Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Powerbox batteries

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Powerbox batteries

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 08:56 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts
Default New Powerbox batteries

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]New energy for the best of models - with the new PowerPak range! PowerBox-Systems presents the next generation of PowerBox Battery series.

The PowerPak series boasts a whole array of new and innovative features. Various versions of thePowerPak are available: PRO and ECO, and each as an 8.4V pack for receiver power supplies, and a12.6V pack for turbine batteries.

The ECO version is fitted with an integral fully-featured balancer circuit and a charge socket. PowerPak ECO batteries can be charged using any suitable LiPo / Li-Ion charger.

Like all PowerBox Battery types, the PRO version features a fully integrated charge circuit and balancer unit. To charge these packs all you need is to connect the integral charge socket to a 110 V / 220 V mains PSU or a 12 V car adapter. Battery voltage, battery current and charge time are constantly monitored by the integral electronics, completely eliminating the possibility of operating errors.
The internal voltage monitor circuit indicates the battery’s state of charge using the integral LED, or an external plug-in LED.

Every version of the PowerPak is fitted inside a robust case, and is supplied complete with a standardised mounting frame.

All our battery packs are subject to a certified production process, including legally prescribed certification in accordance with UN38.3. It is therefore possible to ship these items.

[TABLE="width: 560"]
[TR]
[TD]Battery type[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]PowerPak 2.5X2[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]PowerPak 5.0X2[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]PowerPak 2.5X3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Nominal capacity[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2500mAh[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]5000mAh[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2500mAh[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Nominal voltage[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]7.4V[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]7.4V[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]11.1V[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Charge cut-off voltage[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]8.4V[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]8.4V[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]12.6V[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Charge voltage (PRO)[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]9 - 17V[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]9 - 17V[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]13,5 - 17V[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Weight[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]125g[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]235g[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]191g[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Weight of mounting frame[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 3, align: center"]8g[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Discharge temperature range[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 3, align: center"]0°C bis 60°C[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Charge temperature range[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 3, align: center"]0°C bis 40°C[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	103_NL_PowerPak_en_560px.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	2203648  
Old 03-02-2017, 09:49 AM
mauryr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Powerbox always gives me the impression of excelling at solving problems that don't exist in the most costly way...
I am sure somebody will find the value of this product, but personally, I'll keep using my cheap hk batteries.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:38 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It's nice to see a supplier in the hobby that does real engineering, and produces the sort of accessories we need when the safety of flight depends upon them. I continue to be impressed by the PB guys, and am really looking forward to their line of radio equipment.

Dave
Old 03-02-2017, 02:46 PM
J.F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mauryr
but personally, I'll keep using my cheap hk batteries.
Yeah, I make tyres from old rubber bands, and use old cooking oil to power my $8k jet, because why not just buy the cheapest stuff you can get for it.
Whilst you don't have to buy the most expensive product, there is a fine line between austerity and idiocy.
I'm sure you'll get years of good service from your $2 dollar pack.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:00 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I run ions in all my jets and planes, slower charging but safe and you can get high mah with relative low weight. I am wondering why pb went with a 5000mah instead of the 5200/5400 like fromco and duralite?
i really like the case and mounts been I have almost bought the flat packs in the past but I didn't due to no ions.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:10 AM
mauryr

Originally Posted by J.F
Yeah, I make tyres from old rubber bands, and use old cooking oil to power my $8k jet, because why not just buy the cheapest stuff you can get for it.
Whilst you don't have to buy the most expensive product, there is a fine line between austerity and idiocy.

$2? I am actually powering my jets with freebie batteries I got about 4 years ago and they are all still in perfect condition. So good luck with your rubber bands and cooking oil
Old 03-03-2017, 07:34 AM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by J.F
I run my truck on old cooking oil - its called bio diesel .......I produce it my self and have been since 2005 so what's wrong with that ? and mind you my truck is worth 6 figures
What a person chooses to run is their own prerogative
Old 03-03-2017, 08:06 AM
mauryr

Found this on the official page of the 'PRO' product
The micro-controller built into the PowerPak PRO implements one entirely new feature: the battery is automatically discharged to 3.8 V per cell if a period of storage lasts longer than six days

This leaves me wondering: how does this happen? Does the internal circuitry arbitrarily decide to light a resistor and discharge 20 Wh worth of energy in a completely unknown location? Potentially in a flammable airplane possibly containing fuels and stored in a closed space (car, basement, trailer, etc). Dave, do you have additional information about this feature?
Old 03-03-2017, 10:24 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mauryr
Found this on the official page of the 'PRO' product
[/COLOR][/FONT]

This leaves me wondering: how does this happen? Does the internal circuitry arbitrarily decide to light a resistor and discharge 20 Wh worth of energy in a completely unknown location? Potentially in a flammable airplane possibly containing fuels and stored in a closed space (car, basement, trailer, etc). Dave, do you have additional information about this feature?
I believe they are simply using the internal balancing transistors to slowly (i.e. low current) discharge the cells down to 3.8V.
Doing so is safe and does not generate sufficient heat to cause a safety or flammability concern.
If left to its own devices, the pack will reduce its voltage over time, primarily due to the self discharge rate of the battery itself; this is simply an extension of that same approach.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:09 PM
Harvey Mushman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can the Powerpak ECO be charged through the main power leads, or must they be charged through the small Uni lead?
Old 06-04-2017, 12:20 PM
Dave Wilshere

The small uni lead if you want the pack to be balance charged...which you do really
Old 06-04-2017, 12:36 PM
Harvey Mushman

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
The small uni lead if you want the pack to be balance charged...which you do really
Thank you for your quick reply. I have a 2500 ECO that I plan to charge at 1 amp. Yes, I do want the battery to be balanced while it is charging. So are you saying that if I charge the ECO through the large connector it will bypass the balance circuit?
Old 06-04-2017, 04:51 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by J.F
I actually have an HK 3000mah 11.1v I think was 11 bucks with the sale they had at the time I bought about 4 years ago ...I have been using it in foamys and it has outlasted many name brand batteries,
I haven't gotten a bad HK battery in years and about 5 years ago I got 1 and they replaced it no problem.
So what's your point?
Don't be "that guy".
Old 06-05-2017, 01:51 AM
Dave Wilshere

Originally Posted by Harvey Mushman
Thank you for your quick reply. I have a 2500 ECO that I plan to charge at 1 amp. Yes, I do want the battery to be balanced while it is charging. So are you saying that if I charge the ECO through the large connector it will bypass the balance circuit?
Yes, if you charge in the MPX connector it won't balance as I understand it. Same on the original PB Li-Po packs

Dave
Old 06-05-2017, 09:19 AM
Harvey Mushman

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Yes, if you charge in the MPX connector it won't balance as I understand it. Same on the original PB Li-Po packs

Dave
OK, thanks Dave.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:14 AM
Harvey Mushman

Here's an email reply I just received from PowerBox:
>Hello Bob,You can charge over both, the JR connector or over the MPX Power connector. The balancer work always.

Kind regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Emmerich Deutsch
Leiter Marketing und BetriebsorganisationPowerBox Systems GmbH>