Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Where are the jet guys flying in CT/MA?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Where are the jet guys flying in CT/MA?

Old 04-25-2014, 07:45 PM
  #1  
70 ragtop
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (23)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Oxford, CT
Posts: 781
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where are the jet guys flying in CT/MA?

Flew DF jets back in the 90s and sold everything off back in the early 2000s due to family changes, and lack of a good flying site. Have been flying warbirds and a few small EDFs since, but would really like to get back into bigger jets.
Have a old BVM F-16 just begging for new power. Years ago flew Yellow F-16, and an F-4 at the Balsa Bugs club by the airport in Stratford. Took the whole field to get that F-16 to rotate into a semi stalled state, and a few seconds of terror with full ailerons and rudder just to keep the wings level while it accelerated....ahhh, the good old days.....LOL. Sure would be nice to find a paved flying site!

Are there any paved flying sites/clubs suitable for jets in CT? How about southern MA close to route 91?

Thanks
Old 04-26-2014, 04:06 AM
  #2  
RCflyerCT
My Feedback: (13)
 
RCflyerCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southbury, CT
Posts: 112
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Probably the best field for jets is just north of Hartford at the Wintonbury flying club. It has a paved runway and I have flown both big EDFs (ebandit) and turbines (1/4 scale Hawk) there with no problem. Attached is a link to the club website where you can also see video of the hawk flying there.

http://www.flywfc.org/index.php

Thanks,

Wes
Old 04-26-2014, 05:01 AM
  #3  
70 ragtop
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (23)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Oxford, CT
Posts: 781
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Thanks Wes
Will check it out!
Old 04-26-2014, 05:16 AM
  #4  
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vernon, CT
Posts: 1,946
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Ragtop, that is the $64,000 question. I don't know how big the Wintonbury runway is. I stopped by there about a year ago and didn't see much that impressed me. Maybe Wes has more specifics. The Northern Connecticut R/C Club also has a paved runway (if you want to call it a runway). It's about 150 feet long by 20 wide. I tried to get the club to either make it bigger or spend the funds on leveling the existing grass strip. They opted to make the phony runway for electrics. But don't despair, The New England Jets org. is always looking for a good location. We have some options that the guys are working on and that's all I can say for now. As an option, the club in Woodstock CT flies at Woodstock airport. It has a paved runway next to the grass strip that the club typically uses. The paved strip is a bit "under maintained" in that it has some rough areas and loose gravel. You have to pick your path. Jets have flown there during their annual Warbirds event. I flew there once and was nervous about undercarriage damage. If traveling is not a concern, there are several jet rallies coming up this summer. Newburyport Mass, The Plum Island Jet Rally, June 13, 14 & 15; Frankfort Jets, near Utica NY, July 18, 19 & 20; New England Jets, Gardner MA. August 15, 16 & 17 at Gardner Airport; Maine Jet Rally, Sanford ME. Sept 4 through 7 and likely another event at Plum Island in Newburyport MA in October. All are at airports with more than adequate paved runways. Stay tuned for further activity as the New England Jets guys continue to dig.

Last edited by Square Nozzle; 04-26-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:38 AM
  #5  
70 ragtop
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (23)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Oxford, CT
Posts: 781
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Square Nozzle View Post
Ragtop, that is the $64,000 question. I don't know how big the Wintonbury runway is. I stopped by there about a year ago and didn't see much that impressed me. Maybe Wes has more specifics. The Northern Connecticut R/C Club also has a paved runway (if you want to call it a runway). It's about 150 feet long by 20 wide. I tried to get the club to either make it bigger or spend the funds on leveling the existing grass strip. They opted to make the phony runway for electrics. But don't despair, The New England Jets org. is always looking for a good location. We have some options that the guys are working on and that's all I can say for now. As an option, the club in Woodstock CT flies at Woodstock airport. It has a paved runway next to the grass strip that the club typically uses. The paved strip is a bit "under maintained" in that it has some rough areas and loose gravel. You have to pick your path. Jets have flown there during their annual Warbirds event. I flew there once and was nervous about undercarriage damage. If traveling is not a concern, there are several jet rallies coming up this summer. Newburyport Mass, The Plum Island Jet Rally, June 13, 14 & 15; Frankfort Jets, near Utica NY, July 18, 19 & 20; New England Jets, Gardner MA. August 15, 16 & 17 at Gardner Airport; Maine Jet Rally, Sanford ME. Sept 4 through 7 and likely another event at Plum Island in Newburyport MA in October. All are at airports with more than adequate paved runways. Stay tuned for further activity as the New England Jets guys continue to dig.

Thanks John
So is Woodstock Airport only used during events, or is open daily flying? I'm a little reluctant to get spooled back up on jets if there isn't a place to practice and shake out the cobwebs (not at an event...LOL)
Not familiar with the New England Jets org??

Thanks
Old 04-26-2014, 10:49 AM
  #6  
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vernon, CT
Posts: 1,946
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Ragtop

I believe the Woodstock airport site is a members only site. So if you are a member I would assume you can fly whenever. My opinion, based on what I've seen and experienced of the runway, it's not the best. My club field is not the flattest either so I don't fly my jets there either. It's 400 feet of grass but never having flown off grass I don't know how much runway I'll need compared to hard top. I fly a Reaction 54, a Reaction X and a Yellow aircraft F-22. We do keep it well rolled but it still has gradual ups and downs along the length. As I mentioned, we have the phony runway. Basically useless for large props and jets. I looked at Wintonbury on Google maps and estimated their runway to be about 150 feet. I also watched Wes fly his Hawk on the video and he didn't use the runway but the grass area looked quite smooth and it didn't look like he had any problems.

New England Jets is just our group of jet pilots from all over New England that typically fly together at events and off days. We are (or were) an AMA registered club. We were flying at South Weymouth NAS last year but couldn't get permission to return this year. There is also Fort Devens in Mass but we are temporarily out of there for security reasons. As I said we are looking for suitable sites and you can't be reluctant to drive. NAS South Weymouth was a 1 1/2 drive for me. 99% divided highway but still a haul to an otherwise wonderful site.

Wes, how do find getting out and back into Wintonbury? I pass near there every time I take one of my dogs to West Hartford for a Vet visit so it's not far for me.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:53 PM
  #7  
70 ragtop
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (23)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Oxford, CT
Posts: 781
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Thanks John
South Weymouth is a haul, but that would be a fantastic flying site. Saw the Blue Angles there around 94-95.

Fort Devons had runways, or flying on unused roadways?

Curious what the security concerns are?
Old 04-26-2014, 06:33 PM
  #8  
RCflyerCT
My Feedback: (13)
 
RCflyerCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southbury, CT
Posts: 112
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I live about an hour a way and work close to there. You are right about the runway...it is about 150ft, but I can now take all my jets (Hawk, Elan, Scorpion, and Reaction X) off from it...just put the brakes on and spool up the turbine, then let her rip..then land on that nice wide, long grass runway that is very smooth. You are welcome to join me one day for flying as my guest..just PM me and we can coordinate schedules.

However, I now do most of my jet flying down in Hamburg PA at the farview flyers...in my opinion it is the most amazing jet facility around...takes me about 3 1/2 hours, but I go down for the weekend or leave early and come back late..it is so worth it.

Another option is Floyd Bennett field down in NYC...I have flown there a few times..the guys are great and the runway rocks, but god help you if you go down much past the main flight pattern as it is surrounded by water and/or crazy thick brush.

thanks,

Wes


Originally Posted by Square Nozzle View Post
Ragtop

I believe the Woodstock airport site is a members only site. So if you are a member I would assume you can fly whenever. My opinion, based on what I've seen and experienced of the runway, it's not the best. My club field is not the flattest either so I don't fly my jets there either. It's 400 feet of grass but never having flown off grass I don't know how much runway I'll need compared to hard top. I fly a Reaction 54, a Reaction X and a Yellow aircraft F-22. We do keep it well rolled but it still has gradual ups and downs along the length. As I mentioned, we have the phony runway. Basically useless for large props and jets. I looked at Wintonbury on Google maps and estimated their runway to be about 150 feet. I also watched Wes fly his Hawk on the video and he didn't use the runway but the grass area looked quite smooth and it didn't look like he had any problems.

New England Jets is just our group of jet pilots from all over New England that typically fly together at events and off days. We are (or were) an AMA registered club. We were flying at South Weymouth NAS last year but couldn't get permission to return this year. There is also Fort Devens in Mass but we are temporarily out of there for security reasons. As I said we are looking for suitable sites and you can't be reluctant to drive. NAS South Weymouth was a 1 1/2 drive for me. 99% divided highway but still a haul to an otherwise wonderful site.

Wes, how do find getting out and back into Wintonbury? I pass near there every time I take one of my dogs to West Hartford for a Vet visit so it's not far for me.

Last edited by RCflyerCT; 04-26-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:38 PM
  #9  
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vernon, CT
Posts: 1,946
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Deleted

Last edited by Square Nozzle; 04-27-2014 at 05:00 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:52 PM
  #10  
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vernon, CT
Posts: 1,946
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

New England Jets has a member that has connections with the Mass State police. I don't recall the connection but he approached the Fort Devens CO and was told that this year the site would not be available because that is where they have a high security prisoner in custody. Take a look at Google maps and you'll see that they use some of the existing runways as a patrol car driving course but there is plenty of runway remaining that is available.

South Weymouth is a great place to fly but the place is being taken over by a developer that is putting in a massive condo complex. Homes go in -------- model planes are out. There is no other activity on the site.

Wes, I may take you up on the invite to Wintonbury. Once the weather clears late this week I'll make it a point to visit the site and get a feeling for it's size relative to our place in Ellington. Thanks for the invitation.
Let me guess, you work at CIGNA or you're a golf pro at Gillette Ridge.
Regarding Hamburg, I've been told by guys in our jet group that Hamburg is definitely a must fly at site. Have you ever flown at any of the New England area jet rallies?

Last edited by Square Nozzle; 04-27-2014 at 04:58 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:55 AM
  #11  
70 ragtop
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (23)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Oxford, CT
Posts: 781
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Wes

I know this is an old thread, I did end up joining Wintonbury a couple years ago, and love it, great bunch of guys, and zero BS. Had another friend recommend Woodstock as well, but still haven't made it up there yet. Flying mostly electric these days, although some pretty good size electrics and some old DF converted to EDF

Just about everytime I bring something big, or fast to the field, I always get asked if I know Wes?? You're kind of a legion up there...lol
Anyways, we only live one town apart, should really make an attempt to meet up this season.

Mike
Old 12-17-2016, 12:35 PM
  #12  
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)
 
wfield0455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Holliston, MA
Posts: 1,271
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

I've flow my Boomerang Xl and XtremeJets Dragon out of Woodstock in the past and while the paved runway is a bit rough in some spots I didn't have any issues using it. The grass strip right next to the runways is actually quite nice as well and we used that for the Dragon as well. I also fly my Boomerang out of SSRCC in Bridgewater, MA which has an approximately 450' grass runway. No problem getting the Boomerang airborne in about 200' off of grass. Also the Otis club in Falmouth, MA is Jet friendly and has an approximately 450' - 500' well maintained grass runway.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:54 AM
  #13  
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)
 
Meesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Dracut, MA
Posts: 2,798
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Just FYI, Farview Flyers in Hamburg, PA have permanently lost their magnificent flying site.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:10 AM
  #14  
70 ragtop
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (23)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Oxford, CT
Posts: 781
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

That is really a shame!

What drove this sad loss?
Old 12-18-2016, 12:06 PM
  #15  
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)
 
Vincent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Arizona / Colorado
Posts: 4,889
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Back in the 90's I lived in North Haven I joined the Floyd Bennett club to fly my jets. A little bit of a drive but worth it.
Vin...
Old 12-18-2016, 01:20 PM
  #16  
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)
 
Eddie P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 1,913
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Vincent in 95-98 I lived in Branford, pretty close to you, and flew at the East Coast Swamp Flyers http://swampflyers.net/ site in Northford by the Honeywell plant. Mark from Branford Hobbies was the mascot back then and I used to buy a lot of stuff at his hobby shop at Branford Hobbies. Did you ever fly there when local?

I recall there was a paved field at Bridgeport too... Maybe a bit too small for turbines though.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:34 PM
  #17  
oliveDrab
 
oliveDrab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Georgetown, KY
Posts: 819
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 70 ragtop View Post
...fast to the field, I always get asked if I know Wes?? You're kind of a legion up there...lol
...kind of a legend up there...lol
Old 12-18-2016, 03:56 PM
  #18  
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)
 
Vincent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Arizona / Colorado
Posts: 4,889
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
Vincent in 95-98 I lived in Branford, pretty close to you, and flew at the East Coast Swamp Flyers http://swampflyers.net/ site in Northford by the Honeywell plant. Mark from Branford Hobbies was the mascot back then and I used to buy a lot of stuff at his hobby shop at Branford Hobbies. Did you ever fly there when local?

I recall there was a paved field at Bridgeport too... Maybe a bit too small for turbines though.
yes!! That was my club and Branford hobbies was my local shop. I flew my DF jets at ecsf field many times. I was in that club for many years. I moved to phx in late '95
Old 12-18-2016, 04:13 PM
  #19  
oliveDrab
 
oliveDrab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Georgetown, KY
Posts: 819
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
.... I moved to phx in late '95
Do you fly in Phx in the summertime? Maybe from sunup to 10 am.?
Old 12-18-2016, 05:22 PM
  #20  
70 ragtop
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (23)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Oxford, CT
Posts: 781
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by oliveDrab View Post
...kind of a legend up there...lol

Guessing you must know Wes??

BTW, lots of family in KY, what a beautiful state
Old 12-18-2016, 05:44 PM
  #21  
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)
 
Vincent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Arizona / Colorado
Posts: 4,889
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by oliveDrab View Post
Do you fly in Phx in the summertime? Maybe from sunup to 10 am.?
yup
Old 12-29-2016, 12:09 PM
  #22  
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)
 
Eddie P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 1,913
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
yes!! That was my club and Branford hobbies was my local shop. I flew my DF jets at ecsf field many times. I was in that club for many years. I moved to phx in late '95
Classic! I had many great days out there at that field. I think I was able to stay out of the corn field to the north myself the whole time, but helped guys find ditched models in there a few times. We moved back west in 98... lots of time spent at Mark's Red Barn Hobby Shop in Branford though. I'd love to go back to that field and fly one day again just for old times sake. You didn't sell him his Byron Mig-15 did you?
Old 01-02-2017, 09:52 AM
  #23  
RCflyerCT
My Feedback: (13)
 
RCflyerCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southbury, CT
Posts: 112
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Mike,

Great to hear from you...sorry I did not get back sooner, but was super busy with holidays with my 3 young kids. Let's definitely plan to meet up this season...I still fly at Wintonbury (the guys there are just so awesome - no BS like the Farmington club), and mostly bring my EDFs there (the tree pattern is just a bit tad too tight for me to be a 100% comfortable with the turbines - although I did fly my 1/4 scale Skymaster Hawk there a few times). Also the Southbury club is great for EDFs and I fly there sometimes. For turbines, the black dirt squadron is great and not too far away...also I belong to the Floyd Bennett field club (also awesome guys there). If you are ever up to an event the First in Flight turbine event in Wilson NC is just awesome and I go every year (and will this year as well - it happens the end of May). Also great is the New England Jet Rally (Gardner, MA), Big Apple jet rally (FBF), and there are a few other good ones in the NE. Give me a call anytime (203-598-1673) or give me your number and I will call you and let's plan a day of jet flying!!!

Wes

Originally Posted by 70 ragtop View Post
Wes

I know this is an old thread, I did end up joining Wintonbury a couple years ago, and love it, great bunch of guys, and zero BS. Had another friend recommend Woodstock as well, but still haven't made it up there yet. Flying mostly electric these days, although some pretty good size electrics and some old DF converted to EDF

Just about everytime I bring something big, or fast to the field, I always get asked if I know Wes?? You're kind of a legion up there...lol
Anyways, we only live one town apart, should really make an attempt to meet up this season.

Mike
Old 01-02-2017, 10:20 AM
  #24  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 3,819
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by 70 ragtop View Post
That is really a shame!

What drove this sad loss?

Regarding Fairview Fliers site:

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/12...ust_be_gr.html

My read of the judge's opinion, attached in PDF, seems to indicate neighbors got tired of overflights, crashes on their property, and thus the perceived danger due to the size and speed of the aircraft that were overflying and crashing. They were able to use zoning rules to get the flying shut down.

One guy told me on another site that he took his young grandson to the field one Sunday morning a while back. Said that there were two demo pilots there flying jets to blaring music "Highway to Hell". His observations is that folks in PA Amish country don't take well to that sort of behavior - and on a Sunday no less.

Attached Thumbnails 2482cd15_12-9-16.pdf  
Old 01-13-2017, 05:16 AM
  #25  
70 ragtop
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (23)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Oxford, CT
Posts: 781
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Wes

Sounds good, will be in touch

Mike

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.