Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

EPA strikes again....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

EPA strikes again....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 05:44 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default EPA strikes again....

I've been running Jet-A in my turbines since I'm a retired full scale mechanic and thought it best, but when down to the local airport today and asked the local FBO for some Jet-A, he told me that they'd gotten an email from the EPA prohibiting over the counter sales of aviation fuel. I'm guessing the Feds were after those non descript polluters who put Av-Gas in their jet ski's, snowmobiles and god forbid, their high performance cars (a practice I won't get into as I think it's flawed) or whatever. The EPA did not exclude Jet-A from the edict, sooo.... no more Jet-A from the local FBO in the USA....
Old 10-06-2014, 05:50 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I got fed up of kissing ar$e at my local airports for Jet-A. I use pump kero.

When diesel gets "easy" (some engines need parameter changes to run it and I can see forgetting that and then I get kero one day and then the engine won't run the same, yada, yada, yada.....) I may switch.

But right now, it's easy enough to get pump Kero.

And I hear you, the whole "EPA" thing bugs me as a whole. They will shut down a field because of the underground three legged grub population may be in the vicinity.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:55 PM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plus Jet-A stinks to high heaven when spilled.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:57 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill

When diesel gets "easy" (some engines need parameter changes to run it and I can see forgetting that and then I get kero one day and then the engine won't run the same, yada, yada, yada.....) I may switch.

And I hear you, the whole "EPA" thing bugs me as a whole. They will shut down a field because of the underground three legged grub population may be in the vicinity.
Raffy, Diesel is easy already. No parameter changes on my cheetahs or my 160sx. Over 5 hours on the 160SX and forever on the cheetahs. Just go for it and forget about Kero forever!!!!
Old 10-06-2014, 06:00 PM
Dustin Buescher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Once you go diesel, you never go back!"
Old 10-06-2014, 06:01 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by Dustin Buescher
"Once you go diesel, you never go back!"
+1!!!!

Diesel is a must. If a turbine cant run on it, it is not for me!
Old 10-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Diesel stinks worse than jet A imo
Old 10-06-2014, 06:23 PM
bri6672
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No parameter changes on on P120, K140 and K210.. In my opinion diesel does not smell that bad compared to jet A or even Kero. Diesel is just soooo easy!
Old 10-06-2014, 06:37 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
I've been running Jet-A in my turbines since I'm a retired full scale mechanic and thought it best, but when down to the local airport today and asked the local FBO for some Jet-A, he told me that they'd gotten an email from the EPA prohibiting over the counter sales of aviation fuel. I'm guessing the Feds were after those non descript polluters who put Av-Gas in their jet ski's, snowmobiles and god forbid, their high performance cars (a practice I won't get into as I think it's flawed) or whatever. The EPA did not exclude Jet-A from the edict, sooo.... no more Jet-A from the local FBO in the USA....
Same story this place, since 2 years ago... some people here are using diesel, but even if it works well I don´t like the smell and above all the cloud of smoke at startup and shutdown. Doing the same as Raf, using regular pump kero , without issues so far.

Sounds crazy, but the pump kero seems to develop less algae in the cans than the jet a1 I used to buy at the airport,
Old 10-07-2014, 12:02 AM
number27

jet a1 smells worse than kero, ask the wife.

running diesel for 18 months all kingtechs. wud not change back
Old 10-07-2014, 05:38 AM
erbroens

Is more about how our brains are wired: to me jet a1 smell happiness. And my wife never complained about it .. I don´t have any other bad habits but flying jets.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:51 AM
Tec
My Feedback: (5)

There are small county airports here in CO when you can drive right out to the pumps and get fuel, only if there is no airplanes fueling at the time. I do regularly buy AV gas for my snowmobiles in the winter and the little airports are thankful because they are making money, I'm building my first turbine this winter and plan on running diesel after talking to Berry at King Tech, It's just to easy to get it without worrying about carrying a massive amount of fuel to a fly-in or traveling to a neighboring field.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:52 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

I don't think it's an EPA thing.. It's a FAA thing. Too many big brother's !!!

Danno
Old 10-07-2014, 06:15 AM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Diesel just has a residual smoke when you shut it down. Maybe I am just use to it and I really don't smell anything out of the norm. On the service side, when I get a turbine in for repair, I can tell if it is ran on jet A as soon as I cut the tape to open the box. It has a distinct skunky foul smell that none of the others have including diesel.

JMO

Dirk
KingTech Service
Old 10-07-2014, 06:17 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Originally Posted by ravill

Hey Raf, the three legged grub has feelings too

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LmfRMeU6pQ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I went to diesel but went back to kero. didn't like the smell and smoke and the price difference negligible.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:20 AM
warbird_1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what the ? ................
Old 10-07-2014, 07:22 AM
warbird_1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have been using undyed pump kero for years and i like it better. it burns " i think" cleaner than jet-a . screw the EPA
Old 10-07-2014, 07:30 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Tec
There are small county airports here in CO when you can drive right out to the pumps and get fuel, only if there is no airplanes fueling at the time. I do regularly buy AV gas for my snowmobiles in the winter and the little airports are thankful because they are making money, I'm building my first turbine this winter and plan on running diesel after talking to Berry at King Tech, It's just to easy to get it without worrying about carrying a massive amount of fuel to a fly-in or traveling to a neighboring field.
I considered going to the next airport south which is a smaller non controlled field, but there is pump Kerosene available not far from my house so that's what I wound up buying. You may not be able to still buy fuel at the smaller airports either, they guy who runs line services at the airport I went to said they'd gotten the notice from the EPA just a few days ago.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:32 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I just bought 10 gallons of Jet-A on Sunday here in Florida with no issues.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:47 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Diesel believer here. Done with Kero and JetA.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Shaun Evans

Yeah,

EPA?!? What a dumb idea. Who needs clean air or water anyway.....

I spilled Jet-A on a tshirt a few years back. It still stinks of it to this day. Diesel man!
Old 10-07-2014, 10:02 AM
gbarnes

Originally Posted by afterburner
Hey Raf, the three legged grub has feelings too

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LmfRMeU6pQ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I went to diesel but went back to kero. didn't like the smell and smoke and the price difference negligible.
WHERE DID THAT COME FROM? Somebody drinking the diesel???
Old 10-07-2014, 10:12 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowAircraft
Yeah,

EPA?!? What a dumb idea. Who needs clean air or water anyway.....

I spilled Jet-A on a tshirt a few years back. It still stinks of it to this day. Diesel man!
Put dish soap on the spill on the fabric, no water. Leave to sit for an hour, rinse with cold water. Repeat one more time. Then run through the washing machine with hot water.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:31 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

I have read a lot on guys swapping to diesel, and the argument usually comes from Jetcat owners,,, and I know its good for kingtech, but the last I read some guys were running diesel in jetcats, and some say you cant, said it is proven to cause "coking " in the turbine. They also stated that JETCAT has never endorsed diesel as an approved fuel for jetcats,, when I was reading this information, it was a little while back, has any thing new came out on the jetcat side,, I have a p120SX and the last thing I want to do is damage it by running bad fuel thru it. is Diesel actually ok to run in the jetcats? I know some are doing it, but I also know guys who only run AV fuel in their gassers, and they don't pull any harder than mine which I run on premium pump gas,
Old 10-07-2014, 01:54 PM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Most likely EPA and they are after people using 100LL(low lead) for use other than aviation.
For our jets, diesel is cheaper and easier to get so I'll never go with Kero or JetA again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.