Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What options are there for a flameout alarm for version 6+ JetCat ECU and FASSTest?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What options are there for a flameout alarm for version 6+ JetCat ECU and FASSTest?

Old 10-14-2015, 12:20 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What options are there for a flameout alarm for version 6+ JetCat ECU and FASSTest?

What options are there for a flameout alarm for version 6 and up JeCat ECU and Futaba (FASSTest) telemetry?

Before our Jeti friends chime in I want a Jeti but not the current version so I am going futaba until the new dual band unit comes out and is well (user) tested. Thanks
Old 10-14-2015, 12:37 PM
gapellegrini

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very good product!!

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...ter-For-Jetcat
Old 10-14-2015, 12:45 PM
FenderBean

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

this is for the older style ecu and the below works with the newer style

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...utaba-Jeti-Mpx
Old 10-14-2015, 01:30 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderBean View Post

this is for the older style ecu and the below works with the newer style

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...utaba-Jeti-Mpx
Did Futaba fix the nomenclature for the Jetcat ECu's with the latest release? The Xicoy for the Xicoy ECU is all in temperature and the EGT works but the limits in the radio aren't great for a flameout alarm. I think it's like -20C to 200C.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	telemetry.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	2125367  
Old 10-14-2015, 01:52 PM
Rafale Sport

For Jetcat ECU v6 to v10 and T18MZ, look at this thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...hread-fix.html

Module compatible with the JetCat V10 sensor embedded with the Futaba T18 v2.51, The ECU parameter values are displayed with correct units (temp, voltage, RPM, etc.). Set an alarm on pump voltage for flame out alert.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:56 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Originally Posted by gapellegrini View Post
Thanks what kind of alarm do i get? Does it alarm on the turbine state? A buzzer or something? Does that depend on the transmitter type or the firmware version? I have a Robbe box BTW so I could try that out.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:53 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

How about a Jetibox Profi as a standalone ground telemetry unit and add an ECU interface module, Jeti Rx and perhaps a turbine MFlow sensor?
Then you have full Jeti telemetry and still keep your Futaba.

FWIW, I bought one of the first DC-16 and will buy the DC-24 sometime in Dec when it's released.
Jeti has had a pretty good record of performance and reliability IMHO.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:52 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The white smoke trail is usually a good alarm...

Unless you have a smoke system going! Lol!!!!
Old 10-15-2015, 03:36 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Personally, I consider a flameout alarm the most valuable of all telemetry data. It's usually impossible to hear a flame out with other turbines in the air and you don't always get or see a white smoke trail. The few extra seconds it might take to recognize a flameout without an alarm could easily make the difference between a successful or unsuccessful dead stick.

It's unfortunate the various turbine/radio manufacturers have so many different protocols, making it difficult to set up a flameout alarm for many turbine/radio combinations. I've only got it so far with my Kingtech/Xicoy and DX-18/TM1000 setup and I really like having it. I have the alarm set up to vibrate since it's also difficult to hear an aural alarm with other turbines running (and I don't like wearing an ear bud).

Craig
Old 10-15-2015, 04:25 AM
asimace

Originally Posted by Rafale Sport View Post
...Set an alarm on pump voltage for flame out alert.
Or set an alarm on RPM.

Mauri
Old 10-15-2015, 04:40 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Originally Posted by CraigG View Post
Personally, I consider a flameout alarm the most valuable of all telemetry data. It's usually impossible to hear a flame out with other turbines in the air and you don't always get or see a white smoke trail. The few extra seconds it might take to recognize a flameout without an alarm could easily make the difference between a successful or unsuccessful dead stick.

It's unfortunate the various turbine/radio manufacturers have so many different protocols, making it difficult to set up a flameout alarm for many turbine/radio combinations. I've only got it so far with my Kingtech/Xicoy and DX-18/TM1000 setup and I really like having it. I have the alarm set up to vibrate since it's also difficult to hear an aural alarm with other turbines running (and I don't like wearing an ear bud).

Craig
+1

Originally Posted by asimace View Post
Or set an alarm on RPM.

Mauri
Matt,

That's what I have done. ^^^^^

Although not a JetCat, (Xicoy adapter with Xicoy ECU), I have an alarm set on my 18MZ for RPM. Below 30K, it vibrates. I just set it up and haven't had a flameout, but it does vibrate during the start until it's above 30K, so I'm assuming it will work if the need arises.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:15 AM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

Default CB Electroniks telemetry unit

Matt, I have one of the CB Electronic telemetry units I will sell. It is a nice German made unit. I changed to Jeti already so if you want it just let me know. I will sell it pretty cheap since I have no use for it any longer. The link below shows the FEPC unit for futaba and you can read the manual on the web site as well so you can see how it works and the readouts you will see on the transmitter. If you are interested just send me an email [email protected]

Pictures of my unit with the instruction manual:

Site Link:
http://www.cb-elektronics.de/Index%20english.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1012151011.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	2125435   Click image for larger version

Name:	1012151005a.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	2125438  

Last edited by Gary Jefferson; 10-15-2015 at 05:31 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:31 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know what options Futaba has, but a cheap and simple method is to put a current sensor in the pump wire and use a low current (I use below 0.3amps) as the trigger for the flameout alarm. It will of course alarm when you shutdown the turbine but that's a minor price to pay.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:00 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryC View Post
I don't know what options Futaba has, but a cheap and simple method is to put a current sensor in the pump wire and use a low current (I use below 0.3amps) as the trigger for the flameout alarm. It will of course alarm when you shutdown the turbine but that's a minor price to pay.
The Spektrum TM1000 telemetry module comes with an "External Voltage" sensor (in addition to rx voltage), range 0-60v. Could that be wired into the turbine pump lead and an alarm set to "0" volts?
Old 10-16-2015, 05:03 AM
gapellegrini

Originally Posted by mr_matt View Post
Thanks what kind of alarm do i get? Does it alarm on the turbine state? A buzzer or something? Does that depend on the transmitter type or the firmware version? I have a Robbe box BTW so I could try that out.
On xicoy telemetry my alarm is on pump voltage. Works very well.

On Jetcat (CB) my alarm is on the fuel pump as well. Not so good. Some false alarms. The developer told me to put on RPM but I have not updated my Tx software so RPM won't work since is limited to 3000 I think. Probably the plane will crash before go below 3.000. We also discussed have the alarm on the turbine status field that shows stuff like fuel ramp , running, each of them a number. He thinks could work.

Gabriel

Last edited by gapellegrini; 10-16-2015 at 06:14 AM.