Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Sebart Mini Avanti w/ K45 build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Sebart Mini Avanti w/ K45 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 03:35 PM
Aussie1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bushong572
Does anyone have a stock decal sheet they would part with?

I can't help you with a sticker set, but was wondering if someone could post a full size plan of the wing fences, as I would like to try them out. I have a colour laser printer and make my own stickers using stick on decal gloss printing paper.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:35 AM
Skyrider71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default felt clunk

I wonder what is your opinion on using felt clunks. Some people say they loose little pieces of felt which can build up in the pump and engine. But when using an Intairco Mini Airtrap and an inline fuel filter, they will stop the little pieces of felt, no?

And what size hoppertank do most people use with a 45 N engine? Is the Intairco Mini big enough (around 50 ml) or better use a bigger one from 100 ml?

What is your experience with a normal metal clunk => does it pick up much air? How much air is there in the Intairco mini after a flight?
Old 05-24-2020, 06:42 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Im using felt clunks in both my main tank and self made header for my x45 powered Rebel hot. I now have 18 flights on it and motor runs perfectly in ALL weather conditions.
The following users liked this post:
Skyrider71 (05-24-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 06:48 PM
T_CAT

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

For the exposed portion of the elevator servo leads in the fuselage (before they go into the fiberglass tube to that runs at the top of the fuselage), is there a need to protect them from heat near the pipe? If so, what is the preferred method?
Old 05-28-2020, 12:28 AM
Bob_B

Manual suggests glueing your exstention End to the slot In the fuse. Pull the lead snug towards the radio compartment so wires cannot touch the outer wall of the pipe.

I did mine this way and same on the Rebel ( single wall) with zero issues

Last edited by Bob_B; 05-28-2020 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:18 AM
T_CAT

Excellent.Thank you, Bob. That's what I have done and I wanted to double check with you all that no additional precautions were needed.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:27 AM
Bob_B

It's all about air flow through the fuse, if you have good airflow you will be fine.
I use the Powerbox Wire as it is heat resistant.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:30 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

My Mini Avanti is just about ready, I mounted the new Xicoy X-45, and have test run and Taxied...
Now I just need to get out to the field.

Old 05-30-2020, 01:55 PM
Asif
My Feedback: (30)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I test flew my Mini Avanti with X45. I have been out twice now total of 4 flights so far. The CG was bang on, I used the ply template that Richard aka RCISFUN made... thanks Rich! The aircraft flies and lands beautifully. All measurements as per manual.
I am using low rates on aileron and that too is very quick but I like it as I have 30% expo. Aileron high rate is too high for my style of flying.
I am using low rates on elevator and the aircraft flies perfect but to make the aircraft flare, I switch to use high rates on elevator. The reason is my tank is CMJETS 1.3 litres and after 6 min of flight, I land with 2/3 fuel left, since the tank sits ahead of CG, it needs more elevator to do two point landing with the mains first.
Flaps are as per manual, I have no change in my elevator trim when I select takeoff or landing flaps, the aircraft does not pitch up or down.

This is my second Mini Avanti, I like it with X45 and way better oleos then the previous version. It's a great flying aircraft!!

Regards
Asif

Old 05-30-2020, 03:38 PM
emart

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You will enjoy it Rich

Ed

Old 05-30-2020, 03:47 PM
T_CAT

Originally Posted by Asif
I test flew my Mini Avanti with X45. I have been out twice now total of 4 flights so far. The CG was bang on, I used the ply template that Richard aka RCISFUN made... thanks Rich! The aircraft flies and lands beautifully. All measurements as per manual.
I am using low rates on aileron and that too is very quick but I like it as I have 30% expo. Aileron high rate is too high for my style of flying.
I am using low rates on elevator and the aircraft flies perfect but to make the aircraft flare, I switch to use high rates on elevator. The reason is my tank is CMJETS 1.3 litres and after 6 min of flight, I land with 2/3 fuel left, since the tank sits ahead of CG, it needs more elevator to do two point landing with the mains first.
Flaps are as per manual, I have no change in my elevator trim when I select takeoff or landing flaps, the aircraft does not pitch up or down.

This is my second Mini Avanti, I like it with X45 and way better oleos then the previous version. It's a great flying aircraft!!

Regards
Asif

It looks like you can move the tank further aft, no?
Old 05-30-2020, 03:48 PM
T_CAT

Looking awesome emart, Asif, and RCISFUN.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:51 PM
Asif

Originally Posted by T_CAT
It looks like you can move the tank further aft, no?
T_CAT, the ply that is visible at the aft is 1/2” plywood strip that I glued to the existing radio tray. The aircraft is balanced fine, just need to fly more per flight to burn fuel up. My timer is set for 6 min, will bump it to 8 min.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:04 PM
T_CAT

T_CAT, the ply that is visible at the aft is 1/2” plywood strip that I glued to the existing radio tray. The aircraft is balanced fine, just need to fly more per flight to burn fuel up. My timer is set for 6 min, will bump it to 8 min.
That makes sense. If I'm not mistaken, I believe I've seen some people hang the end of their tank off the aft of the end of the plywood tray, almost butt up against the turbine. I'm not sure if that's advised, but many would know much better than I. Hopefully someone can chime in about that. I have the exact same fuel tank, in the process of building the jet, and was planning to do what I stated if it is safe to do so, and if it allows me to place the tank in a more advantageous position.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:13 PM
RCISFUN

Asif, I am glad the plywood CG fixtures worked out for you., your model looks great!
Ed, can't wait to see you again, are you coming to Titusville in a couple of weeks for the Summer Edition of Oct Turbofest Jet Fun fly?
T Cat you will like this model!
Old 05-30-2020, 05:43 PM
T_CAT

Originally Posted by RCISFUN
Asif, I am glad the plywood CG fixtures worked out for you., your model looks great!
Ed, can't wait to see you again, are you coming to Titusville in a couple of weeks for the Summer Edition of Oct Turbofest Jet Fun fly?
T Cat you will like this model!
Thank you! I hope so. I purchased two Mini Avanti's because I love the way Avanti's fly, one to build as an EDF and the second with a Xicoy X45 turbine.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:36 PM
kohersh

..., since the tank sits ahead of CG, it needs more elevator to do two-point landing with the mains first.

I don't mean to come off negative- Your setup while honestly, a beautiful job that is really clean and very nice appears to be heavy for a micro jet AND it's the kind of heavy with everything totaling a very fwd moment. If you come out spot on with the cool CG fixtures, I'm guessing ballast in the tail? have you weighed her with min fuel? Was the gear up or down for the CG?

What is going on that you don't need trim with flaps? Is the gyro on hold? Any sizeable change to the configuration requires a trim change. I have 5 clicks on Flaps1 and 20clicks on Flaps2 (add 5 more if using 5mm crow).

Last edited by kohersh; 05-31-2020 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:40 PM
Asif

Hi
My Mini Avanti with X45, GPS, Igyro, voltage regulator, jeti switch with no fuel in the tank weighs 3.64kg (8.02 lbs) whereas my last Mini Avanti, with K45G2 weighed 4.36kg ( 9.61 lbs) with 1" of fuel (See post thread # 497 page 20) and 4.27 kg (9.41 lbs) no fuel in tank with full UAT. So mini current mini avanti is lighter compared to my previous one although I have more stuff in this aircraft, don't know how or why....maybe this version is lighter compared to the previous version. The K-45G3 ECU, pump and 3SLiFe battery might be more weight compared to X-45 ECU, Brushless pump and 2S LiPO. The few differences in this version compared to my previous one is that I am using customs size Powerbox Maxi servo leads that I make myself which are 30% lighter than a heavy duty ready made extension of similar length. I have very small Intairco itrap vs previous version had bigger UAT. Powerbox battery weighs 125grams and Jeti battery 138grams.
The aircraft is well balanced, Ive pull the aircraft 45 degree up and rolled 180 degree and aircraft maintains the flight heading without nose dropping, gyro is no active as yet. Ive done the test upwind and down wind. Ive also done a 45 degree left and right turn bank and the nose does not drop, which means CG is bang on!! I have 40% expo on elevator and that may be the reason I feel I am pulling elevator bit more elevator, although my elevator travel is also as per manual. I like the way it flies.
I don't have brakes as it is not mandatory in Canada to have brakes on turbine jets but I plan to install JP wheels and brakes soon.

Last edited by Asif; 05-31-2020 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:40 AM
kohersh

WOW. ok I am going to weigh mine again later. I bet that X45 is a lighter overall package. mine was 8lb also and look how different our setups are, lol. The brakes are just handy. I read that JP is doing the retracts/brakes for the new flexjet pro, and that those will be 2S ready. Wish ours were, could get rid of the regulators. Great choice on the JM dry break filler probe.

Hey, let's compare the distance/setup numbers with the Xicoy cg meter.

Last edited by kohersh; 06-01-2020 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:45 AM
Asif

I believe JP has V2 brake unit uses anything between 2S-6S as per their manual. I am using the Xicoy measurements from few year back. I see the difference in the measurement of nose. I measure all my jets to the tip of the nose. I place weights (if needed) as far forward as I can. I am also checked my CG with a ply fixture that was cut for me by RCISFUN (picture copied for his post #884).

Old 06-01-2020, 05:34 AM
kohersh

The measurements between the landing gears relative to the CG is what is relevant- except for the location of weight placement for CG correction. Measuring to the nose does nothing unless your weight is going there.
Regarding the brakes, it's the gear controller that I wish were 2S
I still LOVE the laser cut jig the guy in this thread made, a killer idea.
I would NEVER have believed that your plane was that light with all that stuff in it. Here are my weights from this morning.
Takeoff weight

Landing weight (remaining fuel from last flight, after 7 minutes)

Min fuel weight.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:43 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Just a thought on saving weight ...
Would a single (JP?) electric brake on the nose satisfy the AMA requirement, especially if you fly primarily from grass?
Old 06-01-2020, 07:59 AM
RCISFUN

Originally Posted by ltc
Just a thought on saving weight ...
Would a single (JP?) electric brake on the nose satisfy the AMA requirement, especially if you fly primarily from grass?
Remember the AMA does not require brakes per se,
"6. For RC fixed wing aircraft: With the exception of hand-launched aircraft which have no undercarriage and with a flight weight under 7.5 pounds wet, the model shall be able to come to a controlled stop on command with the engine at idle on a level hard surface."

How you accomplish this is up to you.... you can drop an anchor and it will fulfill the requirements...LOL
Old 06-01-2020, 09:18 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

LOL so yes, its required and if you can stop it with a nose brake only then that works.

I wouldn't suggest nose wheel only, sounds like a good way to dig in and flip but it's up to you
Old 06-02-2020, 04:51 AM
Gunther1

Default K45g3 pipe

Hi group,

I am just sorting out all the kit for my mini avanti build with k45g3.

Just a couple of queries, what is the minimum thrust tube ID and length needed for k45 please?

Also what is the correct spacing from the exit lip of the turbine nozzle to the start of the thrust tube (not including the bell mouth on the tube).

Thanks
Andy

Last edited by Gunther1; 06-02-2020 at 06:12 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.