Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Native Futaba 18MZ JetCat telemetry converter now available

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Native Futaba 18MZ JetCat telemetry converter now available

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 05:06 AM
ija

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Native Futaba 18MZ JetCat telemetry converter now available

Hi all,

Finally Futaba published their native JetCatV10 telemetry support and I adapted it to the SBUS2 converter of my own design. No more emulated current sensors to show values with wrong units but instead native real support. This is the way to use older non-telemetry enabled JetCat ECUs with Futaba SBUS2 telemetry.

This is currently the most compact device in markets and very easy to use:

1. Just plug it in the 18MZ SBUS2 port and Register the sensor. Similar way as Futaba's own telemetry sensors.
2. Plug the device to GSU connector and to receiver's SBUS2 connector
3. Define your own telemetry warnings - fex. fuel limits
go flying with ECU telemetry, see fuel consumption, see shutdown reasons, all.

Demonstration video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBF-kwBps0Q And user guide: http://www.jauho.fi/sbus2---jetcat/J...BUS2_guide.pdf

Send me a message if you are interested.

Cheers, Ilkka
Old 03-17-2015, 10:06 AM
ija

Sorry,

I didn't include any price information and it's of course rather interesting for everyone.... You can gain savings by buying more and save in postal cost.

USA prices:

1-2pcs 50USD
3-5pcs 40USD
6-9pcs 35USD

Priority letter postal fee is 16USD - unfortunately US postal service is not offering any followup service for these (atleast according to Finnish postal office) so you will be able to followup the package only until it departs Finland. Sending will be on recipient's responsibility. If you had any better postal options or wishes feel free to propose.

I have some amount of these ready to ship but not excessive amounts as this is really my hobby and not planning to make any real profit with these.

Regards, Ilkka
Old 03-17-2015, 11:13 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very cool! Do you have to register every function? I'm assuming yes? I've set up two planes so far, it wasn't exactly intuitive. Do you provide step by step instructions?

Have you measured to see if the fuel flow is accurate?

Any plans on doing this for Kingtech?
Old 03-17-2015, 11:29 AM
ija

Originally Posted by DrScoles
Very cool! Do you have to register every function? I'm assuming yes? I've set up two planes so far, it wasn't exactly intuitive. Do you provide step by step instructions?

Have you measured to see if the fuel flow is accurate?

Any plans on doing this for Kingtech?
Registering the sensor is very simple. The process is exactly the same as with any other Futaba sensor: Just plug the adapter and battery (with y-lead) in the 18MZ's SBUS2 connector and go to Sensor -menu. Then Push REGISTER button. All functions will appear to telemetry menu and no further actions are needed to register anything. Instructions are available in 18MZ manual and behind the link I included with the first post above.

With my engines fuel flow data is rather accurate and can be used to warn about fuel shortage. However you may need to adjust some jetcat ECU parameters to get it accurate - can't remember what those were but it was rather intuitive when I did it.

I don't have Kingtech turbines nor information about their ECU data connectivity so no plans to proceed there. I like Jetcat - newer had any problems

Ilkka
Old 03-17-2015, 11:57 AM
DrScoles

I'll take three do you take paypal?
Old 03-17-2015, 12:22 PM
ija

I'll take three do you take paypal?
Thanks! I can accept paypal money transfer. For three it would be 3x40 + 16 = 136USD with the proposed delivery method.

Please instruct what will be your preferred delivery method - referred priority postal method above is unfortunately not offering tracking so I'm only able to guarantee it leaves from Finland. You will be also responsible for local US custom/Tax oblications that might occur (I'm not aware of US customs practises)

Let's continue by email.

Ilkka
Old 03-19-2015, 04:51 PM
FlyUtah

Do you have a photo or video showing the Futaba 14SG functions?
Old 03-20-2015, 10:25 AM
ija

Originally Posted by FlyUtah
Do you have a photo or video showing the Futaba 14SG functions?
The older version of the jetcat adapter is ok for 14SG and you can see more information and some pics on the manual of it here: http://www.jauho.fi/sbus2---jetcat/J...BUS2_guide.pdf

14SG support relies on the emulation of other sensors as Futaba is not providing actual turbine support for it. Therefore sensor auto-registering to 14SG is not supported and you need to set correct sensors manually to the 14SG transmitter.

Ilkka
Old 03-22-2015, 02:28 PM
ija

Hi All,

The adapter is now temporarily sold out. If I have received the payment by the time of this post your order will be shipped soon.

Ilkka
Old 03-31-2015, 03:28 PM
ija

Hi,

Just wanted to remind you that the ECU connector cable MUST BE 1-to-1, ABSOLUTELY NO CROSSED CONNECTIONS!

Be careful, failure with the cable may cause permanent damage! The Picture below shows the right way:

JetCat original cable or the supplied one is the recommended solution.

Ilkka
Old 04-04-2015, 06:23 AM
DrScoles

Ilkka, Thanks so much for doing this and providing them to us! I got mine last night, took just a few minutes to set it up. Took much longer to get to the sbus cable under the equipment tray. I went through the start sequence on my P120 just to see all the numbers start spinning… So nice to get rid of the GSU. I think it may take 4-5 flights to calibrate the fuel flow stuff, even if its not spot on, it will be helpful. I will do near constant full throttle flights on the bobcat and then do some where I cruise around a lot, it creates a significant difference in time available. I've ran the bobcat out of gas a few times just because of throttle position.

I know you aren't doing this as a business venture, greatly appreciate you sharing your skills!
Old 04-04-2015, 12:01 PM
ija

Ilkka, Thanks so much for doing this and providing them to us! I got mine last night, took just a few minutes to set it up. Took much longer to get to the sbus cable under the equipment tray. I went through the start sequence on my P120 just to see all the numbers start spinning… So nice to get rid of the GSU. I think it may take 4-5 flights to calibrate the fuel flow stuff, even if its not spot on, it will be helpful. I will do near constant full throttle flights on the bobcat and then do some where I cruise around a lot, it creates a significant difference in time available. I've ran the bobcat out of gas a few times just because of throttle position.

I know you aren't doing this as a business venture, greatly appreciate you sharing your skills!
Thanks DrScoles! It's very nice to hear that people uses and benefits from my devices. Little Engineer inside me is very happy.

Finnish Postal service promises express letter to be delivered within 4-6 days to any location at US. Unfortunately this seems to be overly optimistic. In most occasions this seems to be the time required to get it to US and then USPS uses rather many days to deliver the "express" letter to the right town and street... Good news is that there seems to be working tracking also in US. I'm sorry for the slow deliveries - I already gave some angry feedback to Finnish postal service as their service fee is really not too cheap.

Anywya, ALL, My domain service provider have had major problems with their basic services and it seems that many of the emails got lost during last weeks. I reply to all of my emails relatively quickly so if you haven't got response from me within 2 days please always email again. I'm sorry for this but this was beyond my control.

AND... some amount of the JetCat - SBUS2 telemetry devices again available, if interested please pm me.

Cheers, Ilkka
Old 04-10-2015, 04:26 AM
ija

Hi All,

It seems that one rather rare use case was not noticed during testing... JetCatV10 sensor allocated to slot 18 (ie 18-31) won't work. This is due to very stupid problem while validating EEPROM correctness. I test "if (slot > 17)"... it should have been "if (slot > 18)". This causes sensor to return to default slot 8 if you selected slot 18 manually (8 may be in conflict with your other sensors so please check). This is not affecting to reliable functionality of the device if any other slot setting is used.

Slot 18 is however a slot that is not supported by JetCat or Robbe telemetry enabled turbine ECUs at all. Therefore autoregistering feature won't allocate this slot at all so if you did not use manual slot selection this problem is invisible for you. My version provides additional freedom for slot settings (vs actual JetCat) but the freedom was limited so that slot 18 cannot be the starting slot.

Regards, Ilkka

Last edited by ija; 04-10-2015 at 04:51 AM.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:33 AM
Reever45
My Feedback: (16)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ija

AND... some amount of the JetCat - SBUS2 telemetry devices again available, if interested please pm me.

Cheers, Ilkka
I tried to pm you unsure if it worked or not.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:18 AM
ija

Originally Posted by Reever45
I tried to pm you unsure if it worked or not.
It worked... I just responded to you.

cheers, ilkka
Old 04-10-2015, 06:01 PM
JustJets
My Feedback: (15)

Hello All,

Mine seems to work fine but I can not get the Voice portion of my 18Z to work corretley. The voice function will only issue one voice prompt and then fails to repeat any other data. The data itself seem to be working fine. All other telemetry plug ins work fine, I have disabled different vaitions of the other sensors to no avail. Items like GPS, Power box Telaconverters all work fine.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:34 PM
ija

Originally Posted by JustJets
Hello All,

Mine seems to work fine but I can not get the Voice portion of my 18Z to work corretley. The voice function will only issue one voice prompt and then fails to repeat any other data. The data itself seem to be working fine. All other telemetry plug ins work fine, I have disabled different vaitions of the other sensors to no avail. Items like GPS, Power box Telaconverters all work fine.
Damn Futaba I haven't tried voice notifications for JetCat telemetry yet and unable to give any solution ..However I have been testing Airspeed sensor view lately and it has an update problem; Nothing is updated on Telemetry slot view. Updating works only when the item is listed on Home2 view! Airspeed sensor and JetCat support were introduced lately so they might have something common: same bugs... It might be worth to try to select different JetCat items to Home2 view as it might change the situation. Just wild guess. Hopefully Futaba fixes this to the next firmware version and provides it soon!

Cheers, Ilkka
Old 04-12-2015, 04:38 AM
ija

Originally Posted by ija
It seems that one rather rare use case was not noticed during testing... JetCatV10 sensor allocated to slot 18 (ie 18-31) won't work.
This problem is now fixed. Also small update to HW included to improve operating point setting of opto-transistors in order to enable wider component variation without troubles.
All the adapters will be these new versions from now on and there are NO KNOWN problems with this version. (other than the obvious audio bugs in Futaba TX software)

Cheers, Ilkka
Old 04-13-2015, 04:58 AM
ija

Originally Posted by JustJets
Hello All,

Hi,

I played little bit with the system... Futaba transmitter firmware really seems to have a bug in JetCatv10 telemetry view. When you try to activate Speech via <Telemetry> menu's <JetCat V10(Fuel Consumed> -button it won't work.

BUT the reason why I didn't notice this problem personally earlier is that speech works well when activated via <Home2> -menu!

Just do the following ("Fuel Consumed" as an example):
1. Select <JetCat V10 "Fuel Consumed"> to be <Home 2> item under

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.