Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbine flying at non AMA flying site?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine flying at non AMA flying site?

Old 07-13-2014, 06:04 AM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turbine flying at non AMA flying site?

Can someone help shed a light on this question. I've asked a few people and nobody seems to know exactly...

Parts of the year, I work/live in a place with no AMA flying clubs or AMA approved flying fields. It's in a US Territory, not a state.

As an AMA turbine waiver holder, is it true that turbine flying can only take place at an approved flying site ?

We have a great flying site on a nearby island where a group of guys fly 3D, helicopters, giant scale and EDF jets of a High School sports complex when it's not used on weekends. No houses nearby, so the field is well suited for flying.

Was thinking about bringing a small P-20 powered jet the next time I go there, but I don't want to be in violation of AMA rules.

Anyone?
Old 07-13-2014, 06:10 AM
Wclays
My Feedback: (85)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you follow the AMA Safety code you should be ok, there is nothing that says you must fly at an AMA site.

Usually the Safety code and common sense works.

But asking the AMA is always the best way to be sure.

Clay
Old 07-13-2014, 02:15 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I live, and fly turbines, in a USA Territory (Puerto Rico). AMA coverage is the same as in the states.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:40 PM
-JC-

Edgar, do you fly from an AMA approved field?

My understanding was that as a waiver holder, you can only fly from AMA approved fields. But, it may be wrong

i was in PR Tuesday. Will shoot you a PM next time I'm there over a weekend. Would be great to see where you guys fly
Old 07-13-2014, 06:16 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I have absolutely no knowledge of the rule in question, I can't imagine the AMA would expect someone to only fly turbines at an AMA sanctioned field. If you have your own flying field on your own property, how can the AMA say that if you fly a turbine there, they will revoke your waiver? I think the whole point of the waiver is to prove that you are capable of safely operating and flying a turbine powered model so that you "can" fly it at an AMA field.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:18 PM
causeitflies

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

JC
AMA does not approve fields or flying sites. They sanction events and charter clubs.
They do however have recommendations on the layout of the site. If there was such a thing as an AMA site and that was the only place you could fly, then we couldn't have most of our jet rallies at airports as we do.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:36 AM
FenderBean

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

JC do what I did when there was different answers, just call AMA and ask.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:08 AM
-JC-

So, basically what you guys are saying, AMA does not care where turbines are flown, as long as it's done in a safe manner according to their rules? That's good news.

ill call the AMA to confirm
Old 07-14-2014, 08:58 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

John I believe the only additional AMA requirement for turbine operation (in an everyday, non event setting) is to have a fire extinguisher and a phone on hand.

As other stated there is no such thing as an "AMA field".

EDIT: if you call I would ask for Ilona, she knows the most about turbine operations.

Regards,
Old 07-14-2014, 09:05 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Wclays View Post

Usually the Safety code and common sense works.

Probably a good combination to keep in mind. I like to think of the "code" as a check list to help steer one in the correct direction.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:33 AM
rgburrill

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

It's all about the insurance coverage. As I understand it if you are not at an AMA club field you are on your own. And that goes for any type of plane.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:10 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With respect that is not correct.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:31 AM
learn2turn

Originally Posted by mr_matt View Post
With respect that is not correct.
With respect, may I ask what is not correct? There is not way to tell whether you are referring to the post directly above yours or a prior post.

When commenting on the validity of something, it's always best to make it clear what you are commenting on.

PS

I remember Major Matt Mason on TV when I was a kid in the 60s.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:40 AM
Wclays
My Feedback: (85)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill View Post
It's all about the insurance coverage. As I understand it if you are not at an AMA club field you are on your own. And that goes for any type of plane.
You do not have to be at an AMA field to be covered for insurance. AMA charters the club and helps provide liability insurance for the land owner.

You are 1st covered by your homeowners insurance and AMA is a secondary insurance, if no homeowners then AMA becomes the primary insurance.

If you follow the posted AMA safety guide lines and the turbine protocols you would be covered under AMA if needed.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:30 PM
DEVILDOG
My Feedback: (12)

First of all you dont have to be an AMA member or waiver holder to fly turbines. You have to have the waiver if you want to fly in an AMA club or event. Your city would have ordinaces posted that rc cant be flown in a residential area etc. If you own land or have permission to fly on someones property and you dont conflict with any FAA flight rules then you can do whatever the heck you want. SAFELY
+1 on what Wclays above said also.

Last edited by DEVILDOG; 07-14-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:44 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by -JC- View Post
Edgar, do you fly from an AMA approved field?
My understanding was that as a waiver holder, you can only fly from AMA approved fields. But, it may be wrong
i was in PR Tuesday. Will shoot you a PM next time I'm there over a weekend. Would be great to see where you guys fly
Hi John,
I fly from an AMA chartered club. As already mentioned, AMA does not approve, or disapprove, fields.
My club is located about 20 minutes from the San Juan airport. We have about 750 feet of asphalt runway. We will be glad to have you in the club next time you are in PR.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:47 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

They are AMA sanction flying fields in PR. that said my opinion is you can fly at any suitable place if it is adequate, you have a waiver, a spotter and a fire extinguisher
Old 07-14-2014, 04:23 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John, for years we have flown off of 3 different fields, full scale uncontrolled airports. The only AMA is the personal membership we each carry. Of course we have permission from the airport and follow the safety rules of AMA and a few asked by the airports. It's that easy and mostly just have respect for that location and the surroundings.

Mark
Old 07-15-2014, 05:48 AM
rgburrill

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Wclays View Post
You do not have to be at an AMA field to be covered for insurance. AMA charters the club and helps provide liability insurance for the land owner.

You are 1st covered by your homeowners insurance and AMA is a secondary insurance, if no homeowners then AMA becomes the primary insurance.

If you follow the posted AMA safety guide lines and the turbine protocols you would be covered under AMA if needed.
I stand corrected.