Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Elite Aerosports Shockwave build thread..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Elite Aerosports Shockwave build thread..

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 01:11 AM
ZivBit

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pjtrade
Ziv, I see the spot, how did you get a hole in there? Maybe a very long drill bit? like a 12" bit?
I used a 90 deg. arm drilling tool from Dremel, managed to get it inside and drill the hole.
Took some effort but it is worth the while.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:08 AM
lavi rider
My Feedback: (6)

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

In sake of safety it is most unwanted on drilling holes through the main spar of a wing especially in these high G capable models traveling in excess of 300 km/h , no matter how small the hole is , unless the manufacturer specifically allow it . Any deformation of the main spar is a weakening spot that might result in catastrophic results !!!! Beware . Although sometimes it does look really neat as far as the total looks of the rigging it is one practice one should totally avoid from doing .

Last edited by lavi rider; 09-06-2015 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:13 PM
ZivBit

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lavi rider
In sake of safety it is most unwanted on drilling holes through the main spar of a wing especially in these high G capable models traveling in excess of 300 km/h , no matter how small the hole is , unless the manufacturer specifically allow it . Any deformation of the main spar is a weakening spot that might result in catastrophic results !!!! Beware . Although sometimes it does look really neat as far as the total looks of the rigging it is one practice one should totally avoid from doing .
Peter
I think we all heard you the first time.
Point taken.

Ziv
Old 09-07-2015, 06:59 AM
pjtrade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Ziv, I did not think that would fit. I was looking at modifying some dentist tools to make that happen.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:22 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

holes are plenty big on the stock location.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-04 14.38.49.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	3.17 MB
ID:	2118795   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-04 19.19.41.jpg
Views:	839
Size:	4.82 MB
ID:	2118796   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-07 18.19.07.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	3.53 MB
ID:	2118797  
Old 09-07-2015, 05:03 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Scott , first flight on mine this weekend and your right that you better put a lot of expo in if you use 3/4 of and inch for throws on the ailerons. I had my dual rates set up for 1/2 an inch and its much happier there! Couple of things need clarification, the info page has some info in mm and some in decimal amounts, not a problem but it be nice to know if we are taking these measurements at the tip or the root of the control surface. The control horns on all the surfaces are to long and because of that you cant use any where near the full resolution of the servo! only exception to this was the flaps where it needs lots of servo travel to rig them the correct way. The holes in the wing at the stock location are big enough if you don't mind fishing for the air lines and leads, and you have to be careful that you don't kink the hard festo line or it will kink and pinch off the airflow to the gear. it would be nice to see some form of easy connector here. The recommended CG is spot on and the landing was good as it was a no wind day I used 45 degress of flaps because the 90 MM on the info sheet is measured from where? I checked two other shockwaves and one was using 50 degrees while another has 40 degrees. All in all very happy with it but just wanted to share a few grey areas .
Don
Old 09-07-2015, 05:29 PM
pjtrade

Thank you Ziv, looking fwd to trying it I just ordered one. A hole of this size would not compromise the strength at all. The benefit of cable management in the wings vs. the fuselage is far worth the extra work. This will be my second SW, an incredible sport jet. Always looking to make it better.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:26 PM
Jethead

Great work Ziv!