Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbine Test Stand

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine Test Stand

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 10:38 PM
FlyinTiger
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Turbine Test Stand

After searching for ideas for a turbine test stand I could not find any designs that suited my need for a modular, portable device to hold my turbine and associated gear for test runs.

Using some scrap aluminum, one inch diameter PVC pipe, Ts, elbows, 1/2 inch plywood and some screws, I fabricated this design. By simply screwing this framework to the table, I had a stable platform for testing this K-180. I'm not interested in verifying pounds of thrust, but just running a new or recently repaired turbine before installing in my jet where any extra heat is unwelcomed.

The aluminum plates are adjustable by drilling more holes to accomodate different sized turbines. I anticipate this mount will work for running a turboprop where the intake is toward the fuel tank and prop is pointing away from the stand.

If anyone else has a stand they made from easily obtained materials that is simple, please post a picture so we can all improve our designs!

Video link: http://youtu.be/tmbGg9MAIWo

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2324
Size:	794.6 KB
ID:	2068770  

Last edited by FlyinTiger; 01-28-2015 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:55 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Here's one that I built from scrap aluminum a few weeks ago. Also, I had some scrap machined parts around not doing anything, so I used one of them on the bottom to clamp into my old faithful Black and Decker "Workmate", and two others that support the engine mounts. The plastic project box on the end contains the LiPo battery and voltage regulator for the ECU, and the receiver and on/off switch. The receiver battery is located on a piece of Velcro, where it is easily removed for use in the jet when testing is complete. I placed a 25 pound lead shot bag on the step to keep it from blowing over at full thrust. All of the engine specific equipment is removed after testing. The engine mount stays with the stand for the next use.

Name:	DSC06000.JPG
Views:	1891
Size:	532.1 KB
ID:	2068784   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06001.JPG
Views:	1705
Size:	579.7 KB
ID:	2068790   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05959.JPG
Views:	1240
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	2068792  

Last edited by Harley Condra; 01-29-2015 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:40 AM
Joe Westrich
My Feedback: (95)

My buddy makes this design. Its very prortable and uses roller bearings.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1630
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	2068814  
Old 01-29-2015, 11:28 AM
Harley Condra

That looks great.
Mine doesn't measure thrust but is small enough to store easily on a shelf or in a drawer, or ??...
Old 01-29-2015, 04:30 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Good thread and clever designs! Joe .. does your friend offer these for sale?

Last year at FLJ, the Dreamworks booth had one on display but I can't find anything on their website...

Dave
Old 01-30-2015, 03:19 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Dave the stand Joe W posted can be purchased. It is a nice design and very well made by our friend Joe Dirr.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:24 AM
Joe Dirr
My Feedback: (8)

Hi Dave,
Yes, I manufacture the Turbine Test Cells, which sell for an intro price of $349.00 US. I am planning to have several for sale at JOK 2015.
As my good friend Joe Westrich pointed out, the design is portable making it convenient to transport. It also has a proprietary linear bearing design that has far less friction than any commercial bearing, which translates in to a more accurate thrust reading. The digital scale is high quality and has a max thrust rating of 75lbs. However, I have load-tested the frame & linear bearings to 150lbs successfully.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be glad to assist.
Thanks Dave,
Joe Dirr

[email protected]

Name:	TTC 1.JPG
Views:	2050
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	2069073  
Old 01-30-2015, 09:30 AM
Jgwright

I have made my test cell so it has some sound deadening. I used a cabinet made for computer equipment and lined it with 1" sound absorbing foam that is fire resistant. I have a separate display for the load cell outside the box. The stand is a trolley on ball race wheels and is very sensitive. I have used it for measuring thrust of my own small turbines and recently ran an engine at 20 Kg thrust. The shelf that holds the trolley and its track is itself mounted on a drawer ball raced slide so I can slide the engine out when the door is open. The exhaust is turned 90 degrees up so the sound and smell is directed upwards. I used a 6 " double wall wood burner pipe for the exhaust and removed the inner liner and replaced it with perforated stainless steel sheet. This then acts like a silencer. With the door closed and the end panel on I can run an engine without ear protection and the sound readings at the house boundary were lower than the passing cars. The only p[roblem I have found is the huge amount of air needed for 20 Kg thrust! I had to remove the end panel as a 5" hole was starving the engine of air.

One benefit of the upwards angled exhaust is the thrust is directed down and forces the stand into the ground and does not require bags of sand to weigh down the Black and Decker workmate to stop it moving.

Cost was quite low as I already had many parts from my old test cell.

John

Name:	DSC_1600 small.jpg
Views:	1220
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	2069137   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1610 small.jpg
Views:	1371
Size:	538.1 KB
ID:	2069138  
Old 01-30-2015, 09:40 AM
Harley Condra

That's a nice test cell, but how do you store it when not in use?
Old 01-30-2015, 09:45 AM
Jgwright

Harley

It sits on top of a small drawer filing cabinet that I store metals in. I asked myself the same question when the cabinet arrived! It is not too heavy to lift up especially if the engine slide is removed, the front door is taken off and the end panel removed.

John
Old 01-31-2015, 10:48 AM
FlyinTiger
My Feedback: (45)

Lots of nice designs. Thanks for sharing.