Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Guidance for installing turbine components

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Guidance for installing turbine components

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 11:02 AM
ljsoarinson
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Guidance for installing turbine components

I'm looking for tips and best practices on installing components for a turbine. The last one I installed was a JM VT-80, so only a fuel pump and ECU battery needed placing. My next install is JC Rabbit with solenoid valves, ECU, pump, battery, etc., going into an F-16.

There must be an existing article or thread out there. I haven't found it yet.

I found the links below from an older post but they don't seem to be working...
[h=2]RE: Anyone have install pics of a Skymaster..[/h]

Thanks for help.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:58 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Do you have a specific question your trying to find?
Old 01-18-2016, 02:22 PM
ljsoarinson

The Jet Central instructions are great with plumbing and electrical schematics. I found other info on high flow fuel systems at bvmjets.com and testing fuel systems at dreamworksrc.com. My main concern is avoiding RF interference. I’m using Futaba 2.4 and I know turbine manufacturers are making components better than past years with respect to RF.

I plan to keep the receiver toward the front. Any other good rules of thumb?
Old 01-18-2016, 02:28 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ljsoarinson
The Jet Central instructions are great with plumbing and electrical schematics. I found other info on high flow fuel systems at bvmjets.com and testing fuel systems at dreamworksrc.com. My main concern is avoiding RF interference. I’m using Futaba 2.4 and I know turbine manufacturers are making components better than past years with respect to RF.

I plan to keep the receiver toward the front. Any other good rules of thumb?
I go by the 12 in rule for receivers, I think running dual receivers in the nose one on each side is the best way to go for futaba guys. The biggest thing to keep clear of your receivers for me is the pump and ecu. I dont think the ECU would cause any problems but its normally close to the pump due to cable lengths. I have seen people with setups that have the receiver and pumps close together but I always go most conservative if I can. Hope this helps
Old 01-18-2016, 05:38 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

It can depend how the centre of gravity works out.

Nobody likes shovelling lead into a model & these components (particularly the header tank full of fuel,
ECU battery & pump) are quite heavy. Not sure how the Skymaster F-16 balances.

I try to keep all turbine wiring on one side of the model & radio wiring the other, receivers away from any carbon.

John.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:55 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For guidance, why not contact some experienced waiver holders in your area?
The AMA website has a list of turbine waiver holders for the entire USA, sorted by state. There are quite a few waiver holders in the Minneapolis area, and there are no less than 18 model clubs in that general area. That way you can see how others do it, and combine that with knowledge gained from other sources.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/MembersOnly/pdf/510-M.pdf

Last edited by Harley Condra; 01-19-2016 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:24 PM
ljsoarinson

Thanks guys, those are all great tips.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:15 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I try to place all my plumbing in the same area thats accessible.. I also have a 5 min rule.. I need to get to any component in 5 min, so I don't bury things under other things when able.

As far as antenna placement, one satellite of any radio brand should be in the nose.. the placement of the others is subjective and takes experimentation.

Engines need cool air and need to have outlet for it around the tail pipe, so let it breath.

stick your smoke stick out the back where if it drips, it won't wet the model inside.

If your ECU cuts off at an intermediate voltage, don't put a smoke pump or something like it on your turbine batt.. If your ECU doesn't cutoff once it runs, then a smoke pump on the batt is ok.(xicoy) for example..

Best advice: find some experienced jet guys and learn from them.. a lot of lessons are hard knocks.. a 30 cent part can cost you a 5000$ plane..
Old 01-20-2016, 07:01 AM
ljsoarinson

I know what you mean Goose, every detail matters. My first turbine flight included a flameout ten seconds after takeoff. The cause was a fuel fitting that let loose. Inspection by a seasoned jet flyer might have caught that, but then again this jet was built by a seasoned jet flyer. I bought it unflown and ready to go. It landed just fine, and since then I have learned that I am completely responsible for whatever I put in the air regardless of who has worked on it.

So I appreciate the instruction and advice. I’d rather learn from the experience of others than go through it myself!