Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Some info for those who like to charge PayPal Fee

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Some info for those who like to charge PayPal Fee

Old 09-02-2016, 08:11 PM
  #26  
Waco
My Feedback: (265)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: OH
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

people violate paypal rules all the time when they send payment as friends when it is for a sale item, do I care? No, its not my business and I don't stick my nose in where it don't belong, same as you should be doing.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:38 PM
  #27  
dubd
 
dubd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 4,313
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

This thread is an example of a bad use of the Internet, which is to try and shame someone because you don't agree with them. In fact, not only do you not agree with them, but you're wrong regarding the facts that you're shaming them about. Once again, it's *not* against any law to pass PayPal fees to a buyer. I'm going back to Facebook now.

Last edited by dubd; 09-02-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:18 AM
  #28  
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)
 
RCFlyerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: SWFL
Posts: 1,917
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

Sellers selling used stuff need to realize, as with Real Estate, car market, furniture, etc. The seller doesn't set the price. A seller can ask any price they want, but the buying market determines if it is a fair price on the market, and whether the item sells. Seller too high on price, item doesn't sell. So, those who are charging the 3% to sell their item may not sell it for the initial asking price. The seller eventually lowers the price to what the buying market is willing to pay, and already lost the precious 3% that the seller thought he was gettting. At that time, if the seller passes along the fee, the Buyer determined that the price of the item was worth the additional 3% and shipping for a total price of the item. Verses what they can buy that item locally.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 09-03-2016 at 05:31 AM.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:14 AM
  #29  
rgburrill
 
rgburrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dallas, Tx CT
Posts: 2,699
Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Default

For those who don't want to accept paying the PayPal fee, PayPal is an insurance for the buyer - it does nothing for the seller. And the person being insured always pays for the insurance. If you don't like USE YOUR CREDIT CARD.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:34 PM
  #30  
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)
 
wahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Steeler Nation
Posts: 599
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rgburrill View Post
For those who don't want to accept paying the PayPal fee, PayPal is an insurance for the buyer - it does nothing for the seller. And the person being insured always pays for the insurance. If you don't like USE YOUR CREDIT CARD.
I'll call a giant BS on this one...

If that were in fact true, then the three percent would be automatically added to the selling price for the buyer to cover.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:12 PM
  #31  
two dogs
My Feedback: (12)
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

this issue should be handled with negotiations between the parties......not as a whining post on RCU.....it is clear why not all of your transactions on RCU have a "GOOD" rating
Old 09-03-2016, 02:01 PM
  #32  
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)
 
Zeeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St George, Utah UT
Posts: 5,517
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by csandt051196 View Post
vquick


so this takes me to my current post "where have all the experts gone". Well i know our pay pal expert is still here and the people i would really like to hear from have left because of you and people like you.

bingo!
Old 09-03-2016, 07:59 PM
  #33  
J330
My Feedback: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 511
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

I factor 3% into my selling price, and sometimes I don't. The average sale I make is $100 each.
So 3% is not more than gas to run to the bank and cash a money order.
I like printing from Paypal, I get a discount that way on shipping.
People buy more things if you take Paypal.
When I'm a buyer, I like the protection to send it back if it's not as described.
That service and protection is worth $3 a sale to me.
Things like "I'll pay the fees" or "Free shipping" helps attract buyers.
No matter how you look at it as a seller, to have a marketplace here, instead of using ripoff fleabay fees on top of everything, you're way ahead.
Pay the 3% and stop living the life of a cheap guy.
It's not attractive to women, and it's not attractive to buyers.
But you do as you please, just makes my selling go faster.

Last edited by J330; 09-03-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:08 PM
  #34  
dubd
 
dubd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 4,313
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by J330 View Post
I factor 3% into my selling price, and sometimes I don't. The average sale I make is $100 each.
So 3% is not more than gas to run to the bank and cash a money order.
I like printing from Paypal, I get a discount that way on shipping.
People buy more things if you take Paypal.
When I'm a buyer, I like the protection to send it back if it's not as described.
That service and protection is worth $3 a sale to me.
Things like "I'll pay the fees" or "Free shipping" helps attract buyers.
No matter how you look at it as a seller, to have a marketplace here, instead of using ripoff fleabay fees on top of everything, you're way ahead.
Pay the 3% and stop living the life of a cheap guy.
It's not attractive to women, and it's not attractive to buyers.
But you do as you please, just makes my selling go faster.
From my experience most sellers are okay taking a hit with PayPal for a $100 item. It's the engines and airplanes that I've seen sellers push back because you're now taking about hundreds of dollars in fees. I typically will pay for big ticket items with a cashiers check so that the seller can maximize their sale.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:22 PM
  #35  
luge_racer
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 228
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

As a regular PayPal user, both buying, selling and accepting payment for business services, I will typically not buy from anyone who tacks on a 3% PayPal fee, nor will I send money as a gift unless I'm picking the item up personally. The 3% is a transaction fee, not an insurance fee; it's in line with similar fees for accepting credit cards, some are even higher (like AMEX).

I would also never charge a customer an extra 3%, for a transaction service that makes it significantly more convenient for me m where I get the funds virtually immediately. Even on a $1000 transaction it equates to $30, well worth not having to wait days, if not a week or more for a money order.

If you can't stand missing out on that 3% then factor it into your asking price.

Frank
Old 09-04-2016, 03:35 AM
  #36  
J330
My Feedback: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 511
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dubd View Post
I've seen sellers push back because you're now taking about hundreds of dollars in fees. I typically will pay for big ticket items with a cashiers check
At $30 per $1,000, I think $10,000 sales are rare. For me, that's a wire transfer only situation.
Maybe try Freshbooks for a month and see what happens? http://alexisgrant.com/2014/12/05/av...h-paypal-fees/
Old 09-04-2016, 08:14 AM
  #37  
dubd
 
dubd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 4,313
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by J330 View Post
At $30 per $1,000, I think $10,000 sales are rare. For me, that's a wire transfer only situation.
Maybe try Freshbooks for a month and see what happens? http://alexisgrant.com/2014/12/05/av...h-paypal-fees/
Interesting idea with Freshbooks. I don't have the data to say if a $10k sale is rare, but people are selling RTF planes through RCU and there are many $5k-8k ads listed. Also, there are a lot of turbine engines that are listed for $1500-3500.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:21 PM
  #38  
rgburrill
 
rgburrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dallas, Tx CT
Posts: 2,699
Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Default

PayPal cannot do a thing about this. They do not control the selling site, jsut where money passes through and then only soemtimes. They have no way of tracking if someone tacks on PayPal fees unless some chinsy proposed buyer wants to make a stick and send copies of PRIVATE MESSAGES, which, BTW, are controlled by copyright laws.

Like I said above, if you are too cheap to pay for your own insurance then use a credit card. Teh vast majority of the time that's what you pPayPal account is going to do anyway.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:05 PM
  #39  
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)
 
flyrcjets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Roseville CA
Posts: 677
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dubd View Post
This thread is an example of a bad use of the Internet, which is to try and shame someone because you don't agree with them. In fact, not only do you not agree with them, but you're wrong regarding the facts that you're shaming them about. Once again, it's *not* against any law to pass PayPal fees to a buyer. I'm going back to Facebook now.
I hear that. I just hope the OP of this thread also pays his taxes on all items sold during the year as that's law as well.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:29 PM
  #40  
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)
 
rhklenke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 5,988
Likes: 0
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by flyrcjets View Post
I hear that. I just hope the OP of this thread also pays his taxes on all items sold during the year as that's law as well.
Actually, you only have to pay taxes if you sell something for more than you paid for it. Generally, modelers are so cheap I am pleased to get 50 on the dollar when I sell stuff at swap meets!

Bob
Old 09-04-2016, 05:34 PM
  #41  
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)
 
dionysusbacchus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: McQueeney, TX
Posts: 2,490
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I don't buy from sellers that don't accept Paypal, (there is a jet right now that has not sold that I would buy right now if he accepted Paypal) if they require that I pay the fee then I will make a lower offer depending on what I think the value of the item is including the added 3%. I never charge a fee when accepting Paypal, the HUGE convenience it provides is well worth the fee.

So in the end I believe the fee has some deeper meaning for some folks, it's not about the money but a principal of some strange kind, it makes no sense. I've seen sellers lower the price of an item by hundreds even thousands of dollars but still refuse to pay a small fee to sell the item!
Old 09-04-2016, 06:23 PM
  #42  
J330
My Feedback: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 511
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Paypal issues me a 1099-K every year, makes tax filing easy.
I got an earned income credit living at home, it's in my favor for one more year.
If you created an account, you agreed to their terms and fees.

I guess I'm the only one making a profit reselling this stuff. More of a gouge are the shipping rates, but that's another thread.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.