Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Tony Nijhuis Vulcan bomber

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Tony Nijhuis Vulcan bomber

Old 03-27-2020, 12:44 AM
BashaBolla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys
Thanks for the comments /info re wheels and brakes.
I am indeed a long way from needing the wheels but I can see this is going to be an area that is not quite as straightforward as it might first appear - so I might as well get onto it now !
I would go with the TN set ( and beef up the spring ?) but , given that I have a set of electrons available, it seems such a waste to pay some 600 when all I really need are the mains oleos .
I am not a metal worker but can turn my hand to most things so I may have a go at making my own ( thanks for the photo Dave- if you have any more they would be much appreciated ! ) ...or I might see if there is anyone who has the tools and skills and is bored and fancies a little job .
I will check out the JP range of wheels/brakes as suggested ( although I would prefer to use Electron ones as the JP's tend to be all on or off )..perhaps 65mm nose wheels wouldnt be noticeably larger than they should be........
Just starting them build ...top deck sheeted....but it is proving fiddly to get it all square with the ribs being so long and twisted !

Old 03-27-2020, 02:32 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The load on the nose wheel is relatively light, so proportional brakes won’t really add much, the Vulcan has a tonne of rolling drag, so brakes are not really needed! Holding it before or after take off is the main function.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:22 AM
BashaBolla

Thanks Dave..agreed....I am hoping that with the relatively light wing loading I may be able to fly this from a strip that I sometimes use that is grass and relatively short . I can get my other jets off there by holding them on the brakes until the turbine has spooled up to max ....it would be good to be able to do that with this one too..but its not a deal breaker .
Currently considering just twin main wheels ...the dangling bogies do look great ..but I am not sure if its 600 great ! ( if I go with twin mains on each side I can brake them instead of the nose .
I will have to see what I can come up with re : the dangling bogies though as I would much prefer them ..........
Old 03-27-2020, 11:11 AM
Dave Batchelor

Hi Richard,

Sent you a PM

Cheers
Dave