Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bavarian Demon Cortex PRO is here!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bavarian Demon Cortex PRO is here!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 09:48 PM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rskiba
Danny,

Can you explain if this is correct please?

In this configuration, the two 2.4 Rx's have to fail before the 900 is invoked, correct? and the Jeti Tx can still keep track of which receivers is doing the "work"?

Thanks!
I am sure Danny will chime in ......meanwhile... YES the 2.4 receivers have to fail for the “backup” R900 to take over. Depending on how you have the announcement setup in your TX you will be informed (notified) that “Backup transmission is active” once the 2.4 recivers have failed and R900 has taken over...

Also please note that in the case of your setup if the 2.4 recivers fail you will loose the gyro control since R900 is directly connected to CB200.

If you prefer gyro control in the event of lose of 2.4 recivers... plug the R900 into port A of Cortex Pro and your second 2.4 recivers into SAT2 of the CB200. This way when R900 has taken over you will still have gyro control..

David
Old 09-11-2018, 04:21 AM
ERRC

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

https://scontent-arn.xx.fbcdn.net/v/...df&oe=5C293B5B

I am flying my jets with this setup, bringing it one step further.

Tested. Very satisfied. Already saved my SU25 when both 2,4 receivers Q-value went to 0% in a "polluted" area

EGIL
Old 09-11-2018, 04:27 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ERRC

Tested. Very satisfied. Already saved my SU25 when both 2,4 receivers Q-value went to 0% in a "polluted" area

EGIL
Nice and Ideal setup, unfortunately not possible with the current smaller CB200, hopefully the new CB2XX will be out before next season....
Old 09-11-2018, 04:40 AM
janmb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dansy

Nice and Ideal setup, unfortunately not possible with the current smaller CB200, hopefully the new CB2XX will be out before next season....
Agreed.

I feel there is a missing link between the CB200 and 400 here for sure. I have a lot of models that are good candidates for the CB200, but unfortunately that is not an option as long as it doesn't regulate voltage.

I very much hope Jeti releases something in between in the future. A CB200 size package with voltage regulation + third input - BEC outputs - the insane size - the rather high price tag.

As for Egil's config, I'm running a similar setup using rsat2. Since they don't have multiple exbus output you clearly have to give up something. I my case, that is having the backup 2.4 be stabilized. So I have only my primary rx through the cortex, the secondary and tertiary rxes directly to the CB400. Provides the same level of rx redundancy, but loses stabilization a little easier.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:56 AM
ERRC

After starting to use the RC-swiches (below) together with CB400, all light controllers, sequencers and other "boxes" are kicked out of my models, and setups are very clean.

Controls and power directly out of CB400. Finished !

Egil

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/dr-mad-t...___store=en_us

Last edited by ERRC; 09-11-2018 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:00 AM
janmb

I was thinking that too, but after starting to use the RC-swiches (below) together with CB400, all light controllers, sequencers and other "boxes" are kicked out of my models, and setups are very clean.

Controls and power directly out of CB400. Finished !

Egil
Definitely true, the only downside is that the CB400 is such an overkill both in price, size and weight for medium size models.

For example my A-10 couldn't fit one even if I wanted to. A CB200 will serve nicely there, but having to run an external BEC kinda defeats the purpose of redundant power inputs.

Jan
Old 09-11-2018, 05:49 AM
ERRC

EVERYTING is oversized in your cute little A-10 Jan

You should post a picture of it....

Egil
Old 09-11-2018, 09:11 AM
janmb

EVERYTING is oversized in your cute little A-10 Jan

You should post a picture of it....

Egil
Here are a few.

For those interested, there are TONS more at https://www.facebook.com/FreewingA10TurbineConversion/

CortexPro stabilized - obviously

Old 09-11-2018, 09:44 AM
LA jetguy

EGIL
Nice Setup.... wish those REX3's were FCC approved so we could use them in US.... we should be getting new design REX3's with FCC approval this year... Hopefully by then we can have CB2XX so we can use it like CB400

David
Old 09-11-2018, 11:17 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

What is the difference between REX3 and R3RSW?
Old 09-11-2018, 11:20 AM
LA jetguy

Originally Posted by tp777fo
What is the difference between REX3 and R3RSW?
R3RSW can be used as remote "switch"..... REX3 can not..
Old 09-12-2018, 05:29 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by LA jetguy
R3RSW can be used as remote "switch"..... REX3 can not..
But they also make a nice remote Switch with no antenna..... LOL
Old 09-12-2018, 06:50 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Danny should correct me if I am wrong but I think that another notable difference is that the R3RSW is not a "REX family" receiver, so it has slightly lower downlink power than the REX family. I've noticed more link alarms with the R3RSW than with the REX series for that reason .. even though the uplink, which determines controllability, is the same in both cases, as is the fundamental receiver sensitivity.

I really don't get the dual use of the R3RSW as an electronic switch. I thought it was a pretty cool feature and set up a few planes that way, but unlike the non-US RSW, the R3RSW consumes too much power to stay plugged in between flying sessions and if you forget to unplug it, you drain the batteries. The non-US version has a much smaller current draw like the magnetic switch and would be much nicer. So I no longer use the R3RSW as a switch.

Dave
Old 09-12-2018, 09:30 AM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

The reason the low power RC switches are not sold here is purely economic. Each version would have to be FCC’d separately at a cost of $9K-$11K each. So Jeti added the switch functionality to the R3.

Danny
Old 09-13-2018, 11:48 AM
ERRC

Originally Posted by ww2birds
Danny should correct me if I am wrong but I think that another notable difference is that the R3RSW is not a "REX family" receiver, so it has slightly lower downlink power than the REX family. I've noticed more link alarms with the R3RSW than with the REX series for that reason .. even though the uplink, which determines controllability, is the same in both cases, as is the fundamental receiver sensitivity.

I really don't get the dual use of the R3RSW as an electronic switch. I thought it was a pretty cool feature and set up a few planes that way, but unlike the non-US RSW, the R3RSW consumes too much power to stay plugged in between flying sessions and if you forget to unplug it, you drain the batteries. The non-US version has a much smaller current draw like the magnetic switch and would be much nicer. So I no longer use the R3RSW as a switch.

Dave
I am using your american R3RSW as switch in my models and not the european version, because it has far more range, and I do not have to go to the plane to switch it off. It never fails.

It is right that it uses more power, but I dont think that is a problem. I connect batteries in the morning, and disconnect them in the evening. Have even forgot them several days. Is it 20 mA in standby.....? That is many hours .

REX3 as primary and secondary receiver has several advantages. I can make 2 ExBus outputs, and even a Digital Input to check my fuel level in Preflight Check.

Egil
Old 09-13-2018, 11:56 AM
ERRC

EGIL
By the way......... What I forgot to mention is that in this setup, I have a very stable telemetry link. Seems like ALL THREE receivers provides telemetry back to my DC 24. I never fails.

And the extra power cable to CortexPro is no longer needed as the gyro now is powered from both Rx1 and Rx2 (CB400)

I have used this setup for a long time, and so far, I see no reason to change it.

Egil
Old 09-13-2018, 11:58 AM
ERRC

EGIL
By the way......... What I forgot to mention is that in this setup, I have a very stable telemetry link. Seems like ALL THREE receivers provides telemetry back to my DC 24.

And the extra power cable to CortexPro is no longer needed as the gyro now is powered from both Rx1 and Rx2 (CB400)

I have used this setup for a long time, and so far, I see no reason to change it.

Egil
Old 09-24-2018, 11:57 PM
DEMONjoe

The additional power cable is always needed !!! Even in this setup.
Every Rx port is made for 200mA (at least on the CB200, not sure about the 400).
2 REX receiver and the CORTEXpro my end up at 230-240mA. DANGER !
Please DO USE the additional cable as mentioned, at least until anything else is officially reported.

Edit: just realized you have a cable from the secondary receiver to Rx2, and the 900MHz rx on Ext1. Can the 400 switch between 3 receivers? That was new to me....
Still: the additional power cable is needed !

Last edited by DEMONjoe; 09-25-2018 at 03:16 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:35 AM
Dansy

Only the CB400 can handle with 3 RX directly at this time, they are working on a new CB2xx.....
Old 09-26-2018, 02:01 AM
ERRC

Originally Posted by DEMONjoe
The additional power cable is always needed !!! Even in this setup.
Every Rx port is made for 200mA (at least on the CB200, not sure about the 400).
2 REX receiver and the CORTEXpro my end up at 230-240mA. DANGER !
Please DO USE the additional cable as mentioned, at least until anything else is officially reported.

Edit: just realized you have a cable from the secondary receiver to Rx2, and the 900MHz rx on Ext1. Can the 400 switch between 3 receivers? That was new to me....
Still: the additional power cable is needed !
OK.

But where am I doing my mistake?

You say that 2 REX3 and CortexPro can end up at 240mA. They are powered from both Rx1 AND Rx2 on my CB400. That is 400mA..?

I have no problem adding extra power, but I did not see why... Please tell me what I do not see here.

I have also wondered ........ Are there no worries connected to the fact that you ask us to connect servo power to Rx power on CB400?

Egil
Old 09-26-2018, 03:02 AM
DEMONjoe

That is 400mA..?
This is the problem, it's not.
The 2 ports are separated by Jeti, as meant to carry one receiver each.
The CORTEX's power bus "overrides" this separation, which does not result in summing the 2 values up, but in the worst case it stays with 200mA, and then a diode can get shot. This happened before, so please stay safe and add this little cable.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:43 PM
skymaster68
My Feedback: (4)

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The CORTEX's power bus "overrides" this separation, which does not result in summing the 2 values up, but in the worst case it stays with 200mA, and then a diode can get shot. This happened before, so please stay safe and add this little cable.
Joe, I'm about to install a CB 200 with 2 Rex3 and a cortex pro, should I go the same way with this cable right?
Old 09-27-2018, 12:40 AM
DEMONjoe

Yes, definitely. As per the manual:

"Note for Jeti connection:
For Jeti integration and telemetry feedback from a suitable distribution box through the CORTEXpro (e.g. Jeti CentralBox, Emcotec DUPLEX-Edition,
etc.), the EX-bus protocol must be used!
The primary receiver must be connected to port B on the CORTEXpro, the secondary receiver to port A. Then connect output 6 to CB‘s Rx1 port, output
5 to Rx2. In addition, route a standard patch cable (signal line can stay) from any CB servo output port to port 4 on the CORTEXpro."

If you now want to use a 900MHz rx on top, pull the cable running to Rx2 on the CB out of port 5 on the CORTEXpro and plug it into your 900MHz rx. Done.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:39 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, definitely. As per the manual:

"Note for Jeti connection:
For Jeti integration and telemetry feedback from a suitable distribution box through the CORTEXpro (e.g. Jeti CentralBox, Emcotec DUPLEX-Edition,
etc.), the EX-bus protocol must be used!
The primary receiver must be connected to port B on the CORTEXpro, the secondary receiver to port A. Then connect output 6 to CB‘s Rx1 port, output
5 to Rx2. In addition, route a standard patch cable (signal line can stay) from any CB servo output port to port 4 on the CORTEXpro."

If you now want to use a 900MHz rx on top, pull the cable running to Rx2 on the CB out of port 5 on the CORTEXpro and plug it into your 900MHz rx. Done.
I am contemplating doing what you are speaking of and makes sense for the most part. Is there a diagram anywhere showing this setup? That would really help.

Thanks!

Dan
Old 09-27-2018, 07:55 AM
ERRC

I will.
Thanks

Egil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.