Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Sebart Avanti S with K-100

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Sebart Avanti S with K-100

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 05:37 AM
damagedgoodes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sebart Avanti S with K-100

Does anyone have any practical experience with the Sebart Avanti S and a 100 size turbine as some websites list the minimum turbine size as 100 whilst others say 120. I have a Kingtech K100 and was hoping that would be ok for traditional aerobatic type manoeuvres. Any help appreciated. Cheers,
Dave
Old 12-30-2013, 06:54 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an Avanti with a Merlin 140 & it is fine for all aerobatics. A 120 might be ok. I would think a 100 size would not be enough for decent verticals. It depends what you want to be able to do with the jet. A 100 would be fine for using the jet as a basic trainer.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:43 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well mine isn't put together yet as we're still waiting on a few things like servos and an engine, but IIRC I thought the minimum was a 120 with a 140 being the minimum for aerobatics and mine will get a 180 which is the recommended engine for use with the vectored thrust pipe.

With that in mind, I'd say you'll be disappointed if you put a 100 in it.....
Old 01-02-2014, 03:40 AM
damagedgoodes

Thanks for your help guys, it confirmed what I thought. The importer in Australia is marketing them as P100X minimum and only carry the thrust tube to suit that size but of course can order the larger thrust tubes as required.
Cheers
Old 01-02-2014, 06:11 AM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

damagedgoods,
Note that the current issue of Jet Power magazine has a full review of the Avanti S including the build and flight test. This is in their Issue # 6/2013 and you can reach tem at: www.jetpower-magazine.com for information on purchase of this issue.

Rgds,
Art ARRO
Old 01-02-2014, 07:20 AM
Jim Cattanach

Be careful about getting enough air to satisfy the needs of the turbine. With the main air intakes & the lower fuz intakes opened up, there was not enough supply for my Merlin 140 at full power, even while flying. At full power during a flight, the thin canopy imploded & split along the top.
I managed to make a temporary repair with superglue.
To cure the problem, I cut out most of the wheel wells to provide more air. On the ground at full power, you can still see the canopy move slightly inwards, but is ok In the air.
With a larger turbine, more air will be required.
I thought about removing the front gear door, but wanted to keep it.
There is a new canopy on the way to me.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:33 AM
Zeeb

Interesting, I keep finding more tidbits about this model.....

If you're running a 140 and have air issues, what's that 180 going to be like? It's the engine that's recommended for 3D and the only pipe available for 3D is the 180 size. 'Gonna have to do some more digging on that one. One other question if I might? What size fuel tank are you running? There's another thread on the Avanti S where a guy is saying that the "all-in-one" tank is only 103 oz. with 44 oz. of smoke oil so that's not really going to work for a 180, he's adding another liter IIRC, using a soda bottle underneath the factory tank. Any comments/suggestions in that regard?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Jim Cattanach

I did not buy the combined fuel, smoke & UAT tank. I don't use smoke anyway & the tank was expensive, so I used two tanks I had in my workshop. I have,a half moon shaped one on the bottom, with a large Dubro one on top of it with a total capacity of 3.8 litres. I used a BVM UAT.
I think part of the air problem is, that the jet fits together so closely, there are no badly fitting parts where extra air can enter.
If using a large turbine, probably the best idea is to not fit the front gear door. it is the only door on the jet.

Last edited by Jim Cattanach; 01-02-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:27 PM
c_makhija

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have around 10 flights on the Avanti with a 170 rhino, so far not faced any problems with the canopy due to lack of air, but will check again.

chatty.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:11 PM
ViperOneNL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

guys,

Hoe is your nose gear? Mine has some play in it, mains seem to be solid.
Also my nose gear seems to be a liittle well not straight I guess it looks like that the part where the nosegear rotates is inserted croocked dont know.

Cheers Mick
Old 01-03-2014, 07:04 AM
mungrelv8ute

I have around 30 flights on mine. The first 6 with a P120SX and the rest with a 140RX and I dont have any issues at all. My model is 12.7kg dry so I am sure a 100 would fly this model fine.

Go for it, I am sure you will be happy with the flight performance.

Cheers, Gregg
Old 01-05-2014, 10:41 PM
Jason W M
My Feedback: (6)

Hello everyone,

As confirmed by Seba and some of our customers that have flown the Avanti S with a P100, the combination works quite well (which is why the official 'minimum' turbine size recommendation per Seba is 100...please see the PDF file below for more info). Max speed is approximately 140-160 mph and vertical performance is as expected for a model that weighs approximately 23lbs dry. Flight times are also quite good with the standard 100 ounce tank we include with all Avanti S models sold in the US/North America.

Jason M.
SebArt RC USA
www.SebArtRC.com
Attached Files
Old 01-05-2014, 11:19 PM
Zeeb

In the spirit of clarifying certain questions/specifications; if the 100 class engines are fine for this model, why is the recommendation for 3d performance a 180 size turbine?????

The included 103 oz. tank isn't going to run that puppy for very long at high power settings such as those required for 3D flight is it?

Then the question of airflow for the bigger engines has come up on this thread, one says his 140 turbine cracked the canopy, another says his 170 performs fine. As someone who's bought the model, the 180 vectored thrust tailpipe and is waiting on his Behotec 180 to come in, how do you answer those questions?

So far it's looking to me like it definitely needs more fuel and probably more air.....
Old 01-05-2014, 11:59 PM
Jason W M
My Feedback: (6)

Hello Zeeb,

As is typical for most 3D models, if you intend to hover then you'll need more than a 1:1 thrust to weight ratio. And in this case it's not possible to hover the Avanti S with a 100 size turbine (since the thrust to weight ratio is less than 1:1...whereas it's closer to 1.5:1 with a 180), however it does perform well as a sport aerobatic model with that size of turbine.

Also, Seba often flies his 5-6+ minute demo flights using a standard Avanti S equipped with a 180 and the optional kero and smoke tank that holds 108 ounces of fuel and 44 ounces of smoke fluid (the same one we included with your shipment). There is some reserve when he lands, and although it will be somewhat dependent on flying style and the performance of the specific turbine (as well as other conditions related to altitude/air density, etc.), flight times for similarly equipped models should be around the same or more. That said there's plenty of room to add an additional tank for added fuel capacity if you prefer even longer flight times (though keep in mind that extra fuel will mean extra weight and a lower thrust to weight ratio if you plan to hover the model, at least until some of that fuel is used up, which is why Seba chose to go with 108 ounces as it offers a good balance of weight and flight time for 3D flight).

And regarding the issue Jim mentioned, this is the first we've heard of anything like it. Dozens of other Avanti S models have flown for hundreds/thousands of flights combined and the same issue did not exist on those models. That in mind we don't expect you'll experience the same issue.

Jason M.
SebArt RC USA
www.SebArtRC.com

Last edited by Jason W M; 01-06-2014 at 03:46 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:23 AM
cairoman

Hello Jason,

About Jim's issue, perhaps, if he could show a photo of his tank setup ( since, he is not using the Avanti S, standard tank), that could probably, be the reason for air starvation to the turbine?

Chris
Old 01-06-2014, 08:20 AM
Jim Cattanach

The fuel tanks I fitted, do not in anyway obstruct the air flow to the turbine, if anything, they are more compact than the multi combined tank that is offered.
It was Sebastiano who said to cut out the wheel wells to supply enough air for the larger turbines. I did not consider the 140 to be large in comparison to what is recommended for full 3D vector thrust purposes, so I did not cut out the wheel wells.
After my canopy imploded, I cut out most of the wheel wells & I have no more problems. If you see the canopy, it is very thin & flexible. It would be better if it was stiffer.
My replacement canopy has arrived in Cyprus & I pick it up tomorrow.

Last edited by Jim Cattanach; 01-06-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:52 AM
smiller

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have been looking at this plane. Jim , just curious . Do you have the cockpit installed? This may have an effect on the canopy sucking in if it is not installed.

Scott
Old 01-07-2014, 09:28 AM
cairoman

Yes Scott, he has!

Chris
Old 01-08-2014, 06:27 AM
Jim Cattanach

Originally Posted by Jason W M

And regarding the issue Jim mentioned, this is the first we've heard of anything like it. Dozens of other Avanti S models have flown for hundreds/thousands of flights combined and the same issue did not exist on those models. That in mind we don't expect you'll experience the same issue.

Jason M.
SebArt RC USA
www.SebArtRC.com
I received my replacement canopy today, at a cost of 200 Euros. It is clearly much stronger than the first one. The canopy frame hoops have been reinforced with what is probably carbon fibre & they are solid. The old canopy hoops can be squeezed in with two fingers.
I wonder why this modification was carried out if nobody else had problems?
Old 01-12-2014, 03:40 AM
Tasfly

Has anyone out there with a Avanti have Poor fitting Stabilizers and or wings? My right hand stabilizer has a gap almost 2mm between stab and fuselage at the trailing edge with the stab pushed all the way in. The left side is a great fit. With a straight edge along the stabilizer root rib there is a obvious tapper aft of the spar. It is the same deal with the Left wing a pretty ordinary gap without applying a lot of pressure. I am very disappointed with what I thought was a nice aircraft!
Old 02-10-2014, 02:33 AM
number27

Please to post your C of G position please anyone?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:12 AM
Jim Cattanach

Mine is at 250mm. Is anyone having problems landing? I do not have a gyro on mine. The landing approach is fine. Just when I want to touch down, it drops like a stone from about one to two feet of the deck. Perhaps I should put a gyro on the elevator.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:37 AM
number27

Mine is at 240mm and when powering off on landing it pops the nose up and have to power back on to land and feels like it is dragging its tail all the way in the flight. does not feel sensitive on elevator however