Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 02:09 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by monkeyking
Hi HarryC
Take a look at this forum, maybe you will find the answer easily
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1693301
Not a hope amongst 400+ pages!
Surely the US distributor on this thread knows the answer?
Old 12-01-2013, 03:55 PM
bluelevel
My Feedback: (39)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Blancr
Great - thanks Gasper
Bob
Bob,

I am using the same combination and unfortunately there is an issue with this configuration. The Jeti PPM output signal is not the best, a slight servo jitter is the result. The solution is using the new digital EX bus output which is supported by Powerbox products as well, this combination works flawlessly. The only downside is that the EX bus output is only available at the "Ext" labelled port of the receivers which is otherwise the output to connect your telemetry sensors to.The only way around is using a third receiver that serves for telemetry purposes only. This can be a cheap 3 or 5 channel receiver that costs $65

Thomas
Old 12-01-2013, 04:08 PM
bluelevel

Originally Posted by HarryC
I have some models with 20 servos etc, how do I control them using Jeti? The 18Rx with 2 satellites has 16 outputs, so does the Central box (100 or 200) allow for adding servos, for example input 1 can be mapped to outputs 1 and 2, input 2 mapped to output 3 and 4 and so on, with independent control of centres and travels for each output so that 1 incoming channel can be mapped to 2 aileron servos, 2 flap servos and so on? The Central boxes have a battery input so does that mean that batteries have to be carried for both the Rx and for the Central box?
The central box allows you to match all connected servos (set endpoints and center individually) and assign them to ANY channel you want. The batteries are plugged into the central box, the receivers are connected to the central box with just one lead each. They receiver their power from the central box.

If using more than 16 servos, I think you won't get around using a Powerbox or similar product that offers more outputs. A cheaper way would be using a combination of the central box and matchboxes for channels 17-20.

Thomas
Old 12-01-2013, 04:25 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have some models with 20 servos etc, how do I control them using Jeti? The 18Rx with 2 satellites has 16 outputs, so does the Central box (100 or 200) allow for adding servos, for example input 1 can be mapped to outputs 1 and 2, input 2 mapped to output 3 and 4 and so on, with independent control of centres and travels for each output so that 1 incoming channel can be mapped to 2 aileron servos, 2 flap servos and so on? The Central boxes have a battery input so does that mean that batteries have to be carried for both the Rx and for the Central box?
Hi Harry,

I've read through the first 200 pages of the 400+ pages in that "other forum" and I don't think the answer is there so that will save you a bit of reading, LOL.

I haven't experimented with a high number of servos (it's high on my to-do list) but I believe the following is correct.

1) The Central Box has two battery inputs (with Multiplex connectors). The receivers do not require their own batteries as they are powered by the PPM (3 wire servo lead) line from the Central Box to the receiver.
2) The Central Box has outputs for 15 servos. All have adjustable end points and midpoints. If you want to connect 20 servos, it won't be enough on it's own

As I said, I haven't tried a setup for a large number of servos or mapping. I suspect that it can be done using, for instance, a R14 or R18 receiver with a second smaller receiver such as an R7 to give you the extra servo ports. Hopefully ZB will jump in here and quickly give you an answer.

Regards,

Jim

Last edited by rcjets_63; 12-01-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Jeti USA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelevel
Bob,

I am using the same combination and unfortunately there is an issue with this configuration. The Jeti PPM output signal is not the best, a slight servo jitter is the result. The solution is using the new digital EX bus output which is supported by Powerbox products as well, this combination works flawlessly. The only downside is that the EX bus output is only available at the "Ext" labelled port of the receivers which is otherwise the output to connect your telemetry sensors to.The only way around is using a third receiver that serves for telemetry purposes only. This can be a cheap 3 or 5 channel receiver that costs $65

Thomas
Sorry but this is NOT correct.
There is NO good and bad PPM signal, PPM is digital data stream. It works or it does not. You need to change you setting for the servos go to 20ms it should stop the jitters.

Also incorrect, EXT Bus is Telemetry, if you use 2x receivers with Central Box you are getting telemetry as well. Central Box has 3x telemetry inputs.

Zb/Jeti USA
Old 12-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Jeti USA

Cleanest way is to use 2x Central Boxes 200 and 4x receivers. This way you can assign pin to any channels you like. Also you can take advantage Antenna Diversity as well as Dual Redundant Power.

Zb/Jeti USA
Old 12-01-2013, 05:50 PM
bluelevel

Originally Posted by rcjets_63
I suspect that it can be done using, for instance, a R14 or R18 receiver with a second smaller receiver such as an R7 to give you the extra servo ports. Hopefully ZB will jump in here and quickly give you an answer.
The radio is capable of 16 individual channels, so extra receivers don't give you extra channels, but of course they give you additional ports! A model with 20 servos has most likely more than one servo per surface, for example two aileron servos per wing or two ganged rudder servos. In this case you could use an R14 + an R7 receiver to give you 21 ports. One of the aileron servos would then be connected to the R14 receiver for example on port 2 and the other ganged servo on the same port 2 of the other R7 receiver. The servo center and endpoints would then have to be set IN THE RECEIVERS, because adjusting them in the radio would affect both servos at the same time. If you are using Hitec servos you could program the servos as well and not the receivers.

Although this is feasible, I think this configuration is less than ideal. A model with 20 servos is most likely an expensive jet, so you want redundancy with two independent receivers. I would either use the central box for servos 1-15 and matchboxes for servos 16-20 or two receivers with a SRS powerbox.

ZB's suggestion is of course also possible, but costs a lot more.

Thomas
Old 12-01-2013, 06:10 PM
bluelevel

Originally Posted by Jeti USA
There is NO good and bad PPM signal, PPM is digital data stream. It works or it does not. You need to change you setting for the servos go to 20ms it should stop the jitters.
The PPM signal is a computed analog signal, therefore the quality of that signal can vary. I noticed your wording "should stop the jitters". Have you tested it yourself? I doubt that, because you don't sell any Powerbox products. I have tested it, Powerbox systems have tested it and lots of other users have had the same problems. This radio is sold in Europe since 2011 and the official Jeti forum and the German forums are full of this topic. If you ask Jeti directly or the German distributor Hacker, they will also confirm this. For anybody being able to understand German check yourself the Jeti form at http://www.jetiforum.de/index.php/26...ng-z-b-vom-r12

This problem seems to occur only with the bigger receivers, because their internal programming is so complex that it takes a while to compute the PPM signal. That's also the reason why the Europeans use the small RSAT2 for this application, because it does not have that overhang of internal programming. This receiver is unfortunately not available here in the US, but maybe the new 3 channel RX is an option worth trying.

Please don't misunderstand me, I love my Jeti radio, but we should still be honest here that even the most advanced products are not perfect in all aspects.

if you use 2x receivers with Central Box you are getting telemetry as well. Central Box has 3x telemetry inputs.Zb/Jeti USA
It seems as if you didn't read my posting carefully enough. I was talking about the problem of using Powerbox products in combination with a Jeti receiver and you were referring to the combination of Jeti receivers with the Jeti central box.

Also incorrect, EXT Bus is Telemetry
Sorry to say this but you seem not to know your own products. You are also mixing up terms, there is no EXT bus! I explained that the EXT port of the receiver must be used to connect a Powerbox to the receiver, because only this port delivers the EX bus signal. Furthermore your statement that EX bus is only for telemetry is simply not true! The EX bus is the digital protocol version of the analog PPM signal.

Thomas

Last edited by bluelevel; 12-01-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:56 AM
Alex48

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Thomas, If I wanted to use a PowerBox Royal SRS and have all the telemetry data would I need three receivers then? Two connected to the PowerBox and the third separate from the PowerBox that has the telemetry connected to it? How do you connect multiple telemetry modules to only one EXT port. I've been thinking of trying this radio with a sport jet in conjunction with Powerbox and a Jets Munt Turbine so I have all the telemetry data. I don't fully understand how this is possible yet, thanks for any help.

Cheers, Alex
The Little Jet Company
Old 12-02-2013, 02:18 AM
Downwind3Zero
My Feedback: (10)

Alex, I have hooked a Jet up just as you are attempting. You need 2 receivers connected to the Powerbox and 1 Telemetry expander (E2 EX) connected to one of the receivers. Telemetry expanders can be daisy-chained together for more sensors. Works great.
Chris
Old 12-02-2013, 02:36 AM
Alex48

ahh thanks. If I use this expander E2 or E4 EX this then connects to the receivers EXT port, where do you connect the bus leads for the powerbox SRS? Thanks for the help

Cheers, Alex
The Little Jet Company
Old 12-02-2013, 07:25 AM
bluelevel

Originally Posted by Alex48
ahh thanks. If I use this expander E2 or E4 EX this then connects to the receivers EXT port, where do you connect the bus leads for the powerbox SRS? Thanks for the help

Cheers, Alex
The Little Jet Company
Alex,

as previously explained, you have to set the Jeti receivers to EX bus output and connect them through the EXT labelled port with the Powerbox, because only this port delivers the digital EX bus signal. This port is unfortunately the same port that you would connect your telemetry equipment to, so that's the reason why you need a thrid receiver. It is also not possible to connect the expander to that port AND obtain the digital signal.

Thomas
Old 12-02-2013, 07:30 AM
Blancr

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the great feedback on this everyone.

Changing the subject slightly - anyone have practical experience with the Jeti Mspeed ASI?

Bob
Old 12-02-2013, 07:35 AM
bluelevel

Originally Posted by Downwind3Zero
Alex, I have hooked a Jet up just as you are attempting. You need 2 receivers connected to the Powerbox and 1 Telemetry expander (E2 EX) connected to one of the receivers. Telemetry expanders can be daisy-chained together for more sensors. Works great.
Chris
Chris,

it is obvious that you are somehow affiliated with Jeti USA, so I understand your urge to defend the product, but nevertheless you should only recommend configurations that you have actually used or know work fine for a fact. Please believe me that there are problems with the analog PPM output signal of the Jeti receivers, so using them in combination with Powerbox Systems products is not recommended without using the new EX bus. As stated earlier, this system is sold in the EU since 2011 so lots of other users have tested the same config before and can confirm this.

Thomas
Old 12-02-2013, 08:08 AM
Alex48

So would two Duplex R6 A40 EX receivers work ok with the PowerBox Royal SRS? I then bind a third receiver and use an expander on that with the four telemetry modules plugged in? When and why would you use the analog PPM port? Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to order one only to discover it won't do what I was expecting which in fact is already the case.

Alex
The Little Jet Company
Old 12-02-2013, 08:18 AM
bluelevel

Originally Posted by Alex48
So would two Duplex R6 A40 EX receivers work ok with the PowerBox Royal SRS? I then bind a third receiver and use an expander on that with the four telemetry modules plugged in? When and why would you use the analog PPM port? Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to order one only to discover it won't do what I was expecting which in fact is already the case.

Alex
The Little Jet Company
Alex,

since you are located in the UK, you can buy the RSAT2 receivers which are not (yet) available here in the US. Because these receivers don't have all the internal programming to handle like the bigger receivers, their PPM signal is fine. So in your case you connect the PPM out port of the receivers to the Powerbox SRS receiver input and you still have one EXT port per receiver to connect your telemetry equipment to. I you want to use more than two sensors you'll need an expander.

Thomas
Old 12-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Alex48

Thanks Thomas, looking at the website aren't these receivers designed to complement the EX receivers as satellites? is it ok to use them on their own then as there's no mention on Jeti's site regarding other uses?
Old 12-02-2013, 08:32 AM
Alex48

Don't worry I see the output power and specs are the same as the larger receivers.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:34 AM
bluelevel

Alex, they work as stand-alone receivers as well and can be configured to deliver all 16 channels. I posted a link to a discussion in the Jeti forum about exactly this topic. Use the Google translation and you'll be able to understand it just fine.

Thomas
Old 12-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Jeti USA

Not a hope amongst 400+ pages!
Surely the US distributor on this thread knows the answer?
Best way is to search for answer directly in the thread. It's actually surprisingly good.

Zb/Jeti USA
Old 12-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Mark Vandervelden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Alex
I have been flying and testing/checking out my DS16 with a Powerbox Competition SRS in my F15 for some time now, its hooked up to two Jeti RSats and its working well.
The Rsats have to be connected too 2 of the Powerbox"s 4 "Spektrum" type plug sockets, set to EX-bus then use duel path setting on the Tx.
I have not experimented with any additional telemetry yet other than the built in signal and Rx voltage but could have a tinker this week and see how it goes.
Worst case is you/we would have to use a third Rx or sat to give us another/free telemetry port to plug in the telemetry expander.

I have also tried running these sats and Rxs in PPM mode on a I-Gyro and it simply dose not work very well and gives a very "glitchy" servo response so not recomended.

Most of these questions have been asked and answered on Powerboxes own forum, if not just ask and Richard responds very quickly.

Last edited by Mark Vandervelden; 12-02-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:54 AM
Jeti USA

Actually very simple: This way you will get Antenna Diversity as well as Dual Path Redundancy

(30 Outputs) Use 2x Central Box 200 + 4x R3/R5/R6 (small receivers) connected to CB 200 via EX Bus
You set Tx in Dual Path and Receivers you set and Master and Clone
BUT:
Master Rx #1 is bound to RF module #1, Slave #1 is bound to RF module #2
Master Rx #2 is bound to RF module #2, Slave #2 is bound to RF module #1

(24 Outputs) Use 2x R14 + 2x R3/R5/R6 (small receivers) connected to each other via EX Bus
BUT:

Zb/Jeti USA
Old 12-02-2013, 08:57 AM
Alex48

Thanks Mark, I thought I'd buy one to try something different.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Mark Vandervelden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alex

I don't think you will be disappointed, the Tx is a bit "Marmite" you ether like the way it looks or you don't but no one could criticise it quality and capability's.
Its capability's and versatility is second to none and can only get better as Jeti develop and respond to end user's comments, something ive not seen with other brands of RC

It took a few flights to get a feel for the trims but now it second nature and having the audio telemetry and alerts is a joy.

Last edited by Mark Vandervelden; 12-02-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:09 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Actually very simple: This way you will get Antenna Diversity as well as Dual Path Redundancy

(30 Outputs) Use 2x Central Box 200 + 4x R3/R5/R6 (small receivers) connected to CB 200 via EX Bus
BUT:

(24 Outputs) Use 2x R14 + 2x R3/R5/R6 (small receivers) connected to each other via EX Bus
BUT:

Zb/Jeti USA
Thanks for that info, I can't find any easily understood official Jeti info about how their system all links together. So bear with me as these questions may seem very obvious to you!
Why with the 2 x R14 would I also want 2 x R3-6 rx? Won't 2x R14 give me 24 outputs and 4 aerials and a fully working system?
Can the same linking be done with 2x R10 Ex rx to give 20 outputs? Or 2 x R11?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.