Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF Tucano TP with JetCat SPT10

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF Tucano TP with JetCat SPT10

Old 05-13-2014, 07:16 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (72)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CARF Tucano TP with JetCat SPT10

I know there are not that many out there yet, but what props are being used on these? We will setting up a SPT10 TP on our demo CARF Tucano. Though i don't think anyone has a 5 blade that would be appropriate, have any of you heard of anywhere that does make custom props ? This will be our CARF demo as well as a cockpit and animations display so I would like for this to have not only performance, but as much "neat" factor as possible as well

I might as well do a build thread on here as well when it starts going together

thanks for any suggestions, info ..

Voy
Old 05-13-2014, 07:30 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Voy,

For flying...you will be limited to a 3 blade prop. The reason is that the Tucano requires a 4 3/4 inch spinner and a 4 blade or larger prop would require a 6 inch spinner for it to be made properly.

The 3 blade to use is the Beila 24/14 Turbo version or the 25/12 version.

Also, you have the T-27A Tucano. It always had a 3 blade prop. The Super Tucano uses a 5 blade prop but that is a completely different airplane...it only looks the same.

Dial down the prop RPM to 7750 and have at it!

Boli

Last edited by bevar; 05-13-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:01 PM
wojtek

Dial down the prop RPM to 7750 and have at it!
i don't understand ? what do you mean ? that concept is foreign to me LOL ..

yea, i might have ti do that.. Good point on the 3 blade and the spinner. I was not taking that into account at all .... thanks ..

This is the cockpit kit we have available also that i'm fitting to mine. Just finished another one for a customer that has more functions than the rest of that actual plane ! lol .. I'll have to post some video of that later ..

also, I opted for the C50 electric converison on the gear. Doors will be linear actuators.

Voy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DWI_5454.JPG
Views:	1716
Size:	686.4 KB
ID:	1995120   Click image for larger version

Name:	DWI_5413.JPG
Views:	1919
Size:	532.1 KB
ID:	1995121   Click image for larger version

Name:	DWI_5440.JPG
Views:	1398
Size:	495.9 KB
ID:	1995122  
Old 05-20-2014, 04:50 AM
wojtek

I was very excited for the big yellow truck to show up with this yesterday I can not wait to run this SPT10! The quality looks incredible, and the gear box feels super smooth! The only other geared turbine set up that I would compare this to would be what you get with Jakadofsky engines.

I also found out that Beila DOES have a 4-bladed 24/14 prop now. I Will try this and compare to the 3 blade.

Voy

Name:	20140519_150322_resized.jpg
Views:	1585
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	1996877   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140519_150354_resized.jpg
Views:	1551
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	1996878  
Old 05-20-2014, 05:20 AM
bevar

Voy,

I have a 24/14 4 blade prop...I custom ordered it with Gerhard's help and received it in February. The prop fits fine and will do nicely...the issue is that you will not be able to use it with a spinner on a Tucano because the hub is too big.

Beave

Name:	10003497_648409205207263_1431498659_n.jpg
Views:	1537
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	1996888  
Old 05-20-2014, 05:33 AM
wojtek

.the issue is that you will not be able to use it with a spinner on a Tucano because the hub is too big.
Thanks for the picture Beave, Seeing the picture makes sense. I was figurung based on your prior post that maybe the 5 blade would be too bob, but I see what you mean by the hub. 3-blader it is . I saw how that plane performs with your set up and it absolutely excellent. It was the factor that actually made me go for the SPT10.

do you have heat issues over the wings with the 10 ?

all best,

Voy
Old 05-20-2014, 06:10 AM
bevar

Voy,

Thank you for the compliments. Yes, there are unintended heat issues I am experiencing with the -10.

First, if you paint the plane, the paint will burn off the top of the right wing. It's a combination of being painted and the exhaust velocity of the P-100 and prop wash. The left wing will be fine. I have been told that if you have a "painted in the mold version"...you will be fine.

Also, the top of the cowl may melt. The SPT-10 creates so much heat and because of the design of the cowl/nacelle heat gets trapped in the upper half of the cowl much worse that before. After flying the cowl was so hot you could not touch it. Then the paint started blistering off...from the inside out. I then applied 6 coats of BVM heat shield to the underside of the upper cowl and it is blistering off.

As CARF has said in previous statements...the Tucano was not designed for such a large power plant and does not endorse anyone installing one FWIW and I am discovering why...one step at a time...LOL.

Beave

Last edited by bevar; 05-20-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:29 AM
wojtek

Thanks for the heads up Beave!

http://www.vario-helicopter.biz/us1/...ducts_id=37041

This is what I use on my turbine helicopters. You may want to try draping this under your cowling. Often we have curved pipes routing exhaust in tight heli fuselages and heat is a definite issue. Alternately you can use automotive header wrap blanket also. With the reflective mat over even a single wall pipe, its cool enough not to burn when touching, or blister paint that is less than 10mm away from the actual single wall pipe with a turbine running full power.

I might open up some more ( scale ? ) vents on the tucano also . I am planning on painting it, so maybe i will factor some metal over the wing if its a fantasy scheme, ( I was planning on grey camo military looking version )

While paint blistering is an issue, would you also be concerned about the underlying composite sandwich structure? Again, going back to the helicopters, with exhaust blowing up into the rotor head, i have been switching over to all aluminum rotor blades, as over time, the composite ones start to have the fabric weave start showing through, then the skin starts to ripple, and eventually blades will even begin to sag at the point where heat is focused ..

Voy
Old 05-20-2014, 08:23 AM
bevar

Voy,

I have rolls of that stuff leftover from my motorbike racing days. If attached to the underside it will sooner or later fall off and end up on the turbine so I have not used it plus it will trap even more heat. I am working on getting a special spinner that will force air into the nacelle as well as make some snooty looking exhaust ports on the cowing top.

R & D baby! LOL

Beave
Old 05-20-2014, 10:17 AM
kasi122

Hi wojtek,

You also can compare the Jet-Cat SPT10 to the "small" Taurus from Pahl Helicopter in Austria !!.
These turbines create the real power

http://www.pahlhelicopter.com/Taurus.htm

Andi
Old 05-22-2014, 05:00 AM
wojtek

Beave, R&D is right !! I seem like i can take on any project without stick to it being stock ! lol .. I would have so much more ready and flying if i did probably ...

Andi, I have had my eye out on Phal for a while, particularly for the helis, and there have usually been better alternatives. Here in the USA service is an issue, and the other thing is that it seems JetCat really has the gear boxes figured out. Many other manufacturers and early jetcat free turbine geared setups ( heli and turboprop ) had problems with gear boxes. Even with JetCat however, I know my SPT10 needs to go to Europe anyway however, so hopefully there are no issues.

Voy
Old 06-13-2014, 03:26 PM
heraldoboldrin

Jetcat recommended 24x14x3 for Jetcat SPT10, how are you thinking on 4 blade?
Old 06-13-2014, 05:28 PM
bevar

Herald,

Read this thread from the beginning and you will have your answer.

Cheers,

Beave

Originally Posted by heraldoboldrin View Post
Jetcat recommended 24x14x3 for Jetcat SPT10, how are you thinking on 4 blade?
Old 06-14-2014, 05:57 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Originally Posted by bevar View Post
Voy,

I have rolls of that stuff leftover from my motorbike racing days. If attached to the underside it will sooner or later fall off and end up on the turbine so I have not used it plus it will trap even more heat. I am working on getting a special spinner that will force air into the nacelle as well as make some snooty looking exhaust ports on the cowing top.

R & D baby! LOL

Beave
Mine seems to be ok with the Wren unit but is still pretty warm on the top of the cowl in spite of a healthy coat of BVM Heat Shield.

What I can't figure out is the whole airflow model inside the cowl. There's a big intake scoop, clearance around the exhausts, and the gear door hole that's uncovered on the bottom. If you face the spinner directly nose on, all of these openings face into the airflow. I don't think the air flows in and comes out anywhere, I think it just kinda swirls around in there. If there were vents on top of he cowl, my own pea brain logic says they should be "humps" with their outlets facing rearward so that the prop wash going by the vents will draw air out.

Be interesting to see what you end up with. Kingtech is supposed to be releasing a 100 size TP and I was thinking about an upgrade but a workable cooling solution is needed.

PaulD
Old 06-15-2014, 03:25 AM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We went to the Warbirds over Texas meet in North Dallas this weekend and flew the Tucano with an SPT-5 again after the new repaint. Much easier to see than the gray scheme. It's certainly a show stopper. My son put approximately 8-10 flights on it over 2 days and was pretty much maintenance free. No bubbling of the paint from the heat so far! Flies very scale-like with the SPT-5. It's more than adequate but we can always use more power, can't we? We added some slotted vents on the bottom of the plane and opened up the scale vents already molded into the fuselage. Our engine operating temps have dropped about 50-75 degrees...

I've included a picture of the Full Scale version of the plane which is in RAF 2014 demo team colors

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	2005079   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	2005085  

Last edited by patrnflyr; 06-15-2014 at 03:59 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:39 AM
bevar

That looks great! Congrats on the good weekend!

Beave
Old 06-15-2014, 07:26 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Originally Posted by patrnflyr View Post
We went to the Warbirds over Texas meet in North Dallas this weekend and flew the Tucano with an SPT-5 again after the new repaint. Much easier to see than the gray scheme. It's certainly a show stopper. My son put approximately 8-10 flights on it over 2 days and was pretty much maintenance free. No bubbling of the paint from the heat so far! Flies very scale-like with the SPT-5. It's more than adequate but we can always use more power, can't we? We added some slotted vents on the bottom of the plane and opened up the scale vents already molded into the fuselage. Our engine operating temps have dropped about 50-75 degrees...

I've included a picture of the Full Scale version of the plane which is in RAF 2014 demo team colors

John,

It definitely looks better than the grey I remember from last year, Congrats!

Regarding heat, I think I'm dealing with heat issues on the new T-Raven now, but unfortunately I haven't had time to come up with a solution yet.

Say Hi to Nick for me.

R/
George
Old 06-15-2014, 07:47 AM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will do! Thanks for the compliments. Maybe see you at our T-38 again this October.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:00 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Originally Posted by patrnflyr View Post
Will do! Thanks for the compliments. Maybe see you at our T-38 again this October.
Sorry John, I won't be able to make it, but ave fun and don't get sick this year! ;-)
Old 12-23-2014, 11:57 AM
tassos p

Hey all,

Looking for a cockpit for the Tucano. Any options?

Hey Voy,

Sent you a pm.

Tassos
Old 12-23-2014, 12:30 PM
wojtek

Tassos, sorry, not doing any more custom work. Just my own models after i wrap up some last remaining orders ..

some scale parts and pieces can be found here and ill be posting more ..
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/VOY

www.dreamworksrc.com will continue carrying the MFD screens .. and eventually some more cockpit kits ..

all best,

Voy
Old 11-07-2016, 01:41 AM
phantom_najd
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by wojtek View Post

I was very excited for the big yellow truck to show up with this yesterday I can not wait to run this SPT10! The quality looks incredible, and the gear box feels super smooth! The only other geared turbine set up that I would compare this to would be what you get with Jakadofsky engines.

I also found out that Beila DOES have a 4-bladed 24/14 prop now. I Will try this and compare to the 3 blade.

Voy
Hi there,

Let us see how funny it is to wake up a thread after almost 2 years of the last post

I have recently bought a SPT10 from my CARF Tucano. Last night I had it out and took a close look at it as I was aligning the firewall. I have three questions and I was hoping to get help here:

1. In SPT10 what should be on top when mounting the engine? Cable on top or bottom?

2. How should I connect the three Festo connectors on the gearbox section? I attached a picture showing these connectors labeled with number to ease explanation (copied from a previous post by Voy).

3. It was mentioned on this thread to limit the RPM to 7500, is there a recommendation on the maximum RPM with the model static on the ground?

Thanks,

Azzam

Name:	SPT10.jpg
Views:	1416
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	2189203  

Last edited by phantom_najd; 11-07-2016 at 01:43 AM.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:49 AM
rbgetz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Azzam,

Hopefully someone better suited will answer your question, I just received my SPT-10 yesterday. Here's the diagram that was included showing the setup. I'm just starting to read through it all. the manual that came with it was for the SPT-5 and then JC included the standard RX manual for the V10 ECU. Obviously JC is a little behind in getting manuals updated for the SPT-10.

Name:	SPT-10 V10.JPG
Views:	1475
Size:	712.0 KB
ID:	2194215  
Old 12-25-2016, 08:12 PM
phantom_najd
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by rbgetz View Post
Hi Azzam,

Hopefully someone better suited will answer your question, I just received my SPT-10 yesterday. Here's the diagram that was included showing the setup. I'm just starting to read through it all. the manual that came with it was for the SPT-5 and then JC included the standard RX manual for the V10 ECU. Obviously JC is a little behind in getting manuals updated for the SPT-10.

Thanks rbgetz... that explains all the ports. However, I am placing the fuel filter after the gearbox to (I think) prevent any debris from getting inside the engine. Actually, this is what JC recommends (which is different from the diagram above!!!) as shown in the picture below

So yeah I agree JC are obviously behind in the SPT 10 documents. BTW, what prop will you start with? I will start with Biella 24x14x3 which I know is used on a Tucano with SPT 10 in Germany and it looks like a very good match.

Azzam

Name:	IMG_0817.PNG
Views:	1595
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	2194302  
Old 12-26-2016, 05:33 AM
rbgetz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan to start with the same prop. the 24x14 3.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.