Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Introducing the Top RC Model Odyssey - New sport jet - build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Introducing the Top RC Model Odyssey - New sport jet - build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 01:25 AM
Spikebotties

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JP retract - Main wing modification

I've got JP retracts that I want to fit, but I saw that the wheel mount's location is very close to the edge of the mounting piece in the wing.
How did you modify your wing to accommodate these JP's and also to ensure that it keeps it strength?
Old 08-11-2022, 02:20 AM
Spikebotties

Can you share some pictures of how you'd modified the main wings to fix the JP retracts. My retracts fixing holes are sitting right on the edge of the mounting plates.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:22 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

3 mm carbon fiber plate is your friend
Old 08-11-2022, 11:08 AM
JKEpps
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by RCISFUN
3 mm carbon fiber plate is your friend
Hey Rich! Long time no talk too! Not since the Formost 120/150 bashing days!
Old 09-07-2022, 07:59 PM
gawlevi
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For those wondering about the turnbuckle style pushrods, they are 4-40 titanium 2 1/2" length and using DuBro heavy duty ball links on both ends. the pushrods are hangar 9 titanium pro links "HAN3552"
Old 11-13-2022, 01:56 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two odyssey's with Demon Cortex gyros which work fine. I obtained another Odyssey & fitted a new Demon Cortex. This Cortex is set like the others at 60% rate setting. However, the ailerons & elevators hardly move when testing the action. Even at 100% there is hardly any movement. The rudder movement is ok. I have reset the gyro a number of times with no improvement.
Not being computer savvy, I hesitate to try & alter settings that way if it can be avoided.
Old 11-13-2022, 05:18 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

I would be talking to Danny at Aeropanda..

With the gyro OFF completely, the aileron behave the same as the other jets? Travel and Expo are the same?

In my mind either, either something is different or maybe the Cortex is defective (always a tiny possibility)
Old 11-14-2022, 01:56 AM
Jim Cattanach

I had no luck trying to download a driver using the instructions on the six part guide on You Tube. I did however come across this link that not only downloads the software, but also the driver. I post it if others are having similar problems.

https://bavariandemon-cortex.software.informer.com/
Old 11-14-2022, 03:59 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Cattanach
I had no luck trying to download a driver using the instructions on the six part guide on You Tube. I did however come across this link that not only downloads the software, but also the driver. I post it if others are having similar problems.

https://bavariandemon-cortex.software.informer.com/
‘LOL your google power is not very strong…..sorry couldn’t resist….

Here the link also the latest firmware is 2.0 make sure you update them to that…..it’s like most site under support

https://www.bavariandemon.com/en/support/firmware/

https://www.bavariandemon.com/en/support/software/
Old 11-14-2022, 08:15 AM
Jim Cattanach

Thanks. I upped the aileron & elevator gains by two points & the surfaces respond to the same movement as my two other models. I will fly tomorrow & fine tune everything.
Old 01-15-2024, 03:28 PM
gringotuerto

Does anybody know if a flap->ele mix is required to keep the plane trimmed with the manual-recommended flap throw of 60mm? I saw description earlier on this thread about landing in crow configuration. That is interesting, but for right now I mean just 60mm flaps without any aileron crow....do you still need down ele or not?
Old 01-16-2024, 12:38 AM
Daveeast

Easiest way to find out is to fly it, with a trim buddy helping you. Crow works well on the Oddi.
Old 01-16-2024, 03:41 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

What radio do you have?
Old 02-04-2024, 02:04 PM
gringotuerto

Default Flap->ele mix

Originally Posted by gringotuerto
Does anybody know if a flap->ele mix is required to keep the plane trimmed with the manual-recommended flap throw of 60mm? I saw description earlier on this thread about landing in crow configuration. That is interesting, but for right now I mean just 60mm flaps without any aileron crow....do you still need down ele or not?
Now I have flown it, so here is what I found. Yes, a significant down ele is needed with full flaps, something like 14%-15%. I ended up setting mine at 15% because I like a little down during landing.

Another tip is that without flaps, it does not need up elevator versus the horizontal stab (with CG set at 210mm). It is fine flush with the hstab or even a tad down. I noticed this not only on my plane, but on some videos on youtube, so I don't think it is just a CG error particular to my plane.
Old 02-10-2024, 11:06 AM
gringotuerto

Originally Posted by Swissy
...whilst talking about:
On the maiden we discovered that the nose gear did not retract completely at the first attempt. On the ground everything worked flawlessly. Don't know if the springs of the main gear cover are ajusted to strongly. Together with te air flow in flight it is probably to much for the controller.
I have got the first edition of it, the black one and there the indicated max. voltage is 8.4 V. I would have a LiIon Battery 3S with 9.9V but wouldn't like to try this without your advice as it could fry the unit...
What are your experiences with the gear?
Thank you, Daniel
I flew mine last weekend for the first time, and had exactly the same issue. I have never seen it hang up on the ground, it works perfectly. But in 3 flights, the nosegear halted all 3 times. My guess is similar to yours, I thought the wind on the gear door was enough to stall the motor (when added to the spring force). How did you fix it? I'm looking at options, but it doesn't seem very easy to access anything up there.
Old 02-10-2024, 03:06 PM
Sparhawk

Get a xicoy gear controller. Problem solved.
Old 02-10-2024, 03:26 PM
gringotuerto

OK I found the problem, it had nothing to do with the strength of the retract motor, or the spring being too strong. It was the opposite - the spring is not strong enough to hold the door wide open. The door can flap around, and the side of the strut can hang up on the edge of the gear door. These Electron retracts seem solid, but they also have some square edges. One face hits the edge of the gear door square-on, and so it doesn't take much overlap for it to hang up. I solved this by mounting a small "cow-catcher" on the back of the wheel. This pushes the door out of the way, so it can't get caught. It works perfectly, picture attached.

Old 02-12-2024, 03:22 PM
timLQ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smoke Tank

Does anyone have a picture of their smoke tank mounted with the 2 stock fuel tanks?