Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Just Announced at the AMA Show!!!!!!! JR 28X high end radio!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Just Announced at the AMA Show!!!!!!! JR 28X high end radio!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 09:50 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The issue is not how to do it - -the widespread legal use of other frequencies is not there for the asking. Don't write 2.4 off for general use- for some time to come.

Last edited by rmh; 08-25-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:01 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

On the contrary, hence I stated within the 2.4 band. Plenty of stuff can be done wihtin a band.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:34 AM
rmh

The market will -I think -continue to offer more , less expensive but technically more advanced products.
Trying to put higher priced stuff into the current mix - looks like a very risky game
Old 08-25-2015, 01:29 PM
chorner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are forgetting something... it's not just the re-used RF chips and other components that may be shared with other radio equipment, and it's not the fact that it's loaded with "Android".

Here's what makes the radio to me, a great radio, and also to me, worth the price of entry (and also not just to me... anyone who doesn't have their head up their rear!):

1) personally, I *hate* Android phones. It's not the fact that it's running Android, it's the fact that it is using a system that has a great deal of capability in terms of JR providing interesting software updates and new widgets as well as opening up the possibility of 3rd party widgets, ease of use in programming directly on the radio, touch & mouse support which makes selecting/navigating/typing a breeze, the fact that you can connect to the internet (read: future updates), and all of the general Android options such as text-to-speach voice customization etc. It opens up a whole "world" of customizability not seen on radios right now. The fact that I can 100% customize my "Desktop" or multiple "Desktops" on my radio to suit my needs, and current model etc. are awesome. As is plugging in a mouse to do all my programming... WAY better than anything I've ever used before on an RC transmitter, and in my opinion a step ahead of Futaba's menus and menu system which I think is ugly.

Setting up their Axis gyro and Xbus components easily, with clicks of the mouse right on the radio... HUGE improvement over old systems, and other systems.

2) the aluminum chassis, switch quality, gimbal quality, and overall quality is impressive on this radio. The fact that they even TEMP monitor the battery packs, and have redundant batteries that you can also combine for longer up-time is pretty cool - not that it even needs 2, as I can get 6-8 hours straight of usage on the single battery. Way more than adequate. It shows they were thinking "high end" while designing the radio. I don't think you guys can actually get how good a piece of hardware this is... because you don't own one like I do. It is silky smooth, and feels high quality in your hands. Also, when you actually fly your plane... speaking of RF "advancements" ... this leads me to my next point

3) RF... compared to my Spektrum radio, where again... running at 2048 resolution, and additional channels drop to 512, and no single two channel's data is sent at the same time... DMSS is a HUGE upgrade that is noticeable. Especially if you actually OWN this transmitter. The high resolution, and the fact that because of the DMSS protocol, they are able to stream multiple channels in a single packet means BETTER simultaneous control, and much much lower latency. This is something you can actually feel and see with your own two eyes. No, not all RF systems are the same... lower end hardware is lower end, and some software developers are MUCH better developers than others. Again, to argue things are all the same is just completely naive. I feel honestly like I'm speaking to a couple guys who will never get it anyways...

4) Using the advantage gained by switching to DMSS (which did I mention, on each selected channel of the 2.4ghz frequency band that they use and hop between, JR uses approximately 3Mhz of that bandwidth for data transmission... compare this to Futaba and Spektrum which are closer to 1Mhz... which again, translates to more data being sent at the same time and less chance of radio interference) ... they have an advantage over Futaba with their Xbus accessory designs especially. They have HD hubs, which all have separate deans connectors for groups of servos with heavy gauge wiring. Compare this to Futaba, where all servos and equipment run through the receiver on much smaller gauge wiring. The JR Xbus hubs are awesome! Between the 14 port convertor hub, and the HD Hub, and HD hub extensions... it's a very well thought out system.

5) Quality Control ... everything is built with VERY tight tolerances on this radio. Something Spektrum especially, knows absolutely dick-all about.

6) ... there's really no need to go on. But a radio with this attention to detail, and the DMSS system as a whole has had a lot of thought, time, and development hours put behind it. If you like high-end equipment, it's worth paying for.

7) The fact that the Jeti guy is trolling JR threads also says a lot to me. Spektrum (Andy from Spektrum in specific) drops into EVERY damn thread about another radio on RCGroups advertising and speaking out about how good Spektrum stuff is and "how many users are using Spektrum at the field? Almost all!" ... reminds me of cheap used-car salesman tactics, and is telling of the quality of the products on its own.

8) Time is money. You pay top dollar for equipment with a lot of thought put into it. JR didn't design this for you guys... they designed it for guys who know about and value higher-end equipment. That's why you don't understand it... just accept it and move on

Last edited by chorner; 08-25-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:05 PM
rmh

Oh we understand - You like stuff which is new -to you- and you feel sets you apart from the masses .
Will it make you a better flier?
Perhaps - but as long as you have the perception that it will- it's right for you.
The system looks very nice -however the value added is simply not worth the entry fee.- in my opinion. I have to admire their adventurous spirit-to try and raise the bar --in a diminishing market segment.
It's a tough business choice.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:27 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Chorner, Ill just wait for the X56 with Titanium chasis.

💤 💤
Old 08-25-2015, 03:52 PM
chorner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rmh
Oh we understand - You like stuff which is new -to you- and you feel sets you apart from the masses .
Will it make you a better flier?
Perhaps - but as long as you have the perception that it will- it's right for you.
The system looks very nice -however the value added is simply not worth the entry fee.- in my opinion. I have to admire their adventurous spirit-to try and raise the bar --in a diminishing market segment.
It's a tough business choice.
Not new necessarily. Just high quality and an improvement over my previous equipment. If I was an 18mz user, this radio probably wouldn't make me switch just because it's new. I'd have to be unhappy with what I currently have and want something better. As a Spektrum DX18 user, with a few upgrade path choices, this radio was the clear winner. I'm excited for further firmware revisions to make it even better.

Not so sure it's a diminishing market either. The market segment for this kind of radio was never huge, but with more guys in the hobby and guys buying more and more expensive scale planes, warbirds, Helis and Jets that cost huge amounts of money - I would again say you're just not in the target market so that's why you feel that way. Food for thought...

You do that Falcon Sounds like you've planned your new upgrade path. Good work.

P.S - on the notion of hardware making you a better "flyer", a piece of hardware will never make you better; at best it makes your job easier. As a whole, It's just the opposite. Hardware of certain levels inhibits progression to the next level of flying, only if your abilities can reach the limits of that hardware. This can come in many forms, and is intertwined with preference as well as confidence in your equipment. Take Formula 1 for example... a huge portion of deciding who wins is the team with the most money, and hence the best team, and then past money comes having the best engineers and car. They are all extremely capable drivers, but they all look for minute differences in equipment to help them win.

I am quite sure there are guys with inexpensive hardware who are much better flyers than guys with expensive hardware, and vice versa... irrespective of the hardware. However, chances are that once you at at a level where you can appreciate higher level hardware, you certainly can feel the difference - and you would not switch back. If you cannot tell a serious piece of equipment from cheap equipment, you're just not "good enough" to ever notice anyhow - and it makes any argument against high end equipment pointless by nature.

Last edited by chorner; 08-26-2015 at 04:37 AM.