wayne, nice to hear from you,,,that was easy, thanks for your help.
cheers,
Old 08-01-2017, 08:31 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Leon,
Harry,
That will work, but of course you lose the ability to trim the rudder since you can only make one selection per trim.

Alternatively, you can use a two position switch to act as throttle trim (using the switch as a throttle cut). That lets you assign the buttons normally used for throttle trim to trim the nose wheel steering instead. Create a NWS function, assign the trims in Digital Trim (make sure to scroll to the right and select trim Centered as it will be at Thr-Low). Use the trim buttons to check what direction the servo/nose wheel moves. I am cross trimmed (ail, elev on left, rudder, NWS on right) so when I press the up button I think of it like steering a car with my right hand; if I push the right side of the steering wheel up, the car turns left). If the steering moves in the opposite direction than you want, reverse the nose wheel servo. Then, use a mix to mix the rudder to nose wheel steering where the mix is activated by the gear down switch.

Regards,

Jim
Old 08-01-2017, 08:31 PM
rcjets_63

Duplicate post

Last edited by rcjets_63; 08-01-2017 at 08:32 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 08-01-2017, 10:11 PM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by roydefiant
wfield,

Roy
Glad to inform everyone here that Roy's Nose wheel issue has been resolved and all is well 😀.... it had to do with a switch assignment for nose wheel trim under "Digital Trim Menu". Once remove and line cleaned up all is well...

Enjoy flying Roy.....
Old 08-01-2017, 10:26 PM
LA jetguy

Settinng failsafe to idle defeats the ECUs failsafe.which shiuts down the turbine and I don't know why you would want to do that since it discards valuable information about the shutdown and if a crash results even idling increase the risk of a fire, though you can't completely eliminate that even if stopped. While how you set failsafe is a personal preference to say there is no way the CP could cause a turbine to shutdown us completely incorrect because if it caused a failsafe and you set your failsafe settings to use the ECUs loss of signal failsafe it most certainly can. From the low rpm being logged it doesn't sound like the cause but the loss of control still hasn't been explained which certainly concerns me enough to pull the CP from my skymaster hawk..
Without getting into too much detail as it has been addressed and discussed by Danny and Wayne... I can clearly state that "at this time" after several successful flights and a few flame outs I have NO logical result that the Cortex Pro in serial communication form caused my flame-outs.

As Danny stated I have flown my Rebel with Xicoy ECU a few times with throttle fail-safe set to idle and failed safe trigger set to 3.0sec. I have tested this failsafe programming on ground by disabling all communications and I can see that after 3.0 sec (plus 2.0sec ECU default) the engine goes to idle and stays at idle until communication is resumed and turbine comes back to throttle position.

Danny and I have discusssed other possibilities which I will test this week and will report to Danny. In the meanwhile, until proven to me, I have full trust in Cortex Pro and will fly my Rebel again this week.

During this weak test I will set fail safe time out back to 1.5 sec and fail safe setting for throttle to -125 (full shut down)

David
Old 08-02-2017, 03:28 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by LA jetguy
Without getting into too much detail as it has been addressed and discussed by Danny and Wayne... I can clearly state that "at this time" after several successful flights and a few flame outs I have NO logical result that the Cortex Pro in serial communication form caused my flame-outs.

As Danny stated I have flown my Rebel with Xicoy ECU a few times with throttle fail-safe set to idle and failed safe trigger set to 3.0sec. I have tested this failsafe programming on ground by disabling all communications and I can see that after 3.0 sec (plus 2.0sec ECU default) the engine goes to idle and stays at idle until communication is resumed and turbine comes back to throttle position.

Danny and I have discusssed other possibilities which I will test this week and will report to Danny. In the meanwhile, until proven to me, I have full trust in Cortex Pro and will fly my Rebel again this week.

During this weak test I will set fail safe time out back to 1.5 sec and fail safe setting for throttle to -125 (full shut down)

David
David,

This is why I never set my failsafes on a turbine turbine to idle or stop. If throttle failsafe is set to either send no pulse at all or a pulse outside the valid learned range all you would have needed to do is look at the ECU log to know whether or not your turbine was stopped due to a failsafe. If you set it to stop and have a shutdown due to a failsafe it will be logged as a "normal shutdown" instead of "lost RC" even if that is what actually happened. Unless your failsafe is set to allow the ECU to log" lost RC" if a failsafe occurs and following a flameout you have a different shutdown cause you will never really know if you went into failsafe or not...Still since it was set to idle then that wasn't the cause of your flameout.

So what did your ECU log as the shutdown cause following these flameouts? If a fuel issue I would expect low RPM. If not a fuel issue or a failsafe what are your current thoughts on the reason for your flameouts, static ??? I hate mysteries....

Last edited by wfield0455; 08-02-2017 at 03:40 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:36 AM
Mi-25

Hi Wayne, just like to pick your very sharp brains on a setup issue: I want to achieve the following, and there are probably various methods of achieving it, I'd just like to hear your take on it.
1) when I select the first flap setting, I want the elevator to trim nose up to my selected position...and move slowly (over about 5-7secs)
2) when selecting full flap the same with the elevator trimming further nose up.
3) then the reverse must occur (also slowly on the timer) until flaps UP and Elevator back to original trim position.
Don't think I'm jumping in here without having tried...I get it to work but during flap retraction the elevator "jumps" to the assigned trim position in both intermediate and flaps up position.
Flight modes trims work but there is no way I can input a time delay in this menu to slow the elevator travel down...doesn't seem to work.
Thanks in advance,
cheers,
Leon
Old 08-02-2017, 05:47 AM
LA jetguy

David,

This is why I never set my failsafes on a turbine turbine to idle or stop. If throttle failsafe is set to either send no pulse at all or a pulse outside the valid learned range all you would have needed to do is look at the ECU log to know whether or not your turbine was stopped due to a failsafe. If you set it to stop and have a shutdown due to a failsafe it will be logged as a "normal shutdown" instead of "lost RC" even if that is what actually happened. Unless your failsafe is set to allow the ECU to log" lost RC" if a failsafe occurs and following a flameout you have a different shutdown cause you will never really know if you went into failsafe or not...Still since it was set to idle then that wasn't the cause of your flameout.

So what did your ECU log as the shutdown cause following these flameouts? If a fuel issue I would expect low RPM. If not a fuel issue or a failsafe what are your current thoughts on the reason for your flameouts, static ??? I hate mysteries....
The ECU indicated "Speedlow" for all flameouts.. The Xicoy ECU logs failesafe when turbine is at idle and communication is terminated... when the turbine is at mid speed and communication is terminated the ECU reports "speed low"... I have emailed Gaspar about this and waiting to hear... he is on vacation.

Also my understanding is that the Xicoy ECU unlike Jetcat ECU is more resistance to static issues.

I have a few other test to conduct this week and I will report more... stay tuned..

David
Old 08-02-2017, 06:35 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rcjets_63
Harry,
That will work, but of course you lose the ability to trim the rudder since you can only make one selection per trim.

Alternatively, you can use a two position switch to act as throttle trim (using the switch as a throttle cut). That lets you assign the buttons normally used for throttle trim to trim the nose wheel steering instead. Create a NWS function, assign the trims in Digital Trim (make sure to scroll to the right and select trim Centered as it will be at Thr-Low). Use the trim buttons to check what direction the servo/nose wheel moves. I am cross trimmed (ail, elev on left, rudder, NWS on right) so when I press the up button I think of it like steering a car with my right hand; if I push the right side of the steering wheel up, the car turns left). If the steering moves in the opposite direction than you want, reverse the nose wheel servo. Then, use a mix to mix the rudder to nose wheel steering where the mix is activated by the gear down switch.

Regards,

Jim
Jim, besides maybe a maiden, when was the last time you trimmed the rudder of a single engine jet in flight?
Old 08-02-2017, 07:08 AM
VK96

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ECU indicated "Speedlow" for all flameouts.. The Xicoy ECU logs failesafe when turbine is at idle and communication is terminated... when the turbine is at mid speed and communication is terminated the ECU reports "speed low"... I have emailed Gaspar about this and waiting to hear... he is on vacation.

Also my understanding is that the Xicoy ECU unlike Jetcat ECU is more resistance to static issues.

I have a few other test to conduct this week and I will report more... stay tuned..

David
I'll be interested to hear Gaspar's response....
Old 08-02-2017, 01:17 PM
wfield0455

David
David,

I'll be interested to here what Gaspar has to say as well but my guess is Speed Low means that the ECU had increased the pump voltage to some safe limit without seeing an increase in RPM. When I've encountered this error in the past it's always been something was restricting fuel flow but I guess it could be a bad fuel pump or anything that could limit the fuel supply or even a weak ECU battery or flaky RPM sensor..I think you're probably right about the static issues and since you mentioned it reports "speed low" I wouldn't think static would be likely to cause that error anyway.. In any event I'm sure you'll get it figured out soon..

Last edited by wfield0455; 08-02-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:27 PM
wfield0455

Hi Wayne, just like to pick your very sharp brains on a setup issue: I want to achieve the following, and there are probably various methods of achieving it, I'd just like to hear your take on it.
1) when I select the first flap setting, I want the elevator to trim nose up to my selected position...and move slowly (over about 5-7secs)
2) when selecting full flap the same with the elevator trimming further nose up.
3) then the reverse must occur (also slowly on the timer) until flaps UP and Elevator back to original trim position.
Don't think I'm jumping in here without having tried...I get it to work but during flap retraction the elevator "jumps" to the assigned trim position in both intermediate and flaps up position.
Flight modes trims work but there is no way I can input a time delay in this menu to slow the elevator travel down...doesn't seem to work.
Thanks in advance,
cheers,
Leon
Leon
That is exactly how I have all my jets setup. I use the following to get this behavior.
I setup 3, flap based flight modes; Normal/No Flaps, Half/Takeoff Flaps and Full/Landing Flaps. Each flight mode has a flight mode delay that I think appropriate so I like the speed the Flaps are deployed at.
I then use the Digital Trim menu to set the Elevator to Separate instead of Global giving me independent Elevator trims for each flight mode and the elevator trim will follow the flight mode delay so it is perfectly synced to the flaps..
If you have done the same and your elevator is jumping instead of smoothly following tracking with the flaps take a look in the Fine Tuning Function curves menu and make certain the FM delay for the Elevator function curve is selected.
I thin it is by default by I helped someone else with this problem the FM delay box being deselected was the issue.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:56 PM
roydefiant

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

servo balancer
This post is for lost souls to find on this forum should they encounter the issue that I just resolved thanks to help from the jeti experts on this forum.
I use a blank model to copy for all my jets. In the blank under digital trim was NWS assigned to switch SE that I never used but had a value of "0" Before I assigned my gyro gain to SE I deleted the SE in digital trim adjacent to NWS but did not delete NWS. For some reason that assigned a "value" of 98 to the NWS in the digital trim that I missed despite rates staying at 100 and subtrim at 0. The result was the servo balancer on the servo set-up was off by 50. With the above mentioned help I went back the digital trim and ended up with 2 solutions. One was to just get rid of the NWS in digital trim which I was not using anyway which was what I did. The other option was to go down to the wrench icon and clear the trim.
Fortunate to have this forum and experts willing to share their knowledge!

Roy
Old 08-02-2017, 08:10 PM
rcjets_63

Originally Posted by causeitflies
Jim, besides maybe a maiden, when was the last time you trimmed the rudder of a single engine jet in flight?
Mark,
LOL, uhhh....never, but the point is that I can!!!!
Regards,
Jim
Old 08-02-2017, 10:54 PM
LA jetguy

David,

I'll be interested to here what Gaspar has to say as well but my guess is Speed Low means that the ECU had increased the pump voltage to some safe limit without seeing an increase in RPM. When I've encountered this error in the past it's always been something was restricting fuel flow but I guess it could be a bad fuel pump or anything that could limit the fuel supply or even a weak ECU battery or flaky RPM sensor..I think you're probably right about the static issues and since you mentioned it reports "speed low" I wouldn't think static would be likely to cause that error anyway.. In any event I'm sure you'll get it figured out soon..
Wayne.... I ruled out fuel flow issue since I get several good flights before a flame out... I will try a few other programming possibilities, including frame rate adjustments and if the issue continues I will swap my engine with my spare M140XBL and test and then replace ECU and finally fuel pump... As you know I have a good inventory of Jet Munts turbine....😃

i will get to,the bottom of this and will report...

David
Old 08-02-2017, 11:06 PM
Mi-25

Leon
That is exactly how I have all my jets setup. I use the following to get this behavior.
I setup 3, flap based flight modes; Normal/No Flaps, Half/Takeoff Flaps and Full/Landing Flaps. Each flight mode has a flight mode delay that I think appropriate so I like the speed the Flaps are deployed at.
I then use the Digital Trim menu to set the Elevator to Separate instead of Global giving me independent Elevator trims for each flight mode and the elevator trim will follow the flight mode delay so it is perfectly synced to the flaps..
If you have done the same and your elevator is jumping instead of smoothly following tracking with the flaps take a look in the Fine Tuning Function curves menu and make certain the FM delay for the Elevator function curve is selected.
I thin it is by default by I helped someone else with this problem the FM delay box being deselected was the issue.
Ok Wayne, that worked a treat - thanks for sharing.
One problem I now have is; If I trim UP elevator using the digital trims as I would in flight, the elevator moves correctly to my new trim position.
When I then select 1st flap stage the elevator moves (within the set time) to the ORIGINAL elevator trim position I set in Flight Mode Trim....(which now cancels out my in flight trim settings). Selecting Full Flap then caused by the elevator to settle at the position I trimmed under Flight Mode Trim.
This negates ANY elevator trim I've set in flight. I'm probably doing something wrong...

Ideas please?
Leon
Old 08-03-2017, 07:29 AM
wfield0455

Ok Wayne, that worked a treat - thanks for sharing.
One problem I now have is; If I trim UP elevator using the digital trims as I would in flight, the elevator moves correctly to my new trim position.
When I then select 1st flap stage the elevator moves (within the set time) to the ORIGINAL elevator trim position I set in Flight Mode Trim....(which now cancels out my in flight trim settings). Selecting Full Flap then caused by the elevator to settle at the position I trimmed under Flight Mode Trim.
This negates ANY elevator trim I've set in flight. I'm probably doing something wrong...

Ideas please?
Leon
Leon,

If you set your elevator trim to Separate instead of Global you would no longer need or want to use flight mode trim for elevator so I'd clear that out. You should then be able to select each flight mode and adjust the elevator trim tabs (or auto trim) to any position you want and it should smoothly and repeatably move to that same position each time that flight mode is selected.

Last edited by wfield0455; 08-03-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:02 PM
Mi-25

Absolutely Wayne, I'm on S for elevator under Digital Trim, and that works great, but I think there's possibly a misunderstanding.
Scenario:
I takeoff and in normal flight with flaps UP I find I'm holding quiet a lot of UP elevator for level flight....fine....so I then use the normal elevator trim and trim the elevator 'hands off'.
This is where my problem comes in:
When I select 1st stage flap the elevator RETURNS to the Digital Trim position (preset value).
When I then select landing flap the elevator trims to the preset position set in Flight Modes.
So, what I'm attempting to pass on is that the elevator ignores my new 'hands off' elevator trim position. It seems to ONLY honour the presets when I run Flaps.

Hope I'm explaining myself clearly, if I'm still wrong would you mind posting some screenshots of your setup pages please?
cheers,
Leon
Old 08-04-2017, 04:48 AM
wfield0455

Absolutely Wayne, I'm on S for elevator under Digital Trim, and that works great, but I think there's possibly a misunderstanding.
Scenario:
I takeoff and in normal flight with flaps UP I find I'm holding quiet a lot of UP elevator for level flight....fine....so I then use the normal elevator trim and trim the elevator 'hands off'.
This is where my problem comes in:
When I select 1st stage flap the elevator RETURNS to the Digital Trim position (preset value).
When I then select landing flap the elevator trims to the preset position set in Flight Modes.
So, what I'm attempting to pass on is that the elevator ignores my new 'hands off' elevator trim position. It seems to ONLY honour the presets when I run Flaps.

Hope I'm explaining myself clearly, if I'm still wrong would you mind posting some screenshots of your setup pages please?
cheers,
Leon
I'm still not sire I'm understanding as there is no preset elevator value under digital trim.By default all trims are set to neutral or 0% but if you change them with the trim tabs that is the new value and if set Elevator to S in the digital trim menu each and every flight mode will have it's own trim setting.which is whatever value it was set to using the trim tabs.. For example select Normal mode (no flaps) and adjust the elevator trim to something like +10%, then select Takeoff or half flap mode and use the elevator trim to set +20% elevator trim and then select landing of full flaps mode and adjust elevator trim tabs for +30%. When you select normal mode the elevator trim will return to +10% and the change will happen using the flight mode delay. Go to full flap and it will return to +30% back to ha;lf flaps and it will return to 20% elevator trim.. I'm not understanding what you mean by a "preset" value.as the elevator trim value will be whatever you set using the trim tabs while in that flight mode and it will remember it until you intentionally change it... Go into your flight mode trim menu and select each flight mode and if elevator is set to a value other than 0 any flight mode reset it back to 0 as you don't need or want ANY flight mode trim on elevator if you are using separate digital trims.
Even if your flight modes aren't all "flap based" (mine are) they will still all have separate elevator trim value of whatever you adjusted your elevator trim to the last time you were in that flight mode.

I think were missing something basic here but I'm not quite sure just yet... When you select flight modes do you see them being selected on the transmitter display and to the flaps change for each flight mode ?
If you want to post your model memory I'll load it into my transmitter and take a look. Just change the file extension from .jsn to .txt and you should be able to post it here..If you prefer send me a PM and I'll give you my email address and you can send it to me directly if you think that would be helpful..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.