Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Looking for an turbine-powered Mig-29. Who makes airframes?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Looking for an turbine-powered Mig-29. Who makes airframes?

Old 05-16-2016, 04:42 PM
mas3ydds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for an turbine-powered Mig-29. Who makes airframes?

Looking to build a turbine-powered Mig-29. What are my options as far as airframes go? Who makes them? Inside the US? Outside the US?

I know there is Skymaster.com. Looks nice, but I'm wondering what others are out there.

I want one that is a spot-on replica of the Mig-29 (preferably the Fulcrum-A. The Skymaster is a replica of the Fulcrum-C).

Any options?
Old 05-16-2016, 06:53 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

If you want the most scale it would be the fiberclassics/composite arf Mig 29 though it is no longer in production as far as I know. There are kits that pop up from time to time for sale.

Be prepared though, it is an extraordinary amount of money for the kit, detail packs, cockpit etc, it is a terribly engineered kit requiring a number of fixes, it takes a ridiculous amount of time to actually build it straight and true, it requires gobs of patience, there are not that many flying so finding people who can guide you is tough but in the end it is arguably the best Mig 29 out there.

There was one for sale not to long ago here on RCUniverse. The kits were $10,000 when they were available. The cockpit was around $1000, the detail package was $700 etc etc etc. They go for much less when they do pop up for sale on here. If you find one that is already built and built well it is probably worth it's weight in gold. I built one, it was a true exercise in patience!
Old 05-16-2016, 08:05 PM
mas3ydds

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix View Post
If you want the most scale it would be the fiberclassics/composite arf Mig 29 though it is no longer in production as far as I know. There are kits that pop up from time to time for sale.

Be prepared though, it is an extraordinary amount of money for the kit, detail packs, cockpit etc, it is a terribly engineered kit requiring a number of fixes, it takes a ridiculous amount of time to actually build it straight and true, it requires gobs of patience, there are not that many flying so finding people who can guide you is tough but in the end it is arguably the best Mig 29 out there.

There was one for sale not to long ago here on RCUniverse. The kits were $10,000 when they were available. The cockpit was around $1000, the detail package was $700 etc etc etc. They go for much less when they do pop up for sale on here. If you find one that is already built and built well it is probably worth it's weight in gold. I built one, it was a true exercise in patience!

Fiberglass/composite MiG ARF? Made by whom?
Old 05-16-2016, 08:27 PM
LGM Graphix

No, fiberclassics was the companies name. They then became composite arf and that is the current company name.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:35 PM
LGM Graphix

This is the thread I had on the one I built.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...arf-mig29.html
Old 05-17-2016, 07:17 AM
SMBJets

I've built the Skymaster Mig 29 early this year. I had some issues with the quality of the kit, some of which were fixed by Skymaster, but I'm extremely happy with the way it flies. There are a couple of good build threads on this kit which you'll find by searching on this site.

issues on mine were:
there was no reinforcement on the bottom of the fuse. I specifically requested this be done with carbon and it was not done. When the kit arrived there were cracks through the bottom of the fuse from the lack of reinforcement.
Servo boxes in the wings had to be redone. The fixing plates to affix the servo brackets to were in the wrong place, and by the time I dremelled them away to fit the recommended servo (JR 8411) there was not enough wood left and so I had to make up a new mounting block.
Landing gear was a pain to get working correctly, it features locking pins to lock the gear down, it took a friend and I 20 hours with a lathe to get the gear working reliably, even then, the gear can collapse with no air in the system.
I also went for the vectored thrust pipe. The first pipe, didn't fit together and components were different sizes. Skymaster sent me a new pipe which worked well.

Positives
Flies great, it's very stable and can be flown from slow to reasonably fast. Gives the mig "heavy"look in tight turns, but doesn't feel like it will bite.
its been a reliable airframe the last 2 months.

after all this, would I buy another? Yes but not for the money they're asking. In my opinion the kit isn't in the same category as other kits worth the same asking price.

I did want the Jetlegend kit, but they no longer make it no matter how many times I asked them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	2162967   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	2162968  
Old 05-17-2016, 08:05 AM
mas3ydds

The MiG 29 is still listed on Jetlegend's website. They don't make it any longer? Perhaps for the right price, they will?
Old 05-18-2016, 09:08 AM
SMBJets

Originally Posted by mas3ydds View Post
The MiG 29 is still listed on Jetlegend's website. They don't make it any longer? Perhaps for the right price, they will?
No I tried for 12 months, offered them more money, even offered to buy two, they wouldn't do it. Said they no longer had the moulds serviceable and were working on a new version, but wouldn't elaborate further.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:50 PM
stevekott

I have a Skymaster Mig-29 (it's my second.. don't ask) with thrust vectoring.

It is one of my favorite Jets. You can't go wrong. Order today! It took me 4 months to get it.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:38 PM
mas3ydds

Originally Posted by stevekott View Post
I have a Skymaster Mig-29 (it's my second.. don't ask) with thrust vectoring.

It is one of my favorite Jets. You can't go wrong. Order today! It took me 4 months to get it.
It looks like a nice jet. Really, the only problem with it (albeit a minor one) is that it's a Fulcrum-C, not the original Fulcrum-A. The Fulcrum-C has the larger, longer spine (i.e. extension behind the canopy) that extends further back on the fuselage and has a fairly significant impact on the appearance of the plane from
the side.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:13 PM
mas3ydds

Originally Posted by SMBJets View Post
I've built the Skymaster Mig 29 early this year. I had some issues with the quality of the kit, some of which were fixed by Skymaster, but I'm extremely happy with the way it flies. There are a couple of good build threads on this kit which you'll find by searching on this site.

issues on mine were:
there was no reinforcement on the bottom of the fuse. I specifically requested this be done with carbon and it was not done. When the kit arrived there were cracks through the bottom of the fuse from the lack of reinforcement.
Servo boxes in the wings had to be redone. The fixing plates to affix the servo brackets to were in the wrong place, and by the time I dremelled them away to fit the recommended servo (JR 8411) there was not enough wood left and so I had to make up a new mounting block.
Landing gear was a pain to get working correctly, it features locking pins to lock the gear down, it took a friend and I 20 hours with a lathe to get the gear working reliably, even then, the gear can collapse with no air in the system.
I also went for the vectored thrust pipe. The first pipe, didn't fit together and components were different sizes. Skymaster sent me a new pipe which worked well.

Positives
Flies great, it's very stable and can be flown from slow to reasonably fast. Gives the mig "heavy"look in tight turns, but doesn't feel like it will bite.
its been a reliable airframe the last 2 months.

after all this, would I buy another? Yes but not for the money they're asking. In my opinion the kit isn't in the same category as other kits worth the same asking price.

I did want the Jetlegend kit, but they no longer make it no matter how many times I asked them.

If I purchase just the gelfoat airframe, how much cutting do I have to do in order to build it? Does it come with a clear canopy? Landing gear doors cut out? Or do I have to purchase a more expensive pre-painted kit for that?
Old 05-22-2016, 07:48 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

my friend is selling a paractically new (built) MIG-29 from Skymaster with vector thrust.
contact me for details if interested.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:14 AM
vquick
My Feedback: (71)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the Skyaviation Mig-29 and here some pictures of the plane the plane is 108" long and 75" wingspan plane come with landing gear fuel tanks and all the hardware

Name:	mmexport1463926871648.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	2163619   Click image for larger version

Name:	mmexport1463926878506.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	2163620   Click image for larger version

Name:	mmexport1463926885453.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	2163621   Click image for larger version

Name:	mmexport1463926891865.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	2163622   Click image for larger version

Name:	mmexport1463926897365.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	2163623  
Old 05-22-2016, 12:08 PM
jan.z

Hi mas3ydds,
I have Mig 29 Skymaster for sell .......

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	249
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	2163640  

Last edited by jan.z; 05-22-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:38 AM
SMBJets

Originally Posted by mas3ydds View Post
If I purchase just the gelfoat airframe, how much cutting do I have to do in order to build it? Does it come with a clear canopy? Landing gear doors cut out? Or do I have to purchase a more expensive pre-painted kit for that?
I had mine as the pre painted kit, so I'm not sure how much work involved in the all white version, but having just prepped and painted a PC-21 into the new Australian scheme, I'm confident that you couldn't do all that work for the extra price they charge. I believe that the doors are cut out on the gelcoat kit, download the manual from SMs website or email them to find out.

Also, I'm not sure you could modify the SM model into the -A as there's a lot of structure in the spine behind the canopy, the formers in this area tie the wing mounts, turbine mount and front of the main gears together.