Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Sebart Avanti S Build Thread w/KT 180

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Sebart Avanti S Build Thread w/KT 180

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 06:36 AM
hbutler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ran into electron retracts for the avanti on chief's website. Anyone have any additional info? R they drop in?

considering all of the gear issues, it would be good to have another option.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/krm-2010600-25.html
Old 03-18-2015, 09:51 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by hbutler
Just ran into electron retracts for the avanti on chief's website. Anyone have any additional info? R they drop in?

considering all of the gear issues, it would be good to have another option.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/krm-2010600-25.html
Hard to say for sure if they'd be a drop in fit as they are listed for the Krill version of the Avanti and it has a different wing, but I'm betting they won't fit.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:06 AM
hbutler

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Hard to say for sure if they'd be a drop in fit as they are listed for the Krill version of the Avanti and it has a different wing, but I'm betting they won't fit.
Hum... that would be disappointing for two reasons.

1. work involved if we wanted this option
2. that would also mean that folks that purchased this version with the idea of getting composite wings later, would have an issue also retrofitting their gear.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:44 AM
Zeeb

Well I don't personally know or have I had any experience with the Krill folks but I know people who have and based on that, I sincerely doubt you'll ever see the composite wings promised by Krill for the original Avanti and I too would have liked that option. Last I heard from Jason at SebArt USA, was that the composite wings for the original Avanti would not be manufactured until demand for the new wings/models was filled.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:12 AM
number27

Electrons fit with some minor work. Anything will fit with modification. Depends on our skills and time. Cassiemitch has done this to his Avanti S but has on sold it to another modeller. He had Xicoy oleo's and pul pull steering. This version looks better. Email Electron and ask them they made the set for Chief. Xoel is more than user friendly @ Electron. He makes drop in fits set for most aircraft these days even Skymaster Big Viper.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:52 AM
Jason W M
My Feedback: (6)

As I've noted here before, the wings from the Krill manufactured Avanti S FC (Full Composite) 2.1m/83" model WILL fit the original Avanti S 2.0m/79" model (there's only a slight difference in how the wings are secured to the fuselage). However, Krill is still behind on filling orders for complete Avanti S FC models (the last few ordered took about 6 weeks to produce) so they are not yet able to provide separate wing/stab sets. Also, the colors they're currently using to paint the parts in the mold are slightly different than the colors that were used on the original Avanti S models (as seen in the photos attached below) so we're also waiting to confirm if they'll be able to produce better color-matched wing/stab sets in the future. But from what we understand some colors can't be matched exactly when they're painted in the mold so there may be some slight difference in the yellow and silver in particular (and unfortunately they're unable to paint gold in the mold so that color will not be available for the white/blue/red color version wings/stabs).

And although the composite wings have slightly more span/wing area, they do weigh about a pound more per panel than the original Avanti S built-up wings. So for those interested in 3D flying/hovering, or for electric conversions and sport flying with 100 class turbines, we still recommend going with the built-up wings/stabs to keep the all-up-weight as low as possible. Also, the original Avanti S 'air' gear bolts directly into the Avanti S FC wings/fuse (in fact nearly all of the Avanti S FC models sold so far have included the exact same air gear...less the ones we've sold without gear), so we do expect the new electric gear option to drop right into both models (but we're waiting for final confirmation of that and for the first sets we've ordered to arrive here so we can double check).

On a related note, for those with the 'air' gear we now have two alternative spring setups in stock for those that may need a bit more support than the stock main gear spring setup offers (especially those carrying extra fuel/smoke, 180+ turbines, thrust vectoring, etc.). These alternative spring setups are available at no charge to anyone that purchased an Avanti S model from us or one of our authorized dealers, and at minimal cost (plus shipping) for anyone else that may need them.

BTW, we do have Avanti S models in stock now without landing gear, and we can special order Avanti S FC models without landing gear or with the electric gear option. And for those with a set of Avanti S gear that may be looking for something else to use them in, next week we'll be receiving our first shipment of the all-new 2.1m/83" span Pilatus PC-21 for electric or 50-60cc gas power that uses the same landing gear (and yes, we will have some of these in stock with and without the gear).

Also, for those that haven't seen it yet, the all-new 'Mini' Avanti S for 90mm EDF or P20 turbine power will be available in May/June:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...l#post11993825
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3799.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2082306   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3804.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2082307   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3809.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	2082308   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3826.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	2082309   Click image for larger version

Name:	SebArt Pilatus PC-21 50-60cc 2.1m ARF 2014 Catalog Page.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	492.7 KB
ID:	2082310   Click image for larger version

Name:	SebArt Mini Avanti S 90mm EDF or P20 Turbine Jet White_Red Style and White_Blue.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	2082311   Click image for larger version

Name:	10406997_374262399426403_8120785977814795171_n.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	2082316   Click image for larger version

Name:	10430909_374262349426408_1060730841846060450_n.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	2082317  

Click image for larger version

Name:	10456139_374262369426406_3337625666859114997_n.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	2082318  

Last edited by Jason W M; 03-18-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:23 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by Jason W M
On a related note, for those with the 'air' gear we now have two alternative spring setups in stock for those that may need a bit more support than the stock main gear spring setup offers (especially those carrying extra fuel/smoke, 180+ turbines, thrust vectoring, etc.). These alternative spring setups are available at no charge to anyone that purchased an Avanti S model from us or one of our authorized dealers, and at minimal cost (plus shipping) for anyone else that may need them.
I'd take a set of the heavier springs Mine sits right down with 150oz.of fuel and 50oz. of smoke oil along with the VT and the 180 size engine.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:25 PM
Jason W M

Originally Posted by Zeeb
I'd take a set of the heavier springs Mine sits right down with 150oz.of fuel and 50oz. of smoke oil along with the VT and the 180 size engine.
On the way to you now
Old 03-19-2015, 03:17 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by Jason W M
On the way to you now

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2015, 05:53 PM
hbutler

So it's been quiet and I'd thought I'd shake things up a bit and let you know that I did end up purchasing the electron retracts, struts and wheels. Very high quality undercarriage. Here is what I like
1. They are not drop in, but changes are minor.
-On the nose, 2 new blind nuts and some dremel work to get the setup to clear properly
-I suspect they mains would require shifting on blind nuts, but I wouldn't know for sure as I'm coming off a wing repair. The electron set is slightly shorter than the original set.
2. Steering linkage is on the top side of the gear bay versus on the bottom... So it is completely free to move versus on the old gear it was inverted and the linkage could get hung up on the bottom of the fuse
3. No spring problems...
4. No having to retighten retracts regularly
5. No Air

These are definitely the way to go.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:15 AM
Jason W M

Hello everyone,

For anyone that may be interested we now have the complete sets of Electron Retracts for the Avanti S 2.0m/79" and the Avanti S FC (Full Composite) 2.1m/83" models in stock. These sets include three ER-40eVo electric powered retract units (plus a custom adapter block/mount that makes it possible to use one of these units for the nose gear) and the RB-45 control unit (which is set up to be powered by a 2S LiPo), custom Electron nose gear and main gear struts (with springs to handle models up to 35 pounds), wheels and electric powered brakes (as seen in the photos below). The regular price for the complete set is $1149.99, but until the end of May they're available from us at a special introductory price of $999.99. BTW, the Avanti S 2.0m/79" is now available without gear (was $2399.99, now $2099.99), with air gear (was $3299.99, now $2799.99) or with the Electron electric gear (for $3099.99).

And as hbutler noted, because the sets we offer include a custom adapter block/mount you'll only need to move/install two blind nuts to mount the ER-40eVo electric powered retract unit in place of the air retract unit for the nose gear (you may also need to remove some wood in a few places so everything clears properly). Then for the main gear you'll only need to move/install two blind nuts and remove a small amount of wood (to clear two of the mounting tabs) in order to mount the ER-40eVo units in place of the air units. Here also are some additional notes regarding the Electron electric gear and the air gear:
  • The main wheels/tires included with the electric gear are 3.5" in overall diameter (plus they have electric brakes) versus the 3.75" wheels included with the air gear (not a problem, just something to be aware of when comparing the wheels/tires in the photos below).
  • For the main gear, the overall distance to the axle is the same for the electric and the air gear.
  • Overall weight is about the same for the electric and the air gear setups.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Air and Electric Powered Retractable Landing Gear and Brake Sets for Avanti S and Avanti S FC.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	820.2 KB
ID:	2094020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air and Electric Powered Retractable Main Landing Gear Assemblies for Avanti S and Avanti S FC.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	2094021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air and Electric Powered Retractable Main Landing Gear Units for Avanti S and Avanti S FC.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2094022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air and Electric Powered Retractable Nose Landing Gear Units for Avanti S and Avanti S FC.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2094023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electron Electric Powered Retractable Landing Gear and Brake Set for Avanti S and Avanti S FC.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2094024  

Last edited by Jason W M; 05-13-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:24 PM
jfetter

I've read some of the posts here and I'll be honest, I don't know what you guys expect or what you are doing to the gear but the supplied gear with the Sebart AvantiS 2M is very nice! The gear is more than strong enough, well build, well engineered, well machined and finished and the air cylinders operate smooth and hold air all day long, in either position. The trunions lock solid in either position and they operate a full 4 cycles on 100lbs using 2 medium BVM tanks, what else can you want? The tires are secure on the rims, the brakes work perfectly with a small separate tank on 20lbs, smooth and firm without locking up, I don't think I could break this gear if I wanted to?!

Jack
Old 05-12-2015, 06:42 PM
hbutler

Depends on ur agenda. If u r a rcu member that is interested in hearing about others experience in order to guide ur own decisions then u want to have the unfiltered information. If ur agenda is different then u might assume a different position.

Not suggesting the side of the fence u r on but I will say I'm the former. The avanti s is a good jet and versatile. Built up wings r a concern for some. Gear has issues as many reported. There could have been changes.

Haven't flown them yet but the electrons appear to be a much better option. As an rcu member I would recommend that set based on what I know today
Old 05-12-2015, 06:55 PM
jfetter

With all due respect the Electron gear (struts at least) look cheap and under-built, with external springs and lighter weight stock. I love the actuators but I am disappointed in the fit and finish of the struts for certain.

I'm not sure what you mean by "agenda", what I stated about the gear is my viewpoint but one I think you'd be hard-pressed to deny. Fit and finish, sturdiness, design, functionality? Until now I've been all BVM but this gear (looks to be SkyMaster) is more than what I expected for the price for sure.

As for built-up wings, no one hid that fact they were built up, in fact the price point can only be achieved using built up wings and stabs. My eBandit is all composite but also $1000 more without gear, it's all relative. I am unaware of any delaminating or breaking in-flight, is that something people are seeing?

Jack

Last edited by jfetter; 05-12-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:38 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jfetter
I've read some of the posts here and I'll be honest, I don't know what you guys expect or what you are doing to the gear but the supplied gear with the Sebart AvantiS 2M is very nice! The gear is more than strong enough, well build, well engineered, well machined and finished and the air cylinders operate smooth and hold air all day long, in either position. The trunions lock solid in either position and they operate a full 4 cycles on 100lbs using 2 medium BVM tanks, what else can you want? The tires are secure on the rims, the brakes work perfectly with a small separate tank on 20lbs, smooth and firm without locking up, I don't think I could break this gear if I wanted to?!

Jack
+1 the air gear and built up wings are just fine. With the spring change there is no reason not to use them, unless you really want to stay away from a pneumatic set for whatever reason.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:18 AM
number27

I have owned one of these and in my experience there are issues with the landing gear. The real bug bear for me has been the springs. Not strong enough. The other minor issue is the screws that hold the trunions in place keep coming out and yes I have even used red loctite. But it must be my environment.

Other than that it is a very enjoyable model. Pity however here in Australia you cant buy it without the gear. Have asked and blunt answer of NO.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:26 AM
jfetter

Originally Posted by number27
I have owned one of these and in my experience there are issues with the landing gear. The real bug bear for me has been the springs. Not strong enough. The other minor issue is the screws that hold the trunions in place keep coming out and yes I have even used red loctite. But it must be my environment.

Other than that it is a very enjoyable model. Pity however here in Australia you cant buy it without the gear. Have asked and blunt answer of NO.
Have you at least opted to change to the stronger spring set?

Jack
Old 05-13-2015, 11:12 AM
number27

Again back to supplier and request for stronger spring set. There is nothing wrong with springs. Even emails to Seba given blunt answer about landing gear there are no problems. As we have seen in this thread there are problems for some and not others. I am happy with model and have made adjustments. IMHO you cant beat the Electrons in any model I have them in Euro, Reaction, Diamond and Avanti. No failures and solid as paired with Intairco wheels and brakes. Flawless.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:08 PM
jfetter

Well, you can lead a horse to water but...

Jack
Old 05-13-2015, 02:03 PM
Jason W M

FWIW, many hundreds of Avanti S models have been sold worldwide, a large number of which we've sold in North America since we took over distribution here about 18 months ago. And yes, the air gear has worked perfectly for the vast majority of Avanti S owners, and in North America less than a dozen guys have had issues (some of which have posted here on RCU). Some of those issues were due to incorrect setup, assembly, etc., yet some issues were related to the gear itself and we worked with those guys to get them replacement parts as needed. Also, some guys did have issues related to the main gear strut springs as a result of the weight of their particular model based on their chosen power system, fuel/smoke tank and radio/battery setup. And the stock springs do work for many setups (primarily 100-140 'straight' pipe setups carrying the recommended amount of fuel and using the recommended radio gear/battery setups), but they do not work for all setups (primarily heavier 140-180+ setups carrying more than the recommended amount of fuel/smoke, with thrust vectoring, heavier radio gear/battery setups, etc.). So we (SebArt RC USA) took it upon ourselves to find the two alternative spring setups we can offer customers now, and out of the three spring setups we have available, one of those setups typically works for just about everyone.

And because the SebArt distributor is not the same in every region of the world, some distributors have not taken the time nor had the interest in supporting the Avanti S (or other SebArt models) the way that we do. This is why we now offer the Avanti S with air gear and one of three spring setups to accommodate nearly everyone, with the new Electron electric gear, or even without gear (while other distributors may not). We've also pushed the factories to offer us spare parts for the landing gear that was not previously available separately in order to provide the best possible support. Does that mean we make everyone happy? No, unfortunately it does not, but I can say with a clear conscience that we've provided a level of support that's been unmatched by most other distributors and has resulted in many dozens of very happy Avanti S owners. We're even happy to help Avanti S distributors and owners outside of North America if they contact us directly (but please be sure to contact us by email or by phone since I'm not always alerted when you send a PM here on RCU).

Last edited by Jason W M; 05-13-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:03 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchased an Avanti S last year at Joe Nall and I'm finally getting ready to finally assemble it. I also purchased a Kingtech K140G along with the fixed thrust tube that was appropriate for that size turbine.
My question is, with a K140G in the jet, is it possible to use the thrust vectoring tube or would I also need a larger turbine? I'm not so interested in raw power maneuvers such as hovering but
things like flat spins, and some other maneuvers that would benefit from thrust vectoring may be fun.

Wayne
Old 06-01-2015, 11:21 AM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by wfield0455
I purchased an Avanti S last year at Joe Nall and I'm finally getting ready to finally assemble it. I also purchased a Kingtech K140G along with the fixed thrust tube that was appropriate for that size turbine.
My question is, with a K140G in the jet, is it possible to use the thrust vectoring tube or would I also need a larger turbine? I'm not so interested in raw power maneuvers such as hovering but
things like flat spins, and some other maneuvers that would benefit from thrust vectoring may be fun.

Wayne
From your location I'm guessing that you're not too far above Sea Level....

That said; it should be fun to play with and with the 140 size engine at your altitude it should be worthwhile to try the vectored thrust realizing there will be no hovering or the like. I have a friend with the exact same setup as yours and while it fly's okay here at 4500' ASL, it's certainly not anything to talk about especially in the Summer. Mine has the 180 Behotec with the VT nozzle and it's got plenty of power for the verticals, some high alpha stuff, flat spins and so on but hovering it is going to be another story. With the fuel almost gone and not too hot a weather it should do a hover but I've not tried it nor actually flown the model a whole lot. Be aware that the model Seba was demonstrating all the time with the hovering has a 250 size engine.....
Old 06-01-2015, 11:22 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Wayne, No problem with the thrust vector on a 140, you might not be able to hover, but doing flat spins and tumbles is a lot of fun. Maybe Jason would let you return the one you have??
Old 06-01-2015, 02:39 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DrScoles
Hi Wayne, No problem with the thrust vector on a 140, you might not be able to hover, but doing flat spins and tumbles is a lot of fun. Maybe Jason would let you return the one you have??
I purchased everything from Eric Clapp at Joe Nall last year so it probably wouldn't be fair to ask Jason to swap it out for me. I was concerned that there were perhaps different tube diameters, etc and
that the smaller engine may not perform properly with the vectoring thrust tube. Since it doesn't sounds like that will be a problem, I will have to seriously consider adding thrust vectoring.

Wayne
Old 06-01-2015, 03:04 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 180 in mine and rarely go over half throttle. I think the 140 will be perfect. Just make sure you check the glue joints around the main gear blocks and you'll be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.