Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Old Jet A fuel.....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Old Jet A fuel.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 04:27 PM
ezflyr
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Jet A fuel.....

Hi All,

I haven't used my 5 gallon Jet A plastic fuel can in a couple of years. It's full of untreated (no algicide) Jet A which I will obviously discard and replace with fresh fuel. I also plan to replace all my fuel can filters, but I'm wondering what is the best way to rinse the inside of the can to be sure there are no contaminants?

Thanks,

John
Old 01-16-2016, 05:15 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jet A already supposed to be treated. I would just inspect the can and look for black material that's floating or settled on the bottom. If it's jet A I doubt there would be any algae.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:17 AM
highhorse

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Is there algae growing in the can? Just because it's possible doesn't mean it happened. If not, I certainly wouldn't worry about it.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:12 AM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best thing to wash it out with... Jet A.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:28 PM
highhorse

Originally Posted by DrV
Jet A already supposed to be treated. I would just inspect the can and look for black material that's floating or settled on the bottom. If it's jet A I doubt there would be any algae.
Sorry, but that just isn't true.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:36 PM
Skymac
My Feedback: (8)

I just emptied out my jersey, it's had a JetA/Mobil 1 batch mixed up in it since spring 2013. It came out perfectly fine and clean.. Right into my torpedo heater.. I wouldn't fly it even filtered just because l wouldn't want to risk what it could potentially do to the injectors, but as far as the can was concerned, it was gtg.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:46 PM
DrV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by highhorse
Sorry, but that just isn't true.

Please teach us.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:34 PM
highhorse

Originally Posted by DrV
Please teach us.
Teach you what? Prove a negative?

Around 40 years in aviation including an airframe mechanics license, selling jet fuel as a retailer, and burning tens of thousands of gallons per month in a variety of jets over the last 30+ years...it's common knowledge in those 3 facets of the industry that Jet-A isn't "supposed to be" treated with anti microbials.

I hope hope you didn't take the correction personally, it's just that your blanket statement doesn't, uhhhh, hold water :-)

(Get it? Water...doesn't hold water.....Ok, never mind. I won't try to make a living as a comedian :-)
Old 01-17-2016, 09:42 PM
denikena

I would just inspect the can and look for black material that's floating or settled on the bottom.

Last edited by denikena; 01-17-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:27 PM
ezflyr
My Feedback: (32)

Hi All,

The can is a typical 'blue' diesel storage container that you'd find at Home Depot or Lowes. The upper area above the fuel appears to be lighter blue than the area where the fuel is present. I poured some fuel into a clean glass jar and there is some particulate floating in the fuel. I guess I'm going to empty the container and then vigorously rinse it with fresh Jet A. If it appears not to clean up well, then I'll probably just buy a new jug!

Thanks,

John
Old 01-19-2016, 08:09 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I would not hesitate to use it if the fuel looks clean and is not contaminated. Our local fuel supplier has kero sitting for several years in the storage tank before its refilled.
Vin...
Old 01-19-2016, 08:17 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DrV
FBOs can buy JetA with or without prist and other additives. You can absolutely have microbial growth if water is also present.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:20 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skymac
I just emptied out my jersey, it's had a JetA/Mobil 1 batch mixed up in it since spring 2013. It came out perfectly fine and clean.. Right into my torpedo heater.. I wouldn't fly it even filtered just because l wouldn't want to risk what it could potentially do to the injectors, but as far as the can was concerned, it was gtg.
+1 don't run old JetA.. Its just not worth the risk.. the specific gravity can break down over time, and cause issues in some cases.. Perfect use for it to dump it in your jet heater.. two years ago I used some old JetA from the year prior.. the engine would not run as well as I liked.. I borrowed a fresh fuel for fillip, and problem solved.. since that time I never reuse last years fuel..