Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Do you have a maximum air temp to fly your jets

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Do you have a maximum air temp to fly your jets

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 04:25 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do you have a maximum air temp to fly your jets

Here in Nicosia, Cyprus, the air temps are climbing. It is forecast to be between 36 & 39c for the next few days. July, August & September are very hot.
There is a noticeable drop in turbine power with all my turbines at these temps & my G-Booster 80 just flames out on takeoff at high temps.
Most of our jet guys stop flying jets & fly props for the summer.
I would like to know whether others who live in hot countries continue to fly jets in hot conditions, or have a break & fly something else?
Old 07-10-2015, 05:59 AM
arizcowboy
My Feedback: (14)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Still flying them in Phoenix , Az . All summer long ! Temp around 98- 105 F . We try to get out early and quit mid morning .
Old 07-10-2015, 06:01 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Its the same here in Texas for me as well, when it is hot there is a noticeable loss in power on mine as well. I still fly though, last month I attended the Hotter than Hell jet rally at bomber field, by Houston and it lived up to its name. It was very hot and Humid. The one thing I have heard multiple people advise to do when it is HOT is to go into the ECU and change the acceleration setting. Of course I had min set on fast, I was advised to set it to slow, I can tell you I have not had any problems with my engines running in the heat, ,Now sweat in my face,,,thats another story..
Old 07-10-2015, 06:02 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

High temps are harder on the pilot than the turbines lol.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:48 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Is it hot temps or humidity? I use kingtech and notice no power loss in high heat. However the jetcat I had was highly affective by weather.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:04 AM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hundreds of flights in the desert here at over 100 degrees F. Usually harder on me than the equipment.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:08 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Temperature limits me, not my engines.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:05 PM
jetmaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Full scale aviation , as in airline pilots , calculate altitude density into their power setting . Maybe one of them , and I know they're out there , can better speak to this .if I'm not mistaken , several years ago during a heat wave in the southwest , flights had to be cancelled because of its effect on performance .
Old 07-10-2015, 07:00 PM
josecilurzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our summer has temp around 38~40° C, and we flew our jetcat on jeta1 and diesel without any problem.

jose
Old 07-10-2015, 07:07 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Call your local airport to hear the automated weather report. It will state the Alt Density and you can compare that figure to your performance so over time you can track it then predict when its good to fly or not.

On one day the AD was well over 6000ft and I couldnt get a stupid micro heli to fly until I added packing tape to the trailing edge to increase the blade area. Were at 2240 ft ASL. So yes Ive seen it and figured it out that weather will definitely effect our models.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:53 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jetmaven
Full scale aviation , as in airline pilots , calculate altitude density into their power setting . Maybe one of them , and I know they're out there , can better speak to this .if I'm not mistaken , several years ago during a heat wave in the southwest , flights had to be cancelled because of its effect on performance .
Full scale aviation engines are limited by temperature / RPM's. Some of the older jet engines were also limited by EPR " Exhaust Pressure Ratio ". But with todays modern jet engines, computers do all of the calculations, I do not think that model jet aircraft are flying with the same computers as real life aircraft.

On a takeoff roll the crew will usually set the power levels to give them the max temperature for the engine / RPM and given weather conditions. Once again, this will most likely be all computer controlled. When I say computer controlled, the flight crew and push the power levers all the way forward, but the computers are in control and will only allow the engines to operate within the parameters for the given weather conditions.

Even though the engines may be developing their max power, because of outside temperature, runway temperatures, etc, the aircraft will just not perform to specs in hot air temps as compared to cold air temps. The aircraft will be looking at a much longer take-off roll.

I know that this info will not help you fellows much. But its a start and perhaps somebody else can pipe in that is more familiar with model jet engines.
In my career, I only had to deal with real life jet engines.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:22 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

our field is at 5400 ft on a 90 + deg day the density altitude is around 10000ft. I don't fly my real heavy wing loading jets when the temp is this high I fly my rookie and flash. Our north south runway is about 550ft long and it takes all of it to land.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:34 AM
Jim Cattanach

Originally Posted by raron455
Its the same here in Texas for me as well, when it is hot there is a noticeable loss in power on mine as well. I still fly though, last month I attended the Hotter than Hell jet rally at bomber field, by Houston and it lived up to its name. It was very hot and Humid. The one thing I have heard multiple people advise to do when it is HOT is to go into the ECU and change the acceleration setting. Of course I had min set on fast, I was advised to set it to slow, I can tell you I have not had any problems with my engines running in the heat, ,Now sweat in my face,,,thats another story..
Wish I could alter the acceleration delay setting on my G-Booster 80, but no such setting shows on the GSU. I think it must be in a hidden menu.
Went flying today & it was hot. Like others are saying, it is the person, rather than the model that suffers.
Feeling a bit crisp & dry.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:16 PM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

In South Texas around 9:30am it starts to burn on the neck and the sweat stings the eyes....

yay
Old 07-11-2015, 12:42 PM
jetmaven

Thank you Granpooba , that's well explained .