Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Working with plywood, HELP!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Working with plywood, HELP!

Old 08-18-2016, 12:06 PM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Working with plywood, HELP!

Currently I form all of my plywood pieces with my clamps & a Dremel tool, but I know there is a better way (& they look like I made them with a Dremel). Can anyone tell me the tools to research to produce factory looking wood pieces?
I see some guys making truly professional looking UAT holder etc, but I don't know how they do it. I'll attach some example pics.
thanks in advance, Jay
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	196
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	2177467   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	194
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	2177468  

Last edited by BlueBus320; 08-18-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:39 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I only know of three ways to do the parts shown in the left hand picture and they all take time and patience:
1) Laser cutter
2) Scroll saw
3) Spindle and stick sanders, files and Exacto knives with the miniature saw blades(http://www.micromark.com/no-15-blade...of-5,6792.html )

I built the following boat frame with a scroll saw, band saw and Ridgid horizontal belt and spindle sander as shown below. The end result was the boat shown at the bottom picture

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 08-18-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:56 PM
BlueBus320

That looks excellent Hydro junkey! I'll research all that you said. I'm assuming the rigid tool you posted the pic of is one of the tools mentioned.
thanks, Jay
Old 08-18-2016, 01:03 PM
BlueBus320

Have you seen any YouTube vids on producing that type of woodwork? I've searched, but no joy as of yet
Old 08-18-2016, 01:15 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by BlueBus320
That looks excellent Hydro junkey! I'll research all that you said. I'm assuming the rigid tool you posted the pic of is one of the tools mentioned.
thanks, Jay
Yes, it is. The reason I like this one is the belt unit can be removed and the sanding drums stored on the front installed to make it a spindle sander. In both configurations, the sanding head moves up/down around 1/2" so the sanding surface doesn't clog as fast. Not visible is a blank off plate that fills the area the belt drive sits in and the filler rings(shown on the left side, next to the 1/2" sleeve) fit in to to prevent parts from falling inside the unit. It's also equipped with a vacuum port to control sanding dust
I would recommend a variable speed 16" scroll saw and 14" band saw if you are looking to buy one as anything smaller tends to actually get in the way

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 08-18-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:50 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone here using some of the CNC routing tools
(e.g. https://www.inventables.com/technologies/x-carve)
for modeling purposes?

There seem to be several companies offering similar machines in the $1K to $2K range and look like they would be excellent for a lot of what we do. Would work for plywood (thicker than you can do with laser machines), fiberglass and even carbon fiber. I've seen some posts of folks doing carbon fiber parts while submerged in a 1/8 to 1/4" of water to control the unpleasant dust .. using a clever "swimming pool" to hold the part.

Would be nice if there were a community of like-minded users to join in our RC world..

btw, nice work, Hydro!

Dave

Last edited by ww2birds; 08-18-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:26 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by ww2birds
Anyone here using some of the CNC routing tools
(e.g. https://www.inventables.com/technologies/x-carve)
for modeling purposes?

There seem to be several companies offering similar machines in the $1K to $2K range and look like they would be excellent for a lot of what we do. Would work for plywood (thicker than you can do with laser machines), fiberglass and even carbon fiber. I've seen some posts of folks doing carbon fiber parts while submerged in a 1/8 to 1/4" of water to control the unpleasant dust .. using a clever "swimming pool" to hold the part.

Would be nice if there were a community of like-minded users to join in our RC world..

btw, nice work, Hydro!

Dave
I know Rockler Woodworking Supply carries the CNC machine you mentioned and I thought about mentioning it but decided against it. Like laser cutters, they are expensive and require a bit more than most have in regard to computer skills. I only mentioned lasercutters since they are better in doing the kind of work pictured than the router type machines due to the sharp corners shown.
As far as the boat goes, thanks guys. I only posted the pictures of it to show what can be done with the tools I mentioned. I can post pictures of others I'm working on when I get them done, if you want, even though it's off-topic. It may be a while though since my job keeps me hopping.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:54 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a local independent to laser cut your stuff, if you want pro looking parts.

TB
Old 08-19-2016, 04:38 AM
marc s

Hi cutters like laser or cnc however small and cheap need to be driven by code, if you are not relatively competent in Rhino or AutoCAD you have a long and potentially frustrating journey ahead.

Many years ago I did a build thread for the Skygate Hawk "virtual build thread', I made a lot of parts out of carbon plate or FR4 (G10) and a few ply parts, for this I used a Proxxon hand milling machine, they have simple 2 axis movement (by thumb wheels) if you draw out the lines it gives avery nice finish - that is provided most of the parts are small and have straight edges, curves are not possible. Other option is the Proxxon scroll saw, in fact all Proxxon tools are superb and well worth the investment.

marcs
Old 08-19-2016, 04:43 AM
marc s

Here are some of the items I mentioned.

marcs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	24320_lrg.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	2177524   Click image for larger version

Name:	27060_lrg.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	2177525   Click image for larger version

Name:	27094_lrg.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	2177526   Click image for larger version

Name:	27110_lrg.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	2177527   Click image for larger version

Name:	27172_lrg.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	2177528   Click image for larger version

Name:	28030_lrg.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	2177529   Click image for larger version

Name:	28060_lrg.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	2177530  
Old 08-19-2016, 04:46 AM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

You can get a lot cut by independents, like Laser Design Services (and others; I just am familiar with Bob) for what a laser or router costs. I'm still fumbling around trying to get a recycled CNC router (an old ISEL) up and running. It's not so much the hardware as it is a massive amount of time setting up the tooling path (drawing to CAM to Machine Code to machine via electronics compatible with stepper motors). There are places like Build Your CNC dot com that help for the "budget minded", however you're still looking at a chunk of experimental money.

Right now, I'm trying to learn Inventor and finish Mach 3 set-up using an old-fashioned HobbyCNC controller on top of an approximate 2 foot by 2 foot router bed. It's a whole hobby within a hobby and really distracts. Now, learning to draw in a program like Correl Draw, AutoCAD etc. where you can get a real vector based drawing out that you could send to someone with a machine would allow you the full creative ability without the investment in the mechanics. Of course that doesn't give you the immediate, unrestricted freedom either... That's about all I've got - a lot of spurts and starts and not hours at length to dedicate to setting it up, because of work and family. You know, the usual song and dance..
Old 08-19-2016, 05:15 AM
thunderchief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I built a cnc router a number of years ago and thus cut all my parts with it. Parts fit and look great but you have to know how to use a program like autoCAD or such. The drawings are then changed to gcode for the cutter.
Glenn
Old 08-25-2016, 05:23 AM
Hydro Junkie

Any updates? Just curious as to how this one worked out
Old 08-25-2016, 07:30 AM
BlueBus320

Nothing yet. I have a 2.5 Futura that I want to do the vectoring thrust on, so looking to skimp on every wood/carbon platform/support I make. It's a winter project though, & I may just pay a builder also, but if I make some really cool light stuff I'll post.
Jay
Old 09-14-2016, 07:07 PM
BlueBus320

Hey Marc S, have you ever worked with the "Proxxon Micro mill MF 70"? This is the one i'm thinking of ordering, but I'm having a hard time finding videos of it working with wood. I'm pretty sure that this is the type of machine that if you can draw it on the wood, carbon etc, then you can make it, correct? can it make perfect circles?
Thanks, Jay
Old 09-15-2016, 03:22 PM
stevekott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I draw out all of my previous parts on AutoCAD LT. It a 2d program that outputs a vector file as a .dxf file. Then I import the .dxf file into sheetCam which produces the GCode to drive an XY table with a water jet cutter I built a few years back for work.

The obvious disadvantage using a water jet is the parts are a little wet after cutting but they dry out beautifully. I cut with just water, no abrasives and can cut up to 1/4" plywood no problem.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:02 AM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

I'd love to see how that water jet cutter works on wood - the results/photos or any video you've got on it; quite interesting.

BlueBus - the mico mills don't give you the ability to cut perfect circles without an additional and usually expensive accessory. At least not by hand. They can be converted to CNC, but that isn't a simple nor quick task - just possible as it's been done numerous times. Same thing for the Harbor Freight mills; you can even get conversion kits with the motors and the hardware, just not all the electronics (drivers, computer, couple of different software packages, etc.). If your really interested in automatic/CNC on the cheap, I think one of the most friendly web sites is "builldyourcnc" dot com. Still not cheap...