Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What air compressor do you guys use?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What air compressor do you guys use?

Old 04-09-2015, 06:53 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
You must have a dandy bike pump. I tried one of the Robart pumps when I put my first model with retracts together. I converted it to dual air tanks and the first try at filling them with the Robart pump convinced me something better was required for an FOG.....
I tried a little handheld pump too and came to the same conclusion you did. The floor pump I have has an integrated needle that I use to pressurize the system. It helps preventing leaks so the pump efficiency is much better.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:13 AM
LQUAN
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank Ts Stuff
We have tried a bunch of different ones and always return to this one at our shop......Gel cell is only good for 1-2 seasons but easily replaceable with a new battery from Tower or elsewhere......and you can charge your cell phone while you are pumping! ;-p

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Campbell-...Bt4BoCGqnw_wcB
Got this one from Walmart. The best one of out the previous 3 different brands. It has been 7 years. Replaced the gel 12V battery 3 times. The pump is still going strong. I use it for my warbird retracts and bicycles. I highly recommend this one.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:27 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by FalconWings
Here you go Terry, just did this last week. Im using my Hitec charger. Note, I am bypassing the internal circuit as Im not 100% sure of what it does. It may be a balancer, or a regulator.

Hey Falcon Wings, how or where did you get the bit to remove the four screws that hold the top on the battery? The slot in the one I have, have a six sided star with a tiny pin in the center, and the bits I have don't have the hole in them to clear the pin.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:56 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Originally Posted by Terry Holston
Hey Falcon Wings, how or where did you get the bit to remove the four screws that hold the top on the battery? The slot in the one I have, have a six sided star with a tiny pin in the center, and the bits I have don't have the hole in them to clear the pin.
Terry, it's a Torx T10H security bit. Not too hard to find but you can get away with the right size flathead or grind one down.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Remo...ith-a-Flathea/
Old 04-10-2015, 08:36 PM
Westwindpilot86

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just ordered my Sears compressor. I have been using a walmart slime compressor with no issue but decided to get a higher quality one. I will keep the walmart one as a backup.

I look forward to picking it up tomorrow and using it
Old 04-10-2015, 09:12 PM
FenderBean

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I just got a sears hand held one today since my old air pump is starting to go out, it is very strong and much less noise by far the best 100. Bucks I have spent, I recommend the battery charger combo.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:41 PM
Westwindpilot86

Fender, thats what I bought. I got the batt/charger combo. Going tomorrow to go pick it up. My slime one works well but I feel so ghetto at the field. lol
Old 04-11-2015, 08:28 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Holston
I was in a hurry, so I took a small drill bit and my dremel and milled out the pin. Then used a regular 6 pt star to take it out.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:16 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in a hurry, so I took a small drill bit and my dremel and milled out the pin. Then used a regular 6 pt star to take it out.
If you have a Harbor Freight, they sell the torx security bits.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:17 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderBean
I just got a sears hand held one today since my old air pump is starting to go out, it is very strong and much less noise by far the best 100. Bucks I have spent, I recommend the battery charger combo.
got my combo today too!!
Vin...
Old 04-11-2015, 08:07 PM
Westwindpilot86

Vincent,

Did you go to the Sears up by loop 101 and bell?

Steve
Old 04-12-2015, 03:00 AM
dfjdv

Sears 19V inflator, $59. You will have to buy the battery separately. The battery is interchangeable with their blower, so get one of those too. Works great.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:18 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dingo9882
How are you guys connecting the tubing to go from the pump to the retracts. It seems the tubing is not really compatible to hook up to the pump.
I just take the needle for the fpot ball fill. The long one and slide a peace of air line over it. The one on my craftman was a little small so a few drops if CA.

It's held on to 200 psi. I had to see if it could really pump that high. Lol
Old 04-12-2015, 04:27 AM
Vincent

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
I just take the needle for the fpot ball fill. The long one and slide a peace of air line over it. The one on my craftman was a little small so a few drops if CA.

It's held on to 200 psi. I had to see if it could really pump that high. Lol
Cut the end off the needle with your dremel just past those two little sideways holes so you have a clean exit for the air. It will work with the tubing slid over those holes but you will get lots of back pressure and the compressor gauge will spike up and not be accurate on its reading.

Steve...No I got free shipping with the combo order.

Vin...

Last edited by Vincent; 04-12-2015 at 04:31 AM.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:02 PM
Westwindpilot86

oh ok. I ordered it online from sears and then elected store pickup. They pull it from the shelf so no one else takes it before i can get there.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:39 AM
FalconWings

Hey guys quick update. Buy the Sears charger :-)

I charged my battery for the second time this weekend and I must have fried something internally. The battery charged ok, and it has power, but the circuit I bypassed during charging must have broken. It is porbably a regulator and it didn't like seeing power coming from the wrong side of the board.

Well I tried. Though im not 100% sure if the battery failed because of this, I can only imagine it is the reason. Going to Sears today to get a new battery and a charger. thought I'd let you know. I will take the existing battery out of the battery pack, store, and save for future use.

Sorry if I mislead you.

David
Old 04-15-2015, 06:08 AM
afterburner

They have the drill with the XCP/battery charger on sale for $99.00 so for about $40 more than just the battery and charger you get a drill and the better battery with the same charger. Only good if you need a drill.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:12 AM
FalconWings

Marty, we always need a new drill!! :-)

On a side note, I still use my dad's Craftsman drill which he bought in the mid to late 70's, before I was born. Still going strong.........
Old 04-15-2015, 06:26 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Hey guys quick update. Buy the Sears charger :-)

I charged my battery for the second time this weekend and I must have fried something internally. The battery charged ok, and it has power, but the circuit I bypassed during charging must have broken. It is porbably a regulator and it didn't like seeing power coming from the wrong side of the board.

Well I tried. Though im not 100% sure if the battery failed because of this, I can only imagine it is the reason. Going to Sears today to get a new battery and a charger. thought I'd let you know. I will take the existing battery out of the battery pack, store, and save for future use.

Sorry if I mislead you.

David
Thanks for the heads up FW, maybe it was a good thing I couldn't get the screws out, EH? LOL. Guess I'll get another drill. I need one to carry with me and I'll use the one I have at the workshop.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:31 AM
afterburner

I have three of the 19.2 C3 generation(two in my shop and one in the plane trailer) and they are pretty good. Not sure how long they'd last for commercial use but for home remodeling projects they've held up fine.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:20 AM
FalconWings

Yet another update. bought the charger and charged the aparent damaged battery. it still works good, so the problem must have been me soldering the charging leads to the wrong terminals.
Since I have a Craftsman charger now, I will not mess around trying to use my other charger anymore.

The only problems is that I now have two batteries, so I need to find a use for the second battery (portable shop vac here we come!!) :-)
Old 04-17-2015, 07:27 AM
afterburner

Yet another update. bought the charger and charged the aparent damaged battery. it still works good, so the problem must have been me soldering the charging leads to the wrong terminals.
Since I have a Craftsman charger now, I will not mess around trying to use my other charger anymore.

The only problems is that I now have two batteries, so I need to find a use for the second battery (portable shop vac here we come!!) :-)
I solved that a while ago. I bought another air compressor so one stays in the trailer with it's own battery and charger and the other in the shop.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:37 AM
FenderBean

hey for the guys that have the sears handheld one are you noticing any difference in PSI on the indicator and your air gauge in the jet? Mine seems to be off 20+ PSI even after I hit the calibaration. I had an error message on mine but it went away and I am thinking about returning mine and getting another. Has anyone noticed this?
Old 04-17-2015, 08:47 AM
Vincent

Originally Posted by FenderBean
hey for the guys that have the sears handheld one are you noticing any difference in PSI on the indicator and your air gauge in the jet? Mine seems to be off 20+ PSI even after I hit the calibaration. I had an error message on mine but it went away and I am thinking about returning mine and getting another. Has anyone noticed this?
What type of fitting are you using on the compressor to convert to the 1/8th size air line??
Old 04-17-2015, 09:07 AM
FenderBean

Just the needle looking thing you fill footballs and stuff with.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.