Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What Gyros are you using for your jets.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What Gyros are you using for your jets.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:59 PM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Gyros are you using for your jets.

The JR 370 gyro seems to be the gyro of choice for the jet community. With good reason, they are compact, reliable and work well. And also a little pricey, IMHO. Im interested to know other gyro options that might be less costly but have similar results.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:14 PM
mario tavarez14
My Feedback: (37)

The barvarian Demon Gyro is my choice
Old 06-26-2014, 03:03 PM
Flynstuff
My Feedback: (29)

The best!!!!

http://www.rcturbinejets.com/demon-gyro.html
Old 06-26-2014, 04:09 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A question for the guys that use the Bavarian Demon Cortex gyro in their jets. I have a BD Cortex, which I have used in a smaller electric aerobatics plane, just to see how well it works before installing it in a jet. It works great, and makes the plane feel as if there is no wind at all, but assuming 2 Ailerons, 2 Elevators and a Rudder, what do you do to stabilize steering? Do you use a Y harness with the rudder channel? Install a separate gyro for the steering?
Old 06-26-2014, 06:28 PM
jsnipes
My Feedback: (3)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Cortex for me with great results! JS
Old 06-26-2014, 08:24 PM
Pepperpete

Demon Cortex all the way. Absolutely fantastic gyro and setup is less than 5 minutes. No screwing around it just works.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:28 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I was considering the demon but it has some limits when it comes to multiple surfaces applications so I went the Igyro route with the GPS sensor.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:53 PM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is their a supplier of the demon cortex that will ship to Europe?

Last edited by Jim Cattanach; 06-26-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:06 PM
cairoman

Lindinger and Der Schweighofer.

Chris
Old 06-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:30 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was considering the demon but it has some limits when it comes to multiple surfaces applications
Fender, can you clarify the issue you perceive with the Cortex on multiple surface applications?
Old 06-27-2014, 02:45 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderBean
I was considering the demon but it has some limits when it comes to multiple surfaces applications so I went the Igyro route with the GPS sensor.
What model did you install your Igyro into?
Old 06-27-2014, 03:41 AM
Gonzalo38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have installed five (5) iGyros with GPS in my planes. Three (3) of them are original iGyros and two (2) of them are the ones that come with the Powerbox Royal SRS.

Very happy with them and the support of Richard in their forum in case you have a question, is great. Based on this experience, I wouldn't install anything different in my planes.

Several other pilots in our club have also installed iGyros (at least five more).
Old 06-27-2014, 03:50 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I am loving the eagle tree Guardian. Its $75 and with the new software you can switch heading hold on and off. So for $75 how can you afford not to install one? The benifets are huge. Now when I am flying scale on windy days my plane does not flop around in the wind.

Would love to try the cortex someday.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:07 AM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by Bob_B
What model did you install your Igyro into?
Twin F-15 and 46% Ultimate
I use Sbus/Robbie systems and you are limited on outputs unless you use Y harness. My F-15 is 2 rudders, 2 elevators, two ailerons and nose wheel. Before it gets confused, I never said there was a problem just some limitations you can still use it on anything just is limited for me because of the way I setup my stuff.

setup is a breeze on the demon for sure but I like the GPS feature on the Igyro because it can adjust gains as needed for the particular speed your at.

Last edited by FenderBean; 06-27-2014 at 06:09 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:17 AM
shepp

Has anybody tried the "gyro-bot" wing jet?

shepp
Old 06-27-2014, 07:11 AM
RCflyerCT
My Feedback: (13)

Cortex FTW
Old 06-27-2014, 07:16 AM
Bob_B

Twin F-15 and 46% Ultimate
I use Sbus/Robbie systems and you are limited on outputs unless you use Y harness. My F-15 is 2 rudders, 2 elevators, two ailerons and nose wheel. Before it gets confused, I never said there was a problem just some limitations you can still use it on anything just is limited for me because of the way I setup my stuff.

setup is a breeze on the demon for sure but I like the GPS feature on the Igyro because it can adjust gains as needed for the particular speed your at.

From the Powerbox website:

• Extremely accurate triple-axis MEMS sensor
  • Special regulatory algorithm designed for fixed-wing model aircraft
  • Menu-based setup assistant
  • Three-stage flight phase switching
  • Three axes distributed to five servos, each adjustable independently
  • GPS-regulated gyro gain
  • Integral delta mixer
  • Can be installed in any attitude
  • Graphic OLED screen with 128 x 64 pixels
  • Ultra-simple menu-controlled programming method using the SensorSwitch
  • SRS technology for use with various bus systems:
    Futaba S-Bus, Spektrum DSM2 / DSMX, JR DMSS, HoTT, M-Link and Jeti

It looks like the two have exactly the same number of I/O's
Old 06-27-2014, 07:40 AM
FenderBean

Im not talking about physical connections, since you seem to be trying to make something of my comments please go back and read further on the powerbox systems page on the product description. It talks about not being limited to just those 5 servos when you use things like Bus type systems, which is what I stated in my post. Here it is from the website.

"The need for mixers, such as elevator to rudder or flaps, is eliminated entirely. The iGyro exploits the latest servo bus technology to minimize the extremely complex wiring arrangements necessitated by previous gyro systems."

Here it also talks about the GPS sensor and the auto gain adjustment based on speed.
"The ability to assign any channel to the gain adjusters makes it possible to set up the desired gyro effect accurately in just one short flight. Independent adjustment of each of the five outputs is possible, enabling the modeller to set up gyro gain and direction of effect precisely. The separate GPS sensor provides a means of obtaining a constant gyro effect over the model’s full speed range, effectively eliminating the problem of over-compensation leading to oscillation in high-speed flight. In version 16 and later the software include a menu-based setup assistant which makes it possible to complete all the settings in just a few minutes."
Forgive me if I am wrong but I cannot do this with the Demon and thats why I consider it to have some limitations verses the Igyro. I was just giving my opinion and if I am wrong sorry about that I have only read it instruction manual and read peoples comments from this forum and Flying Giants.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:02 AM
Bob_B

Not trying to make anything of your comments, simply trying to understand your post.

This statement you made is confusing to me.

"I use Sbus/Robbie systems and you are limited on outputs unless you use Y harness."

So what I think you are saying is, by using a serial bus radio setup such as Futaba there are no limitations as to how many servos can be used on each output of the gyro through the use of S-Bus Servos and wiring.

If so, that would be a nice feature for some models.

But I would say for the great majority the Cortex would fit the bill perfectly.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:02 AM
peekay
My Feedback: (6)

Hi,
Working up towards turbine jets, but not there yet...Do all/most turbine jet flyers use gyros in their models? Or is it just the personal preference of some?
Thank you.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:17 AM
FenderBean

No worries, I am a futaba user and I use Sbus so it allows me to link in multiple servos without using the extra wiring you would need without Sbus, this would require servo matching with either a programmer or matchbox and some Y harnesses. I wasn't trying to saying it wouldnt fit his needs just trying to help him gather info on what gyros people use.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:20 AM
Bob_B

Gyros have been the cause of an explosion for Flybarless helis . Gyros for fixed wing flying are gaining in popularity, and not just turbine powered models.
In the last year gyros in jets has been on the rise. They make any model that much nicer to fly. Bad weather conditions are not as much a limiting factor either.
Try one in your model I'm pretty sure you will like it.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:27 AM
Bob_B

No worries, I am a futaba user and I use Sbus so it allows me to link in multiple servos without using the extra wiring you would need without Sbus, this would require servo matching with either a programmer or matchbox and some Y harnesses. I wasn't trying to saying it wouldnt fit his needs just trying to help him gather info on what gyros people use.

Yes, Serial Bus Systems have some nice advantages to them. While the Cortex can be setup with a S-Bus input it is still a pwm output.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:10 AM
Pepperpete

With the Cortex I can fly on days I never even would have considered in the past. Wind? Pffffffffft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.