Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

ESM Pilatus PC 21

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

ESM Pilatus PC 21

Old 12-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESM Pilatus PC 21

Has anyone had the opportunity to inspect the subject PC21? Wren has a nice turbo prop engine that fits the PC 21 like a glove. I trust the Wren engine but I don't know much about the ESM ARF. The package looks like a good candidate for our 400 foot grass club field.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:41 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Yep, had one. Throw away all hardware, put a pull pull on rudder, separate servos on elevator halves. There were a couple of build threads in the forums. Nice airplane with a little work. Vario props has a nice scale spinner,
Old 12-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 201 Likes on 163 Posts

Wren in England use one as a demo airframe...email them!
Old 12-24-2013, 02:02 PM
FenderBean

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Someone beat me to the punch, esm models will require some mods/beef up to last. Glue joints require some extra glue as well or they will separate.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Boomerang1

Guy in my club had one, beautiful finish & a great flyer with the Wren 44 turboprop.
My field is short grass.

It met it's demise when it stalled on the landing approach & dropped a wing sharply
with no height to recover. The approach was VERY slow, you could predict the result.

Don't know if CG or setup was a factor, just keep in mind they will bite if flown too slow.

John.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:11 PM
cyphur01

Another to consider would be the esm Texan 2. A little bigger but straight wing should make for good handling.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:26 AM
Gonzalo38

You could contact Skymaster and ask when their PC 21 is going to be ready. In the videos they have, it looks like a very nice model and flyer ( for still being a prototype.....)

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTY3NDA3NTIw.html?x
Old 12-25-2013, 07:47 AM
Robrow

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38 View Post
You could contact Skymaster and ask when their PC 21 is going to be ready. In the videos they have, it looks like a very nice model and flyer ( for still being a prototype.....)

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTY3NDA3NTIw.html?x
Anyone have a date for this release, I'm looking for a suitable airframe that's nice and quick.

rob.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Square Nozzle

The Skymaster candidate looks good from what I can get from the video. Typically Skymaster planes are rather large. Any info out there on length and wingspan? I couldn't find any dimensions but some times I can't find my truck keys either so read what you may into that. a Wren 44 turbo prop is what I want for power. The ESM model is going to be a tight fit in the back of my truck.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Henke Torphammar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one too. A great performer, very F3A-looking hence great flying. As mentioned the elevator setup needs to be changed to dual servos and the retracts sold by ESM are junk, so go for something else. I setup mine with a fairly low power motor and it did well, a friend shuffed in a motor that puts out about the same power as the Wren. Still did well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjRPe_8NNjA
Old 12-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Square Nozzle

There was mention in another thread that the ESM version wing needed strengthening if I'm going to put the Wren 44 Turbo prop in it. What's the consensus on that and what sort of strengthening is needed? A carbon fiber center section tube and mating sleeve I can do but I don't want to have to rebuild the wing. Also, it's clear to me via photos, that the wing is fabric covered open bay on the bottom. The top surface looks to be sheeted. Correct?
Old 03-15-2014, 06:26 PM
rbgetz

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HI all, I'm new to RCU and my actual first post... But not new to RC. I've been researching the threads here on the ESM Pilatus PC-21 and just ordered one from TBM. I'm going run mine electric.. It's my first venture into larger scale electric. My question is: TBM said that the ESM v3 retracts are no longer being offered due to continued issues. They are coming out with a newer air version, but looks like they won't see them here in the US for 6-8 weeks. Does anyone have suggestions on retracts and wheels I could substitute for the ESM's that would fit and still give the "semi-scale" look their electrics had?
Old 03-18-2014, 04:53 AM
Square Nozzle

My Pilatus PC21 is also on it's way to my shop. I spoke at length with TBM regarding the gear and got the same story that the ESM retracts are no longer available. Century Jets has been contracted to make the gear for the PC21. I spoke to Century Jets and was told that they should have retracts as early as 3/24/14. From the conversation it sounds like we will have an option to have them electric or air operated. The price was not available at the time but if you compare prices for other tri gear retract sets for planes of similar size, I would estimate $500 ish for the air operated system. About $100 more for the electrics??? That includes the control module that you plug into the Rx. Consider the air system that you'll need for the air retracts and it's probably a wash. Power for my PC21 will be a Wren 44 Turbo prop. Also on order. There is something about the whine of electric power that turns me off and a recip is totally wrong.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:18 PM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a photo of my friends's ESM Texan II with a Wren 44 TP. Lots of modifications for strengthening/fitting. He's a fantastic artist/engineer who's not afraid to tackle almost any build. Should be ready for maiden soon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	909.7 KB
ID:	1982146  
Old 03-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

wonder what your friend has for retracts and wheels they don't look like the ESM
Old 03-28-2014, 08:47 AM
argyris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1fjDB0lP_c
Old 03-28-2014, 09:33 AM
Square Nozzle

I could watch that video all day with the sound turned up so I can hear that beautiful turboprop sing. Mine is now in my shop and I'm just starting the mods to install the Wren. The engine is still a few weeks away but I got a mount template from Ron Ballard at Wren USA and set up to cut the firewall. It requires an 85mm hole to accept the turboprop engine. In looking for a way to cut the hole neatly I found that Dremel has a nice hole cutter. Well worth the $13 that I payed for it. The hole is picture perfect. However I ran into a problem when I began installing the mount template onto the firewall. The factory marked horizontal thrust line on the firewall was mislocated. It was 3/4" to high making the cutout for the engine near the top of the firewall. I have been using Paul Hardmans build thread ( YT INTERNATIONAL / ESM PC21 ) on RCU as a guide and his photo of the firewall cutout showed it well below where the factory guidelines were. So what to do!! I knew that the prop shaft hole and the spinner flange on the cowl had to be centered on the engine axis. I located and marked the center lines at the front flange and seated the cowl on the fuselage making sure it was properly seated, rotated and faired into the top line of the fuselage. Then I used my laser to project the horizontal and vertical thrust lines from the cowl to the firewall. Worked like a charm. Now it looked like Paul Hardmans photo. The Dremel Circle Cutter worked beautifully.

Last edited by Square Nozzle; 03-28-2014 at 09:39 AM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 03-28-2014, 09:58 AM
argyris

Here is my PC-21 with turbo prop style exhaust. very noisy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qQQ2XbIEak https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D2tQ3zrKsQ
Old 03-28-2014, 12:33 PM
Square Nozzle

Argyris, you are a true craftsman. The original muffler is a real impressive piece of work. A neat installation is always important to me and yours is very well done. Now you must save your money and put a Wren turboprop in the plane.

John

Last edited by Square Nozzle; 03-28-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:41 PM
jetjockey
My Feedback: (8)

Ron101

To answer your question, I used Dreamworks Taurus Series retracts, Robart 1/2" main struts, and yoke nose strut with modifications. I used Dreamworks 3 1/2" main wheels and brakes, and 3" nose wheel.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:54 PM
argyris

[QUOTE=argyris;11770698]Here is my PC-21 with turbo prop style exhaust. very noisy

Thank you very much!Pilatus pc-21 is one of the most beautifull aircraft ever made!It flies so nice and yes turbo prop is must!!
Old 03-28-2014, 02:41 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Ron101

To answer your question, I used Dreamworks Taurus Series retracts, Robart 1/2" main struts, and yoke nose strut with modifications. I used Dreamworks 3 1/2" main wheels and brakes, and 3" nose wheel.
Thank you very much!! I was just eyeballing this plane. You did a really nice job on it.
This electric version got me pretty pumped up for something to fly at warbird meets... love the four blade prop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvcCBrZbjFk
Old 02-22-2021, 07:00 AM
Zipperneck

Default ESM PC 21 Canopy

Hello everyone,
I have acquired one of these PC-21s by ESM and am searching for a replacement canopy. Bigplanes.nl here in Europe seems to be out of that model.
Does anyone have one, new or used? Preferably in Europe. Am located in France.

Kind regards,
Zipperneck