Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba 6014HS unlinked

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba 6014HS unlinked

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 08:09 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Futaba 6014HS unlinked

Has anyone heard of this before? A friend of mine had a 6014HS unlink, this is what happened. He had flown his Lightning a few days before and all was fine. He started it up taxed to the runway, applied brakes ran turbine up released brakes a little direction correction, went to rotate and nothing. The Jet went off the end of the runway at over 100 MPH. The weeds in the field stopped it after about 300 yds. The turbine was at full throttle and would not respond to a shut off command. He shut the radio off and the turbine kept running, then he turned the radio back on, the radio linked up and killed the turbine. Fail safe was set to shut the turbine off, was checked also if power was lost to receiver it also shuts off turbine. So in my opinion the receiver was the problem.

Last edited by aquaskiman; 05-13-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:38 PM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly the only issue I have seen with Futaba Rx's is when they were set-up without the two antennas being 90 degrees from each other. There was a local flyer at my field who was cursing his new Futaba radio, kept getting hit after hit, managed to get the plane down safe and he had the antennas at 180 degrees from each other. A while back a fellow RCU jet flyer experienced the same problem and posted it on RCU.

Not saying there couldn't have been another problem, but I've flown Futaba 2.4 since it came out and those are the only issues that I have seen first hand. I would be curious to see how the RX and it's respective antennas were set up in the plane.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:53 PM
aquaskiman

I fly with a 12Z and use the 6014HS and never a glitch. This jet in question has many trouble free flights on it with the receiver in the same place. I looked at the antennas and they were at 90 deg.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:29 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have never seen that on a Futaba Rx either, but I had an issue on a 6014 (can't remember if HS or not) where one of the antenna was broken inside the case at the connector which "snaps" into the board.

The 'unlinked' situation above sounds extremely strange; but you can't narrow it down to the Rx, if cycling power on the Tx "fixed" it. I would probably be wary of everything until I figured it out.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:59 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

If the turbine's failsafe was set up correctly and if the Txer signal failed or the Rxer did not receive the Txer's signal, then the failsafe should have activated. It may have later (out in the weeds) activated because the Txer was tuned off and then back on. Given the description provided, I doubt that the Txer failed.

You can test the Rxer's throttle output buy putting a Servo Tester on the Rxer's throttle output. Watch the resolution on the servo tester as you test the throttle, ... a lot.

To range check the Txer and Rxer combination, I would put the plane ~.6 miles down range and move it through various positions while having someone operate the Txer's controls. If the Rxer's throttle channel/servo test is good and the plane responds to all other controls during a full distance range check, then you got something else going on. Maybe test the batteries under load?
Old 05-13-2016, 02:00 PM
aquaskiman

The pilot of the plane has another radio and this was the last plane on this radio. So he is not going to use it again. It is a little concerning for those of us that use the 6014HS, but like I said I have never had a glitch with my Futaba 12Z, 6014HS receivers and I have many different jets.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:39 PM
aquaskiman

Originally Posted by Len Todd
If the turbine's failsafe was set up correctly and if the Txer signal failed or the Rxer did not receive the Txer's signal, then the failsafe should have activated. It may have later (out in the weeds) activated because the Txer was tuned off and then back on. Given the description provided, I doubt that the Txer failed.

You can test the Rxer's throttle output buy putting a Servo Tester on the Rxer's throttle output. Watch the resolution on the servo tester as you test the throttle, ... a lot.

To range check the Txer and Rxer combination, I would put the plane ~.6 miles down range and move it through various positions while having someone operate the Txer's controls. If the Rxer's throttle channel/servo test is good and the plane responds to all other controls during a full distance range check, then you got something else going on. Maybe test the batteries under load?
The fail safe was set correctly and tested before and after. The range test was tested before and after. So if the transmitter failed it should of shut the turbine down. It was not just the throttle that failed nothing worked tell the transmitter was turned back on.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:16 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aquaskiman
The pilot of the plane has another radio and this was the last plane on this radio. So he is not going to use it again. It is a little concerning for those of us that use the 6014HS, but like I said I have never had a glitch with my Futaba 12Z, 6014HS receivers and I have many different jets.
Good decision!
Old 05-13-2016, 04:25 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A bad receiver on/off switch would give you the same symptoms. Check the voltage drop across the switch using a voltmeter that can be loaded to .5 amp or one amp. Also a servo may have gone bad and loaded down the whole system. Dan
Old 05-13-2016, 04:35 PM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

After the takeoff run, at the end of the runway, did you check if other channels surfaces, especially elev would move?
Old 05-14-2016, 05:14 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Low Rxer battery voltage. Load test battery. What Type of battery? NiMHs are famous for false peaking.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:55 PM
aquaskiman

Originally Posted by Len Todd
Low Rxer battery voltage. Load test battery. What Type of battery? NiMHs are famous for false peaking.
batteries 3 2 RX and 1 ecu checked and tested ok
Old 05-16-2016, 01:42 PM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Sunspot activity or Flux Gate Capacitor break down! But on the serious side, I have been flying pretty much the same setup you described on all kinds of Jets and Big Bird stuff for as long as the 6014 series has been out and never had a problem that I couldn't trace back to something that I had overlooked in configuration. But I have learned to never say never in this hobby. I personally would change out the battery switch and receiver and replace with a new one.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:19 PM
arizcowboy
My Feedback: (14)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 6014 hs overheat and shut down jet while I was setting up a Como- Arf lightning . Was checking batteries etc and went in house came back out and everything was working . Switched out new receiver and a power box switch and put both new back in . Got four flights on new system , then was in kingman az on a hot summer day and went to start turbine and the jet receiver shut down again . A local dealer was there at the time and said receiver over heated ( I said they got that problem fixed years ago ) I took a leaf blower we had there and blew air across the receiver and it came on immediately. So I was told to check and see if it had a gold dot located by the antennas , it did not . Gold dot upgraded receiver . These two receivers were bought brand new , one tower other from chief , no dots . Sent in both receivers and told them if the problem . Sent new ones back and put back in jet , range tested and flew ( another hot day in az) guess what ? Three minutes into flight with jet almost over head , turbine shut down , jet pitched slightly nose down and scattered across desert at about 140 mph. Talked to a couple of rep and sent letter to Futuba and they said never heard of this receiver overheating , B S that's what the yellow dot was all about . Never heard a thing back from them . Terry
Old 05-20-2016, 07:15 PM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

From all the info given by the OP and assuming the correct model was chosen on the TX, it seems that the turbine was still seeing a command of full throttle given by the Rx. There was no power loss nor Rx blackout since the turbine continued to run at full throttle. All ECU will shut down if there is no power or no signal from the Rx. Seems it is the Rx at fault here.

Last edited by Ehab; 05-20-2016 at 07:17 PM.