Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New big Ripmax Xcalibur (Xcalibur+)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New big Ripmax Xcalibur (Xcalibur+)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 10:15 AM
Tom ling

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
love that video, can’t wait to get mine flying :-)
Old 06-09-2020, 10:18 AM
Tom ling

Originally Posted by richbran
Tom
The bigger the engine You choose, the more residual Idle thrust You have to cope with. The speedbrake did not brake enough to my liking. So I added a mixer to get UP ailerons upon selecting full flaps. It still did not slow down enough so I mixed in some 20mm of rudder toe-out, which makes for a perfect speed brake (with no elevator compensation necessary...) I wrote about it a few pages back in this thread.
Good luck with it. It is a very nice flyer, not vicious at all, I can land it with so much elev, that the tail booms touch first. Had to make some metal skids to protect the tail boom's underside!
thanks mate I will have a look into setting the rudder toe out. I never thought of that. 👍
Old 06-09-2020, 10:39 PM
richbran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The F16 has tail mounted speed brakes, as has the Fokker F28. As they are close or on the fuse's centreline, and are not influencing the wing's airflow, they produce hardly any pitch or other surprising aerodynamic effects. Just like an imaginary rope at the back of the plane that someone holds.
The use of rudders with twin rudder planes is used more than You think, like in the F18 Hornet, read all about in in this site: https://aviation.stackexchange.com/q...during-takeoff
However, because here the rudders are well above the centreline, AND they are canted, they DO induce pitch moments,(in this case with toe in) which the F18 needs to compensate missing (nose UP) pitch authority during certain weapons configuration carrier take offs.
Canted twin rudders start to look like V-tails and use the aerodynamic effects like one. If You were to fly a V-tailed plane, for pitch UP You would mix "toe IN"
But again, the effect on the Xcal+'s behavior is only braking, because the rudders sit much lower and are not canted.
The following users liked this post:
Tom ling (07-19-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 12:36 PM
Mick Hargreaves

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my haste to get in the air tonight I have inadvertently over tightened one of the wing clamp bolts. Nut is now just spinning in the clamp although I have managed to get the wing tube out. Any ideas, would hate to have to perform surgery on the wing?
Old 09-14-2020, 12:55 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

No choice but to cut a piece of skin out. Remove the screw. Push something pointy through to mark the position and cut a square out
Old 09-14-2020, 01:12 PM
Mick Hargreaves

Ok Dave, thanks. Thought it would be a cut job in the end.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:27 PM
Dave Wilshere

Yep, I’ve had other Popeye armed customers 😉
Old 09-15-2020, 01:23 AM
PrionPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it’s more likely that you put downward pressure on the bolt and pushed the nut out of its recess.
try levering the bolt head upwards while turning it before going down the surgery route.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:56 AM
richbran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because the Xcal has 4 bolts that need to be loosened before one can insert the spar, and then re tightened plus the wing bolts, and all of that twice each flying day, I use an electric drill. But I always check and recheck that the torque limiter is set to 1,5 or so, when tightening.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:46 AM
Mick Hargreaves

The nut is still in there, just not that captive anymore. Keyhole surgery will reveal the issue.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:06 PM
Dave Wilshere

The nut is just pressed into the nylon and possible to rotate in the housing because it’s a large screw where lots of force can be excerpted.
I flew mine several times without tightening and the wings don’t move, just a gentle ‘nip’ was all that was ever required.

How many hours on your P-130 Rx now Mick?
Old 09-15-2020, 10:22 PM
Mick Hargreaves

Just over 17 hrs now. Always a pleasure to fly, long wheel base van at the moment means I just have to put the wings on at the field.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:18 AM
Mick Hargreaves

I really must get my arms recalibrated! Seems I had tightened it so much the bolt had ‘picked up’ and it would come out. Cut a small inspection hatch and drilled a 2mm hole in the plastic clamp next to the nut. Wicked in some thin CA and out it came. Cleaned the thread with a M5 tap and fitted a new lubricated bolt. Back in business in time for the weekend.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:22 PM
Nonino

[QUOTE=Turbulence;12606450]I had sent the sizes of the main gas tank of the Xcalibur Plus to Carlos at CM Jets and now I have the main tanks for both Xcalibur jets, you can purchase with our without built in UAT's. All I had for comparison close by was an ACEx 80.

/QUOTE]
can have the price thank for Xcalibur plus?
Old 10-22-2020, 03:51 AM
mtnbiker63

Just installed the larger of the CMJets tanks and it looks amazing. I have a quick question and sorry if this has been covered before. I have not read all 26 pages of this thread. I just noticed while installing the new tank, that the tank is completely in front of the CG. IS THIS CORRECT? On all my turbine jets, the fuel tank is near the CG. How much fuel should I have in the tank to balance the plane? I also have a Swiwin 170 installed for power. Setting the CG at 195mm, I needed two 2S 6000 and one 3S 5000 batteries to get the correct CG.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:00 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnbiker63
Just installed the larger of the CMJets tanks and it looks amazing. I have a quick question and sorry if this has been covered before. I have not read all 26 pages of this thread. I just noticed while installing the new tank, that the tank is completely in front of the CG. IS THIS CORRECT? On all my turbine jets, the fuel tank is near the CG. How much fuel should I have in the tank to balance the plane? I also have a Swiwin 170 installed for power. Setting the CG at 195mm, I needed two 2S 6000 and one 3S 5000 batteries to get the correct CG.
‘I have the same tank....not finish with the build, but I will be doing the C&G with about an 1” of fuel....I also have smoke so both UAT will be full....that motor might be heavy...obviously also way over power

Old 10-22-2020, 09:05 AM
Dave Wilshere

All Xcalibur models have the fuel forward, but as stated balance with around 1” fuel. Daniel has a help installing two of the heaviest UATs (Empty!) up front.
You don’t notice the fuel burn shift as much as some airframes.

Way too much power...
Old 10-22-2020, 09:10 AM
Dansy

All Xcalibur models have the fuel forward, but as stated balance with around 1” fuel. Daniel has a help installing two of the heaviest UATs (Empty!) up front.
You don’t notice the fuel burn shift as much as some airframes.

Way too much power...
‘Yes I only used the best UAT available none of that plastic stuff.....

And I will use a smaller motor.....K160 G4 😂
Old 10-22-2020, 10:04 AM
Dave Wilshere

Oh..and No.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:05 AM
Dansy

Oh..and No.
Wow ..and Yes... 🤣
Old 10-23-2020, 04:09 AM
Tom ling

My Plus had a JC 160 in, and to be honest it was a perfect match, I don’t think you can over power it if you use your thumb correctly. 😉 nice to have the power for vertical’s straight away. And then down to half throttle for normal flying 👍 the idle thrust would increase of course. But the flap should over come that.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:07 AM
Dave Wilshere

The prototype video above had a P-180Rx, but JetCat have a low idle thrust figure compared to most.
Its all speed awareness and years of spotting for people has told me most people don’t think they are flying fast or pulling hard...then the wings come off 😉
Old 10-23-2020, 02:02 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Mick Hargreaves
In my haste to get in the air tonight I have inadvertently over tightened one of the wing clamp bolts. Nut is now just spinning in the clamp although I have managed to get the wing tube out. Any ideas, would hate to have to perform surgery on the wing?
I found myself in the same situation last weekend. I had no issue tightening the bolts but when it came to undoing them I had one strip. LUCKILY I was able to get it out after trying several allen drivers from various other pilots I found one that worked. Now I'm really concerned about it happening again, one guy recommended putting anti-seize on the bolts. My issue is even though I only try to tighten them as much as necessary, they are aluminum clamps with steel bolts and it's like I Loctite them in even though I obviously don't. Has anyone tried anti-seize on them? I'm concerned they will loosen during flight.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:19 PM
Mick Hargreaves

Originally Posted by camss69
I found myself in the same situation last weekend. I had no issue tightening the bolts but when it came to undoing them I had one strip. LUCKILY I was able to get it out after trying several allen drivers from various other pilots I found one that worked. Now I'm really concerned about it happening again, one guy recommended putting anti-seize on the bolts. My issue is even though I only try to tighten them as much as necessary, they are aluminum clamps with steel bolts and it's like I Loctite them in even though I obviously don't. Has anyone tried anti-seize on them? I'm concerned they will loosen during flight.
I use anti-seize, not an issue. The clamp is plastic and even with a gentle nip the bolt will not loosen in flight. I would withdraw the bolts and check the threads. My issue was the threads were wearing and ‘picking up’ in the nuts. If in doubt change the cap heads for some decent quality ones. Having to cut into the wing is not good.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:23 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Mick Hargreaves
I use anti-seize, not an issue. The clamp is plastic and even with a gentle nip the bolt will not loosen in flight. I would withdraw the bolts and check the threads. My issue was the threads were wearing and ‘picking up’ in the nuts. If in doubt change the cap heads for some decent quality ones. Having to cut into the wing is not good.
Thanks, I don't have an Xcalibur, different plane but same/similar issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.