Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Anyone have a Turbine ME-163 on this site? I got some questions

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Anyone have a Turbine ME-163 on this site? I got some questions

Old 10-31-2020, 06:44 PM
Rebel Flyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, with no brakes... You can't put brakes on a skid
Old 11-01-2020, 05:35 AM
gonzalobures

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Well it really has brakes......friction causes the speed to be bled out really quickly. I land it in grass as the full size one was kanded on.

Video of the ME 163B 1st flight and mine on a turbine model also. The quality of the video is not great,but its the only one that has been made.

Old 11-01-2020, 07:29 AM
dw_crash
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by gonzalobures View Post
Well it really has brakes......friction causes the speed to be bled out really quickly. I land it in grass as the full size one was kanded on.

Video of the ME 163B 1st flight and mine on a turbine model also. The quality of the video is not great,but its the only one that has been made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B08_XSuKxzI
Great plane. Flies very very....good job. Saitta plane with which turbine?
Old 11-01-2020, 07:56 AM
gonzalobures

DW Crash, thanks for your comments. Really appreciate your view.

In the video it has a Jet Central SuperBee 14 lbs of thrust. The turbine is installed at midship, right on the CG, instead of the nose. I like planes with a pilot and canopy. In order to do that I installed the turbine midship right under the access hatch you can see in the photo.

After many flights with the SuperBee, I got an excellent deal on a Jet Central Rabbitt with 18.5 lbs of thrust. The difference in power was noticeable. Much more speed and authority at take off and climbing. Also in flight and vertical manuavers have incredible height and energy.

Besides, remember the ME 163B is a tail dragger. Jets do not like take dragger configuration for take off. ME 262's were initially tail draggers and were quickly changed to a three wheel configuration due to take off wandering. The only directional authority while speed is developed is the tail wheel. The rudder is basically ineffective the 1st 5 -7 seconds since little air is passing thru to give it authority. That is why my friend and Turbine mentor, Juan Garcia, holds the plane while the turbine spolls up.

The model is flying excellent after 120+ flights and it is in a tie for favorite model with my Horten 229.

Last edited by gonzalobures; 11-01-2020 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:34 AM
dw_crash

Default Ho-229

Originally Posted by gonzalobures View Post
DW Crash, thanks for your comments. Really appreciate your view.

In the video it has a Jet Central SuperBee 14 lbs of thrust. The turbine is installed at midship, right on the CG, instead of the nose. I like planes with a pilot and canopy. In order to do that I installed the turbine midship right under the access hatch you can see in the photo.

After many flights with the SuperBee, I got an excellent deal on a Jet Central Rabbitt with 18.5 lbs of thrust. The difference in power was noticeable. Much more speed and authority at take off and climbing. Also in flight and vertical manuavers have incredible height and energy.

Besides, remember the ME 163B is a tail dragger. Jets do not like take dragger configuration for take off. ME 262's were initially tail draggers and were quickly changed to a three wheel configuration due to take off wandering. The only directional authority while speed is developed is the tail wheel. The rudder is basically ineffective the 1st 5 -7 seconds since little air is passing thru to give it authority. That is why my friend and Turbine mentor, Juan Garcia, holds the plane while the turbine spolls up.

The model is flying excellent after 120+ flights and it is in a tie for favorite model with my Horten 229.
Tell more on your HO-229. That is a fascinating plane....love to do one.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:37 AM
dw_crash

gonzalobures

Did you build the ME-163B wings with the leading edge slots? Plans to do that are all that is keeping me from building my kit I got from Joe. It has to have the slots. I had one of the Brian Taylor 60" ones and the slots made a difference. The ARF was the same size without slots and did not handle right. Hence, when I do a big one with turbine it needs the slots.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:40 AM
dw_crash

gonzalobures

you added flaps to the Komet, how did you deal with pitch changes when you deploy? Or, are the split and just drag brakes?

DW_CRASH
Old 11-02-2020, 07:31 AM
gonzalobures

DW I did not build in the wings the slats. I did install a fence fence in the wing lead edge right in the line were the elevons start. I did this to direct the air flow at slow speeds thru the elevons. They do a fanstactic job.

I also installed Vortex generators in the wing lead edge between the wing tip and the fence.This vortex generators are excellent to increase lift in the area behind them and so tip stalls are very improbable at slow speeds. I instaled the Vortex generators after the maiden flight and after a very strong snap during take off which would have destroyed any airplane, Due to the very fast roll rate of the ME 163B, I was able to complete the roll which the snap had initieted and continue the take off. This occured at a height of not more than 4 feet. The snap occured due to a high up elevon input in take off at a not so fast speed. This was with the original Super Bee turbine.

The flaps are located in the exact place as the full size plane. Thet are alos of the exact dimension. No mix for elevon is required when deployed at mid throttle to low. Not made for full throttle deployment in the full size plane either.

Any more questions I will answer for you. Love this plane and the way it looks and flies. It has won three Jet contests in my club mainly due to the "weirdness" of the plane and it Take off and landing process. It also flies superb and it will never, never, never even if you try to do it, spin.

These are photos of both features Fence and Vortex Generators

Right wing Fence and Vortex generators

Lefty Wing Fence and Vortex Generators

Left wing Flap, located in the exact position and size of full scale ME 163B. Near the lead edge ids the servo hatch for access.

Right wing Flap, located in the exact position and size of full scale ME 163B
:

Last edited by gonzalobures; 11-02-2020 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:44 AM
gonzalobures

DW, as for the Horten 229, its 82" of wingspan and flies great. Its a Gary Hethcoat model kit. I have become a good friend of Gary and he has the kit in production now. Its a short kit, but of excellent quality. The plans are extraordinarily details, the instructions are very complete including photos, and the fiberglass fuselage is of #1 quality.

In my blog in RCGroups https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=824913, I have a short story on it.Including photos , videos, etc In the Blog I also include some of my German RC planes. I also have other models from other nations including US. But German WWII planes are my favorite.

I have included videos from YouTube of this excellent, beutiful, extraordinary, awesome plane. Guess you notice i love it.

Horten 229 taxing after 2nd flight:

Horten 229 full 2nd flight:

Horten 229 retracts test:

Old 11-02-2020, 08:07 AM
gonzalobures

Some Photos of the Horten 229:

Horten 229 at Borinquen RC Club, Toa Baja, PR

Underside of the Horten 229. Looks great in the air.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:27 AM
dw_crash

gonzalobures

Thanks for the info on the H0-229. It looks great.....flies great.
dw_crash
Old 07-29-2021, 06:30 AM
hetzer

Thats my favorite airplane and it is nice to see a flying one. On cults there is a printable version but I dont want to spend time and energy before seeing a successful flight of her.