Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Eurosport canard and aileron offset during take-off from grass?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Eurosport canard and aileron offset during take-off from grass?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 02:20 AM
Propellars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eurosport canard and aileron offset during take-off from grass?

Hi there.

I am having troubles taking off from a short grass field (100 meter/330 ft). I can't seem to get enough ground speed with my Eurosport and 14kg/32lbs turbine.
I am going to move CG backwards, mount larger nose wheel and tilt mains a bit forward, but I wonder if I should trim the canard and ailerons down a bit to increase lift and reduce grass friction.
Did you try that?
Old 03-27-2016, 02:43 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Are you trying to take off with the canards activated?
Is the grass damp/long at the moment?
The ES will take off at a very low ground speed, Who's gear? Does it sit slightly nose high on the ground?

Dave
Old 03-27-2016, 03:18 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I had no issues taking off on rough grass with a 25# thrust turbine with my CARF Eurosport. My CG was right where recommended. I'm guessing your nose strut may be too short causing a negative incidence on the ground. My canard was programmed to have about 5 mm of up whenever the gear was down. That helped with takeoffs and landings.
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	555555-R1-5.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	2154380  

Last edited by grbaker; 03-27-2016 at 03:23 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:29 AM
Propellars

Thanks for your feedback

Gear is Robart straight struts on main and nose.
Nose is already a bit high, and approx level when spring is compressed.
Canard is active, and throw is 32 mm (1-1/4') down at full elevator. Ailerons about 25 mm (1 inch) I recon.
Grass is long and the field is rough. The other guys at the club don't require much of the field.
My landing speed is quite slow, but take-off has always required much more speed.

My shortest take off is by holding full elevator until the nose lifts, and then lowering the elevator in order not to rotate. This gives the fastest acceleration, due to reduced drag, but I don't feel comfortable with this method.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:35 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

i didn't flew with the canards, but I used them for take-off and landings. They were preset so that when the gear was down, the canards were providing lift to raise the nose. Don't recall exactly how much, but would say maybe 10 degrees.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:21 PM
Propellars

Thanks Edgar, that's close to what I am doing now.
I will play a bit with lowering both ailerons and camard next time, and them see how it goes
Old 03-27-2016, 02:24 PM
mavrick
My Feedback: (1)

I fly off grass all the time, if your nose wheel is a bit soft you may have to put a length of fuel tubing inside the spring to firm it up. What the guys are saying about using the canards for take off is that you have your canards mixed in so as you have 8-10 mm on take off ( that means the rear of the canard is down 8-10 mm from the centre line on the fuz ) then after take off when you go to cruise the canards are back to neutral
Old 03-27-2016, 02:25 PM
Airman98
My Feedback: (9)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I set my canards up on the flap switch, I could then have 3 different neutral points. First setting was on the panel line for high speed flight and then about 15mm of up canard for slow flight and then a 30 mm setting for high alpha flight. And in your case this setting would really help with your rotation. For all 3 setting the canard still moves up and down with elevator input like normal. The flap switch only changes the neutral setting.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:26 PM
mavrick

As I said in my other post I fly of grass all the time with my Euro as airman has said mix it in with your flap switch that's what I have also done I notice that you have just joined RCU the simple answer is if you are not happy with it don't do it
Cheers
Mav
Old 03-28-2016, 12:19 AM
Propellars

Thank you for inputs

Maverick: is your canard then static at 10mm, or is it 10mm offset and still working with the ailerons?

Is CG always at 540 mm behind air intake?
Old 03-28-2016, 01:47 AM
mavrick

Hi Propellars.
You have your canards mixed in with your elevons for normal flight but you also have them mixed to your flap switch you can have the flap switch in what ever direction you prefer so say your switch is hard back for take off and after you have taken off and hit the retracts you can move the flap switch forward to the neutral position for flying and when you are setting up for landing you can use the same switch setting for landing it will lift the nose just right the Euro is a dream to fly and land. After you have gotten used to it you can set it up however you like, hope this helps you out. I have my flap switch set up the same with all my jets hard back for take off in the centre for cruise and full forward for landing
Cheers
Mav

Last edited by mavrick; 03-28-2016 at 01:52 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:18 AM
Propellars

Thanks Maveick. I will play with my setup next time