Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bavarian Demon Cortex PRO is here!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bavarian Demon Cortex PRO is here!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 08:50 AM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by michelad
Just to be clear for spektrum you have first bind the Rx to your Tx. DONE
then you connect the rx to cortex with the wire loom. WHICH ONE GOES WHERE? easy to connect the wire loom to the cortex, but then which wire of the loom goes where on the receiver? Do I need to connect servos to cortex?
STEP 1: Then with the Tx turned On, power the rx and cortex, then insert the bind plug into the program port of the cortex to teach the cortex the signal input type. ( Blue light sequence)
once taught, remove battery from the rx but leave bind plug in the cortex.
Step 2: Power the rx again, Flashing Red light then Flashing white Light then Flashes Green and goes off, then with dual rates in high position Move Tx sticks in sequence per quick start guide to teach control input to Cortex. When complete,
Move gain channel switch from one side to other. LED flashes green rapidly. REMOVE bind plug from cortex power Rx off. Learning complete Adjust throws to suit and then teach gyro new values via step 2
If you are in North America, please give me a call. im certain we can get your issues solved.

Danny
AeroPanda
407-687-3126
Old 09-18-2020, 02:01 PM
michelad
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-18-2020, 03:19 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as I can tell it looks to be connected correctly ? How is the AUX channel configured in the transmitter ? A 3 position switch to give -100%, 0 and +100%? I assume you had the jumper installed when you powered up ? What exactly happens (servos bump, etc) ?

If you can't figure it out I'd suggest you take Danny up on his offer and give hm a call. He's probably forgotten more about the Cortex than I've ever knew and he can definitely hep get you sorted.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:59 PM
michelad
My Feedback: (10)

Thank you. I called Danny and after troubleshooting the unit, he asked me to return it to him and he will replace it under warranty.
I really appreciated his assistance, and very good service.
This is great!
Thank you to everyone.
Michel
Old 10-03-2020, 07:46 PM
skunkwurk
My Feedback: (18)

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a 3D / high-alpha setup question. If you have dual-rates and plan to use high-rates only for 3D / high-alpha flying, do you teach the cortex stick inputs on your high-rate setting? I would presume so, that way the cortex has access to the full-range of travel, but I'm worried about it being too sensitive when on bank 1. I intend to use bank 1 for basic flying only and bank2 for 3D / high-alpha flying. If so, perhaps I adjust (down) the gain settings in the s/w for bank 1? I'd like to hear how you guys are addressing this. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by skunkwurk; 10-03-2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:40 PM
nightctman
My Feedback: (4)

From what I know, the manual states to do the teach in on your High rates. I have been using the Cortex Pro on a HSD 105mm F-16, HSD Turbine L-39 and a SAB Lizzard EDF that I am now in the process of converting to turbine. Never had any issues with the Cortex being two sensitive that way. I think your telling the gyro what the max throws are so that it does not overdrive them causing damage etc.

Matthew
Old 10-04-2020, 02:53 AM
F1 Rocket

Originally Posted by skunkwurk
I have a 3D / high-alpha setup question. If you have dual-rates and plan to use high-rates only for 3D / high-alpha flying, do you teach the cortex stick inputs on your high-rate setting? I would presume so, that way the cortex has access to the full-range of travel, but I'm worried about it being too sensitive when on bank 1. I intend to use bank 1 for basic flying only and bank2 for 3D / high-alpha flying. If so, perhaps I adjust (down) the gain settings in the s/w for bank 1? I'd like to hear how you guys are addressing this. Thanks in advance.
Always teach the stick movement at high rate. You can then adjust your rates as needed. Inflight gain settings are a function of airspeed not rate.
Old 10-04-2020, 04:43 AM
skunkwurk

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket
Always teach the stick movement at high rate. You can then adjust your rates as needed. Inflight gain settings are a function of airspeed not rate.
Thanks, Danny. I will do that. This plane has large control surfaces and large amounts of throw, it worried me that it would oscillate at a much slower speed.

One more serial question, when setup for serial input and output, how do you assign the gain control channel in the cortex? Setting the three position switch for bank1, off and bank2 was part of the stick input process, but I did not see anything for gain. When using the loom there is the gray cable for this, but I’m not using the loom and did not see how to teach the gain channel.

Old 10-04-2020, 05:21 AM
skunkwurk

I just re-read the test/setup process and I believe we need to use the three position switch for this. But just to confirm, to start it is advised to set endpoint/travel of the three position switch to ~25% and test each bank in flight? Then subsequently come back to increase or decrease the travel to hard-set /adjust the master gain accordingly? Is that accurate?

If so, I suppose I could also set a knob as the trim adjustment for the 3P switch to perform the oscillation test in flight, then come back to set manually the 3P switch travel. Does that sound right?

thanks for the support!

Last edited by skunkwurk; 10-04-2020 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:51 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

What radio system?
Old 10-04-2020, 06:02 AM
skunkwurk

Futaba 18mz w/2x 7008sb rxs using sbus for serial dual-inputs into the cortex.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:22 AM
Bob_B

The futaba Gyro menu does not work well for airplanes. There is a program mix listed in this thread that works really well your gear channel changes the rates between high and low. And then you can use another switch to turn the Gyro on and off and then a slider or knob to increase or decrease the rates until you find the sweet spot spot
Old 10-04-2020, 02:10 PM
skunkwurk

Thanks, Bob. I'm thinking of setting up a logical switch where depending on the flight condition & gyro state, I should be able to set a specific rate for the surfaces with a desired expo. Example, if in flight condition w/out gyro (off) I'll have a specific expo % and rate, but if in flight condition and in bank 1, I'll have less expo with the same rate. I'll also set a knob for the initial flights in order to establish a gain % that feels best. Looking forward to playing around with it.

Last edited by skunkwurk; 10-04-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:13 PM
Bob_B

Thats just not necessary. Set your normal expo values and just test fly and adjust to suit. Play with stick priority to fine tune.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:59 PM
skunkwurk

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Thats just not necessary. Set your normal expo values and just test fly and adjust to suit. Play with stick priority to fine tune.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably try it as you suggest and take it from there. I have been studying the effects of expo relative to gyro gain on power box gyros for some time. I'm curious to test the cortex gyro to perform similar testing. I have determined that I prefer more expo when the gyro is off then when it is active, but perhaps stick priority may suffice. Take care!

Last edited by skunkwurk; 10-04-2020 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:37 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

They all interact, just find out what works for you and yes, you generally need less expo with the gyro on.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:57 AM
FlyBig Electric

Sorry if I missed it here but can someone tell me about the setup on a Futaba 18sz? I have my Cortex setup on a three position switch with an off, on, on. I have 15% and 35% setup and I only get two different color lights. Red when off and the same color when on at 15% or 35%. I also want to know how I can have the AFR setting of at least -35 when the Cortex is in the off position. I have the AFR all the way back to -15 for the "on" channels.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:10 AM
Bob_B

Go to posts 800-803 in this thread. Dan has a great Futaba setup that I have programmed on a couple of Futuba radios now.

I made a sheet that takes you through the Tx programming steps. I can post that tonight.

Last edited by Bob_B; 10-15-2020 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:38 PM
nightctman
My Feedback: (4)

Default Not an expert, but its how I have it etc.

Have the Cortex Pro setup on a Futaba 16SZ Transmitter. Have been using it in a few different jets. I do use the gyro setup screen in the transmitter. I assign the gyro to a three position switch and then have 50% which gives me the red light and the gyro is off and then I use -35 and -25 for dampening. Pretty sure anything over 50% gives you heading hold which I don't currently use. Never hooked it up to the computer and it has been working well for me.
Help this helps someone,

Matthew
Old 10-18-2020, 04:02 PM
Bob_B

Here is the sheet for the steps.
The advantage of this setup that Dan Avilla posted, is that you can tune the gyro gain with a slider and you turn the the gain off with a switch so you can trim the airplane prior to using the gyro and should the gyro work loose (I have yet to that happen) you can turn the gyro off.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Futaba Cortex Pro Mix setup.pdf (202.3 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by Bob_B; 10-19-2020 at 01:41 AM.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:59 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Cortex pro Initialization problem

I have been using cortex and cortex Pro's for years with no problems. I set up a new Ultra Bandit with a new pro. Intermittently it will not initialize . I have went through the teaching process and still have the same problem. When it will not initialize I get a white flashing light but when you move the plane the gyro is working. Thanks Dan Avilla
Old 10-22-2020, 05:33 PM
F1 Rocket

Originally Posted by DAN AVILLA
I have been using cortex and cortex Pro's for years with no problems. I set up a new Ultra Bandit with a new pro. Intermittently it will not initialize . I have went through the teaching process and still have the same problem. When it will not initialize I get a white flashing light but when you move the plane the gyro is working. Thanks Dan Avilla
Most likely a trim setting has changed or is changing. Two of the most common causes are nose wheel steering trim changes (if you are running the nose wheel through the gyro) and elevator trim changes as a result of different flap settings. If for example you teach the gyro with the flaps up and no elevator trim compensation, then power up the airplane with the flaps down and a fair amount down elevator trim compensation. Reteaching the stick programming resets the trim neutrals in the gyro but if the trim changes it may still not initialize.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:58 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

That just might be the problem thanks. Their is a lot of elevator trim with the flaps down. So what you are saying is I need to make sure the flaps are up during power up. Dan
Old 10-23-2020, 02:25 AM
Bob_B

Originally Posted by DAN AVILLA
That just might be the problem thanks. Their is a lot of elevator trim with the flaps down. So what you are saying is I need to make sure the flaps are up during power up. Dan
Yes! Ive had that happen to me once.
Old 11-04-2020, 05:23 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello everyone,

Im looking to setup my Jeti CB 400 (2.4/2.4/900Mhz) with my Cortex Pro.
I think I understand that the serial inputs can be used a little different than the "instructions".
I initially had the two serial inputs 1,2 in from r3 and out 1,2 to the CB.

Id like to have the CB able to receive the 2nd R3 single if the first failed and or the cortex failed. However will the cortex pro send signal (corrected inputs) even without an R3 signal from receiver 1 if receiver 1 did not have any signal? This happens with the new Jeti receivers that have a gyro function unless you adjust things in the CB or R3.

I would plan the R3 (1) through the CP, then R3(2) directly to Rx2 on the CB and then R900Mhz to the Rx3 spot.

Anyone ( I think Daniel ?) already doing it this way? OR am I too worried about it and should just run 1 and 2 through the CP as in the instructions?

Thanks for any advice.
Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.