Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Newbie questions on turbines

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Newbie questions on turbines

Old 09-04-2014, 03:34 PM
juanjulian
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie questions on turbines

Sorrry if my questions reads very basic:

Does turbine oil and Jet A1 separate over time after being stored for a long time? Bp turbo oil 2380

Suspect this is a possible cause for my premature bearings failure. Mixed oil and fuel and stored for about 7 month before finishing my project.

Thanks

Juan
Old 09-04-2014, 04:12 PM
bikecrasher

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

not too sure mate...
I always give my fuel a few shakes on fly day just incase... ive been lucky and had only one bearing go on me.. a gen1 jetcat p120 after three ecus and four pumps the rear bearing started to make some noise..
Im surprised with all the views no one has replied to you yet....
Old 09-04-2014, 04:18 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I suppose many of us don't have mixed fuel that sits so long. But I've heard that the oil/gas mixture will separate over time.

By the time I get my jersey modeler from my garage to putting fuel in my jet, it has been shaken up again just by all the movement. I've never (thankfully) have had to worry about it.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:23 PM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't think you're going to get a definitive/evidence based answer because the oil really wasn't designed to be used this way. At least that's my understanding. Whether it stays in suspension is probably doubtful for really extended periods. No data to back that up. But like the previous post, it's just best to shake the can up like you would for yow stroke gas/oil mix.

But, there are a ton of factors that'll kill bearings, especially if the engine was set up for a while also.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:22 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Generally no... it's not going to separate out. I live in a snow state... and I generally don't fly when it gets cold. So... I have fuel that can sit 6 months, and I haven't had an issue. But... with that said... I've never used the BP oils. (originally Shell 500, and now DTE)

As above... just give it a good shake before using it, if that's in question.