Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Rennovation project, Yellow FA18 Twin. Answers and parts appreciated ;)

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Rennovation project, Yellow FA18 Twin. Answers and parts appreciated ;)

Old 02-14-2014, 11:19 AM
edgeflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take one of the scissor screw out. Be careful as you can strip the head easy if you don't have the correct screw driver. Don't swap the main springs out though. They should remain soft so the gear almost bottoms when sitting static with fuel. You should only have a half an inch of travel left and it should be stiff. If you use stiff main springs, the plane will wallow side to side really bad. You want them to feel bottomed out so the plane is solid.

Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post
Guys on my Twin when I have no fuel in the plane (batteries mines electric) I have a nice AOA for take off... when I install the packs the plane sits level.
I've read a few guys have replaced the soft nose gear spring with something stiffer, but I can't see how it come apart.

Have any of you guys taking apart the nose gear and replaced the front spring?

Thanks much, hope mini flyer doesn't mine me asking a few questions in his thread
Old 02-14-2014, 08:06 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinthoele View Post
The wing detail is there. It has the panel lines and access panels with the hinges on folding wing section(static). There will be hinge covers on both flap and aileron. More vids to come.
Hey Kevin how are you going to mold the LE flaps? Are you going to mold the wing in one piece then cut them out or mold them separately?

Thanks
Old 02-14-2014, 08:59 PM
loukos
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had a looong love affair with this kit, got a good semi built model, and working on it now...undergoing modification work on the fuselage and formers since it was one of the earlier models... twin merlin 100s

Miniflyer will be following your thread for sure...and keeping tabs on those composite wings!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1010013_10152977861955007_1080902114_n.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1968576  
Old 02-14-2014, 10:07 PM
edgeflyer
My Feedback: (15)

LEF's will be cut out before the two wing half's are glued together. They will be live hinged.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take one of the scissor screw out. Be careful as you can strip the head easy if you don't have the correct screw driver. Don't swap the main springs out though. They should remain soft so the gear almost bottoms when sitting static with fuel. You should only have a half an inch of travel left and it should be stiff. If you use stiff main springs, the plane will wallow side to side really bad. You want them to feel bottomed out so the plane is solid.
Thanks much edge flyer! will do...... where are you guys getting springs for the front strut? in the past I've just made up a spacer in others struts.. I just drop it in and put the stock spring back in. That stiffens up the spring. I guess I can try that, unless you guys have an idea which spring you like and where to get one.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:15 PM
Miniflyer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, airshow season is coming back and i'm hoping pulling this thread will have the same effect as starting a new one.
I still have not managed to get any gear placard details on the hornet and was wondering if anyone will be at an airshow where you can get up close to a hornet and snap some shots for me....

Thanks guys
Hank
Old 05-10-2014, 08:02 PM
Miniflyer

Originally Posted by YellowAircraft View Post
Hi

The canopy glass is $40, front frame is $25, rear frame is $50. The inlets are $80/pr. $12 shipping domestic, considerably more int'l.

Hi Yellow,
you still up on the parts? sent you a pm a couple of days ago...
Hank
Old 02-19-2015, 09:59 AM
Miniflyer

Hi guys,

i just got in contact with charles, and he can supply me with everything EXCEPT a rear canopy frame. Does anyone still have one lying around he is willing to get rid of, or knows someone who might still have spare parts?

Very many thanks
Hank
Old 06-09-2015, 08:47 AM
yellowbird911

Interested in your thread. Hoping to take possession of an older YA FA18 twin that will be converted to single turbine. I've done some searching but can't find a manual for it. Really interested in CG and throws. If anybody has a link that would be great.