Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bavarian Demon Cortex PRO is here!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bavarian Demon Cortex PRO is here!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 06:48 AM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tp777fo
That was the first thing i tried. Remove gyro and gear stays put on power up.
Tom
Please call me 407-687-3126
Old 11-28-2016, 04:11 AM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket
Apologizes for the delay. I have a few airplanes waiting that need a mounting orientation change. The latest update we have from the factory is the software should be released within the next couple weeks.

Any more news - a month ago the s/w update was a couple of weeks away?

It's now been over 2 months since the issue was made public with no resolution available, even though it was promised in 'a few weeks'.

Paul
Old 11-28-2016, 09:18 AM
Bobneal1
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1
Old 11-28-2016, 02:01 PM
F1 Rocket

I'm told the SW should be released soon. In the mean time I have beta SW I can send to anyone needing it. Please email me at: [email protected].
Old 12-10-2016, 12:13 PM
JSF-TC

A word of caution with the Cortex Pro.

Due to the case and circuit board design, it is very easy to mis-pin the 3 connectors next to the bind socket.

Internally to the gyro, it appears that the +ve and -ve power lines are shared across all connectors, so by mis-pinning one of the connectors that are used to supply power to the gyro (such as when using a dual bus configuration from Jeti) you end up shorting out the power supply to the gyro.

I burned up and destroyed a Jeti CB200 by inadvertently mis-pinning the gyro. The CB200 showed that I drew over 28A and burned it out. It has taken me a while to figure out how I did it, but luckily I found it when I didn't have the CB200 powered up, otherwise the replacement CB200 would have suffered the same fate.

A simple design error that cost me a $200 CB200.

I would recommend that the case and/ or circuit board be redesigned to prevent a mis-pinning of the 3 sockets adjacent to the bind socket.

Photos attached.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1537.JPG
Views:	5593
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	2193052   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1536.JPG
Views:	5073
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	2193053  
Old 12-10-2016, 07:33 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Ouch! Thank you for posting this, I am glad I read it as I will be setting one up over the winter.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:02 PM
F1 Rocket

Setup software for the Cortex Pro is now available here:
http://www.bavariandemon.com/en/serv...ware-firmware/
Old 12-14-2016, 11:08 PM
captainjacobs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Setup software for the Cortex Pro is now available here:
http://www.bavariandemon.com/en/serv...ware-firmware/
Hi Danny,
Does this update will enable the CB200 (and telemetry sensors) to be visible again through the cortex pro ?
Old 12-15-2016, 04:33 AM
F1 Rocket

Originally Posted by captainjacobs
Hi Danny,
Does this update will enable the CB200 (and telemetry sensors) to be visible again through the cortex pro ?
Not at this time.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:44 AM
JSF-TC

I have found a way to get Jeti TM with a Cortex Pro at least as a work-around until the new s/w is available.

I'm using a CB200 with 2x R3/RSW receivers in Dual Path, originally with both receivers passing through the Cortex Pro.

I have now set it up where only RX1 is routed through the gyro and RX2 is connected directly to the CB.

On multiple system (TX + RX) power ups, it appears that Jeti defaults to RX1 as the primary receiver and that this source will then have the gyro inputs superimposed on the signals.

If the CB decides to switch to RX2, you will loose the gyro inputs, but that should be the only impact. Disconnecting RX1 proves that, and on reconnecting RX1, the system reverts to using it (with the gyro inputs). I'm not sure what the Jeti RX switching logic is (continually switching to the strongest signal or only on loss of signal) though.

May not be perfect but at least I have restored TM.

Paul
Old 12-15-2016, 08:40 AM
F1 Rocket

Originally Posted by JSF-TC
I have found a way to get Jeti TM with a Cortex Pro at least as a work-around until the new s/w is available.

I'm using a CB200 with 2x R3/RSW receivers in Dual Path, originally with both receivers passing through the Cortex Pro.

I have now set it up where only RX1 is routed through the gyro and RX2 is connected directly to the CB.

On multiple system (TX + RX) power ups, it appears that Jeti defaults to RX1 as the primary receiver and that this source will then have the gyro inputs superimposed on the signals.

If the CB decides to switch to RX2, you will loose the gyro inputs, but that should be the only impact. Disconnecting RX1 proves that, and on reconnecting RX1, the system reverts to using it (with the gyro inputs). I'm not sure what the Jeti RX switching logic is (continually switching to the strongest signal or only on loss of signal) though.

May not be perfect but at least I have restored TM.

Paul
There is an alternative:
If you connect 2 Rx to the CORTEXpro, then to the CB Rx inputs 1+2, all this via PPM, then you have the Ext port on Rx1 and CB available. Connect these two and the telemetry from the CB will be on the radio.
The Ext port in the CB must be configured as JetiBox mode.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:32 AM
AEROSHELDON

What exactly will this update do? Can I go ahead and program all my servos and match them, etc.... with the CB200 and then bust plug this in downstream with two wires and only have to tweak the Pro gyro then?

Last edited by AEROSHELDON; 12-21-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:25 AM
AEROSHELDON

Or just do what Danny says in post 61 for now and then have to switch later? Still not sure what the update will do.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:20 PM
F1 Rocket

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
What exactly will this update do? Can I go ahead and program all my servos and match them, etc.... with the CB200 and then bust plug this in downstream with two wires and only have to tweak the Pro gyro then?
The update in question will provide bidirectional communication through the Cortex Pro. This will enable telemetry feedback as well as connectivity to the Jeti Central Boxes. For now you can setup via PPM as I discribed previously or EX Bus using a Jeti REX type receiver. Either way allows you to pull telemetry data direct from the CB's.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:24 AM
captainjacobs

The update in question will provide bidirectional communication through the Cortex Pro. This will enable telemetry feedback as well as connectivity to the Jeti Central Boxes. For now you can setup via PPM as I discribed previously or EX Bus using a Jeti REX type receiver. Either way allows you to pull telemetry data direct from the CB's.
Hi Danny,
Any news how is running the beta software update now ?
Do you have a sw release date estimate ?
Still waiting..
Old 01-09-2017, 04:14 AM
F1 Rocket

Originally Posted by captainjacobs
Hi Danny,
Any news how is running the beta software update now ?
Do you have a sw release date estimate ?
Still waiting..
Cortex Pro software is released and available here: http://www.bavariandemon.com/en/serv...ware-firmware/
Old 01-09-2017, 04:36 AM
captainjacobs

Cortex Pro software is released and available here: http://www.bavariandemon.com/en/serv...ware-firmware/
Danny,
My mistake, I was wondering if update that will provide bidirectionnal communication through the cortexpro is going to be released soon...
Understood that beta tests was on the way.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:17 AM
DCGayhart
My Feedback: (22)

Just arrived from Esprit my new Cortex Pro 3 axis gyro. Very intuitive, when you first power it up and install the set-up plug the Cortex will identify your radio communication format. I’m using my Jeti DS-16 and Central Box 200 with two R3-RSW receivers in the EX-UDI mode (like JR X-bus) I think. The next step is to initialize the system by installing the setup plug before power-up. Move your control sticks according to the Quick setup guide. Cortex Pro can stabilize 16 separate channels plus 8 more un-stabilized for a total of 24 channels. The new PC interface is much simpler than the original. One thing I like is the graphic depiction of the gyro’s orientation in your plane. What you see is what you get, nice. I’ll try it after the maiden flight of my Yellow P-38.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:29 PM
JoeJr1485

Originally Posted by DCGayhart
Just arrived from Esprit my new Cortex Pro 3 axis gyro. Very intuitive, when you first power it up and install the set-up plug the Cortex will identify your radio communication format. I’m using my Jeti DS-16 and Central Box 200 with two R3-RSW receivers in the EX-UDI mode (like JR X-bus) I think. The next step is to initialize the system by installing the setup plug before power-up. Move your control sticks according to the Quick setup guide. Cortex Pro can stabilize 16 separate channels plus 8 more un-stabilized for a total of 24 channels. The new PC interface is much simpler than the original. One thing I like is the graphic depiction of the gyro’s orientation in your plane. What you see is what you get, nice. I’ll try it after the maiden flight of my Yellow P-38.
So I am taking it that the update come out to allow us Jeti users to connect our RXs straight to the Cortex Pro then to the CB200? If so I will finally place my order. If not I will wait.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:57 PM
DCGayhart
My Feedback: (22)

Originally Posted by JoeJr1485
So I am taking it that the update come out to allow us Jeti users to connect our RXs straight to the Cortex Pro then to the CB200? If so I will finally place my order. If not I will wait.
You are correct but I have not tried to access the CB200 via the device explorer thru the Cortex Pro. Earlier threads lead me to believe this is not yet possible. If this is true you will need to configure the CB200 prior to connecting the Cortex Pro in series. I'm going out of town for a couple of weeks and will try it when I return.

Last edited by DCGayhart; 01-13-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:09 PM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by DCGayhart
You are correct but I have not tried to access the CB200 via the device explorer thru the Cortex Pro. Earlier threads lead me to believe this is not yet possible. If this is true you will need to configure the CB200 prior to connecting the Cortex Pro in series. I'm going out of town for a couple of weeks and will try it when I return.
If you want to use a CB200 with cortex pro through ExBus connections, one of the receivers needs to be an REX receiver .

In that case you have to change the ext port of the CB200 as "Jetibox" and then connect the ext port of the CB200 to either E1 or E2 of the REX receiver... The REX receiver will be primary and the secondary receiver can be any other RX (usually R3)

David
Old 01-14-2017, 03:48 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LA jetguy
If you want to use a CB200 with cortex pro through ExBus connections, one of the receivers needs to be an REX receiver .

In that case you have to change the ext port of the CB200 as "Jetibox" and then connect the ext port of the CB200 to either E1 or E2 of the REX receiver... The REX receiver will be primary and the secondary receiver can be any other RX (usually R3)

David
So if I change one of my EX R3/RSW receivers with an EX R3 REX and switch the setting to "Jetibox", everything will work the same....and I should connect the Cortex Pro to the REX?

FYI, the Esprit website EX R3 REX description says in red letters: "This item not for use in the US and Canada..." What's up with that?

Craig
Old 01-14-2017, 05:20 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

The REX 3RX hasn't pass/tested by FCC....
Old 01-14-2017, 12:15 PM
JoeJr1485

My point taken. This is why I havent got one yet. When the pro first come out and was described and even shown in pictures which also shows on esprits website that you simply connect two RX3's to the pro then to the CB200. But it doesn't work like that. We have to use work arounds to get it to work.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:53 AM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigG
So if I change one of my EX R3/RSW receivers with an EX R3 REX and switch the setting to "Jetibox", everything will work the same....and I should connect the Cortex Pro to the REX?

FYI, the Esprit website EX R3 REX description says in red letters: "This item not for use in the US and Canada..." What's up with that?

Craig
REX3 is in not yet FCC approved... you can use an REX7 as your primary receiver

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.