Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Old 01-26-2014, 04:28 PM
Jeti USA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wfield0455
Can someone please explain to me the benefit of the Other Model Options->Throttle Idle setting. As someone that has always simply mechanically adjusted their engines throttle linkage to idle when the throttle trim is centered and then set their Throttle Cut value to fully close the carburetor when the Throttle Cut function is activated I'm having difficulty understanding the value of a throttle idle setting and the ability to associate it with a switch. Also, I often have to adjust my throttle trim to a click of 2 over the days flying as the idle changes slightly based on ambient temperature, humidity, etc. I just don't seem to be able to grasp the usefulness of an idle setting that isn't directly accessible from the transmitters front panel or why tying it to a switch would be useful. Just trying to learn and understand all of the features in the transmitter and was wondering if there is actually something cool about this setting that I'm just not seeing....
Very simple, sometimes you want to flip a switch and lock idle. The throttle is disabled but airplane is happily sitting on the ground with engine idling.

Zb/Jeti USA
Old 01-26-2014, 05:44 PM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Can someone please explain to me the benefit of the Other Model Options->Throttle Idle setting. As someone that has always simply mechanically adjusted their engines throttle linkage to idle when the throttle trim is centered and then set their Throttle Cut value to fully close the carburetor when the Throttle Cut function is activated I'm having difficulty understanding the value of a throttle idle setting and the ability to associate it with a switch. Also, I often have to adjust my throttle trim to a click of 2 over the days flying as the idle changes slightly based on ambient temperature, humidity, etc. I just don't seem to be able to grasp the usefulness of an idle setting that isn't directly accessible from the transmitters front panel or why tying it to a switch would be useful. Just trying to learn and understand all of the features in the transmitter and was wondering if there is actually something cool about this setting that I'm just not seeing....
I use the throttle idle to bring the trim up to a certain level with a flip of a switch rather than pressing the throttle trim so many times.... In a Jetcat turbine setup you can adjust your ATV -75 and +75 and set throttle idle at 25% assigned to a switch....
Old 01-26-2014, 06:10 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeti USA
Very simple, sometimes you want to flip a switch and lock idle. The throttle is disabled but airplane is happily sitting on the ground with engine idling.

Zb/Jeti USA
It also allows you to assign another switch to the throttle, and limit it, such as P8 or a slider, thusly making a turbine trim knob/switch.. I use it to P8 at 15%, and it acts like an analog trim knob.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:27 PM
gooseF22

Another cool thing you all might not have discovered is that you can assign the Display organization to the different flight modes.. You can place the Displayed telemetry into S (flight mode), and then rearrange telemetry for each flight mode and it will switch automatically to that sensor arrangement on the display..

Or you can leave it global and it will be the same for all modes.. you just 3D select the title on displayed sensors.. very cool.

Also, you can place a telemetry point in place of the main clock in the top line of the display. It will display one or two receiver percents, any telemetry point, total model time, or Rx voltage.. I set all my models to receiver antenna %, exc the jets with capacity counters, where I display Capacity MaH on the MU30 fuel sensor.. Its always displayed like a header.. very cool
Old 01-26-2014, 07:33 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeti USA

Zb/Jeti USA
Makes sense now, I hadn't made the connection that it disabled the throttle and was viewing at as simply being a way to set the idle speed...
Old 01-26-2014, 07:50 PM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by gooseF22
It also allows you to assign another switch to the throttle, and limit it, such as P8 or a slider, thusly making a turbine trim knob/switch.. I use it to P8 at 15%, and it acts like an analog trim knob.
This sounds interesting but I'm not sure I'm completely understand this. I tried setting the switch to P8 and setting the offset to 15% yet P8 doesn't seem to really act as a trim but rather a switch that when P8 is set to the trip point, changes the idle by 15%. Is that what you're expecting or did I do something wrong?
Old 01-26-2014, 09:23 PM
gooseF22

Hey guys, a lot of things will work, but Jim and I are working on a set of numbers for Jetcat/Projet, and Gaspar shortly.. we have found a few limitations due to the jeti over driving the ATV..

Jim will publish them as soon as he tests them on the Jetcat..

What he will give is our best assessment of an overall good tradeoff between range and response to stick movements
Old 01-26-2014, 09:28 PM
gooseF22

Actually we are finding that idle offset should be disabled.. It isn't needed for turbines.. just use the max throw in the function... again, Jim will be publishing some numbers on that as well.. I retested the idle offset tonight, all it does is bias the trim range upward or downward.. thats more useful on a gasser aircraft, or trying to sync up two engines..
Old 01-27-2014, 06:30 AM
bluelevel
My Feedback: (39)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wayne,

this function is useful to program a slightly higher idle setting that is activated by flipping a switch. Aerobatic pilots often use this function to make sure that their engine doesn't quit during high G / idle maneuvers and use "normal idle" just for landing.

Thomas
Old 01-27-2014, 06:46 AM
Walo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mean that you weren't aware of a ECU / Ex Bus monitor for JetCat turbines: http://www.cb-elektronics.de/ECU%20P...isch%201_0.pdf
We discussed it in the european Jeti forum. Implementation for the EX bus protocol is planned but not yet realized.

Regards, Walter
Old 01-27-2014, 08:54 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by Walo
We discussed it in the european Jeti forum. Implementation for the EX bus protocol is planned but not yet realized.

Regards, Walter
Walter,
I'm a bit confused. I recently ordered one of these and it appears to work fine when connected via the receivers EXT connector so I assume it must at least partially implement the Ex Bus protocol. Are you referring to bidirectional communications being added at some point so it could be used to access Ground support unit functions such a pump test, etc? Currently I needed to go to the Display Telemetry menu and add Jetbox to the telemetry view and turbine EGT, RPM, etc show up there in the telemetry display...
Old 01-27-2014, 09:31 AM
LA jetguy

Walter,
I'm a bit confused. I recently ordered one of these and it appears to work fine when connected via the receivers EXT connector so I assume it must at least partially implement the Ex Bus protocol. Are you referring to bidirectional communications being added at some point so it could be used to access Ground support unit functions such a pump test, etc? Currently I needed to go to the Display Telemetry menu and add Jetbox to the telemetry view and turbine EGT, RPM, etc show up there in the telemetry display...
Wayne.. I have two JJXC and they work well. The EX version should allow you to set alarms for EGT, Pump voltage and RPM individually. The current one displays all that info on one screen using the Jeti emulation. You can set alarm for fuel remaining and ECU voltage using the morse code alarms in the Alarm menus. The trigger values for both fuel remaining and ECU voltage is set using the potentiometer on the JJXC board. My understanding with the next version (EX hopefully) is that each item reported including fuel remaining and ECU voltage can be adjusted directly through the transmitter...

Hope that clarifies
Old 01-27-2014, 03:31 PM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by LA jetguy
Wayne.. I have two JJXC and they work well. The EX version should allow you to set alarms for EGT, Pump voltage and RPM individually. The current one displays all that info on one screen using the Jeti emulation. You can set alarm for fuel remaining and ECU voltage using the morse code alarms in the Alarm menus. The trigger values for both fuel remaining and ECU voltage is set using the potentiometer on the JJXC board. My understanding with the next version (EX hopefully) is that each item reported including fuel remaining and ECU voltage can be adjusted directly through the transmitter...

Hope that clarifies
Makes perfect sense now.. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:10 AM
gooseF22

Habu 32... Duplex 9 installed, with the cortex gyro, and an RL5 in dual path.. Installed with MLI6 batt sensor, and MUI75 Current sensor..

Used the EXT port on the Sat receiver as an "expander", since I had 2 sensors.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1521.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	1962910  
Old 01-28-2014, 11:16 AM
LA jetguy

Goose.. you will enjoy the cortex gyro... make sure that your expo's are zero otherwise the controls will be too soft... did you upgrade firmware of the cortex??... How much gain you will start-off with.. remember negative (-) gain is gyro mode (amber light) and positive (+) is hold mode (green light)...
Old 01-28-2014, 12:59 PM
gooseF22

Yep, I lowered the expo, but will do more..

My settings are -11% for cruise, -17% for Takeoff, and -24% for landing mode.. I have a disable switch as well to kill it..

firmware 1.3
disabled the Heading hold mode in the computer.. amber lights... red when I hit the off switch..
Old 01-28-2014, 01:50 PM
LA jetguy

Goose... looks good but I would double the gains... they are too small. I have -65% running on all flight modes in my Bandit and Bobcat....
Old 01-28-2014, 06:21 PM
gooseF22

I thought it looked a little soft at first glance..thanks..
Old 01-28-2014, 08:22 PM
LA jetguy

The following chart was posted in another forum by our friend Puttputtmaru in french. I think it has useful information for all Jeti users:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jeti receiver.pdf (46.7 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by LA jetguy; 01-28-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:36 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

There has been some discussion about various ways to set up the throttle, trims, and kill switches. I'm experimenting to see if there is simple/easy to program method that will work for turbines from several manufacturers.

Edit: I originally posted a procedure but I've removed it when some additional info became available.

Regards,

Jim

Last edited by rcjets_63; 01-30-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:59 PM
rcjets_63

BTW, at the request of several turbine users, Jeti will be making a firmware change to increase the authority of the digital trim buttons (currently limited to a maximum step size of 10) such that you can go from trim high to trim low in two presses. This will make the throttle trim buttons quicker/easier to use and more appropriate for doing a quick emergency shutdown.

Regards,

Jim
Old 01-29-2014, 06:40 AM
wfield0455

Thanks for posting this. I may be mistaken, but this setup doesn't use the ECUs fail-safe, correct? I prefer to let the ECU handle fail-safes as the ECU then logs that a fail-safe condition occurred if you have a flame-out instead of simply logging it as a normal shutdown. I'm assuming that the only change required in this setup to allow the ECU to handle the fail-safe would be to change the receiver fail-safe value to provide a pulse width outside of the learned range such as 1000us and also to reduce the receivers fail-safe time to a small value since the ECU has it's own fail-safe timer, does that sound correct ? This should also work well with the JetCat ECU as I have both Kingteck and JetCat turbines and I've been able to use the same setup on both...

Last edited by wfield0455; 01-29-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:15 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by rcjets_63
BTW, at the request of several turbine users, Jeti will be making a firmware change to increase the authority of the digital trim buttons (currently limited to a maximum step size of 10) such that you can go from trim high to trim low in two presses. This will make the throttle trim buttons quicker/easier to use and more appropriate for doing a quick emergency shutdown.

Regards,

Jim
Any mention of them perhaps scaling their travel adjust settings as the current values result in much larger pulse width changes than similar setting on other transmitters ? For example, going from Spektrum with +/-100% travel adjust settings for throttle, on my Jeti I needed to reduce my throttle settings to +/- 75% to avoid over driving my throttle linkage. On several of my jets, which have 1:1 ratio of servo arms to control horns, I'm finding that I need to reduce my travels to +/- 50% to get the throws desired and I'm concerned about the loss of servo resolution. I realize I could of course change linkages, etc, but these were always fine with JR, Spektrum and Futaba transmitters..
Old 01-29-2014, 12:13 PM
gooseF22

by Design: the Jeti is set up for 100% to be 500 uSec, whereas the JR/Fut approximates 100% to be 400uSec.. the Jeti will send 1000uSec at -100%, 1500uSec at mid/center, and 2000uSec at +100% ATV...so by default, you will have to set your throws down to the 80% to begin with if converting a plane over that is already set up..

There will be no difference in servo resolution from the JR to the Jeti.. Once the ATV and Max ATV have been set.. Servo input is PW, regardless of how it gets there.. the radio has way more resolution than can be seen..

On the contrary, when you set up a model from the beginning, now that servos have more throw with the JETI at 100%, you will be able to shorten linkages and provide more torque to the surface, and provide more strength to the drivetrain.. Most servos can handle 900-2100uSec just fine, so Jeti uses 1000-2000 as its baseline.. thats the way it should be..

Hope that makes sense...

SO... if converting an already set up plane over from JR/Fut, set throws to whatever the JR radio says multiplied by 80%, as a start then fine tune.. IF the throw JR is 60%, then set 48% in the Jeti..and so forth..

goose..
Old 01-29-2014, 03:22 PM
rcjets_63

Thanks for posting this. I may be mistaken, but this setup doesn't use the ECUs fail-safe, correct? I prefer to let the ECU handle fail-safes as the ECU then logs that a fail-safe condition occurred if you have a flame-out instead of simply logging it as a normal shutdown. I'm assuming that the only change required in this setup to allow the ECU to handle the fail-safe would be to change the receiver fail-safe value to provide a pulse width outside of the learned range such as 1000us and also to reduce the receivers fail-safe time to a small value since the ECU has it's own fail-safe timer, does that sound correct ? This should also work well with the JetCat ECU as I have both Kingteck and JetCat turbines and I've been able to use the same setup on both...
Yes, the setup changes in your post sound correct, but I don’t see any advantage of letting the JetCat ECU delay handle the fail-safes when using a Jeti receiver. The ECU failsafe delay feature was particularly useful with receivers without an adjustable failsafe delay. A JR receiver (for example) takes about 1 second of lost signal (45 frames) to go into hold; the JetCat ECU failsafe delay gave the plane more time to reacquire the signal before the ECU shut off the turbine. (AMA rules allow up to 2 seconds total). However, Jeti receivers have an adjustable delay so the ECU delay is not needed. As for the JetCat ECU log showing a failsafe command (as opposed to a normal RC Off), this really isn’t useful information because the RC Off signal would only be generated by either a real failsafe or you actually commanding an RC Off in flight.

Regards,

Jim

Last edited by rcjets_63; 01-30-2014 at 08:01 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.