Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Experiences with Kingtech TP60 Turboprop

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Experiences with Kingtech TP60 Turboprop

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 05:41 AM
Gonzalo38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Experiences with Kingtech TP60 Turboprop

I currently own two (2) Jetcat SPT-5 turboprops and one (1) of them has been having problems since day one. Since new, the turbine started leaking grease from the front bearing/seal and the reduction never felt smooth. It was send back to the factory for repair and after only a couple of flights since it was reinstalled, it has started to show the same problem again. The turbine only has 5,29 hours on it.

Been reading about the Kingtech TP60 and I was wondering about its reliability. Anybody with technical problems or they been reliable ?

It cost me a ton of money to send the SPT-5 back to Germany for service so I was wondering if it would be money well spend to go with a new Kingtech which will give more power in the Tucano (not a bad thing....).

Any inputs on the TP60 would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0033.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	2210813   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0044.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2210814   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0040.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2210815  
Old 04-22-2017, 09:38 AM
Fireflynightshift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Gonzalo,

I have one in my SM PC 21 and it has lost of power. no issues starts first time every time. The gearbox is noisy if you over prop it but other that that you wont be sorry.
Hope you get you Cat sorted.

Have a great day

Regards

JB
Old 04-22-2017, 12:24 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the KT-60tp in my PC-21, was very pleased with that combination. That engine would spin a 24x22 three-blade propeller with ease and gave the model good performance. Recently upgraded to the Kt-100 tp (crazy power) just to max out the performance of model.
Also, very happy with the service/support provided by Barry and Dirk at Kingtech.

Last edited by David Jackson; 04-22-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:37 AM
Gonzalo38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys for your input.

I contacted Jetcat Germany through email over the weekend and I still don't receive and answer. That's one of the reason why I'm seriously thinking on changing brands. All my other turbines are Jetcentral and they support is top notch so that's why now I'm starting to think about their Turboprop.

Their new Turboprop is very similar in power to the Kingtech TP60 and their new design is supposed to be very reliable. Any experiences out there with this turbine ?
Old 04-25-2017, 08:34 AM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Hi Gonzalo,
I am just about finished with my KT-60TP install in a standard nose Marchetti. Install/conversion was a bit of a challenge with the KT gearbox taking up so much room up front but I finally got there. Just waiting on a few final parts and then hopefully get a maiden in sometime in next couple of weeks. Like you most of my turbines are Jet Central and I have had very good service from them. I have tested the KT-60TP on the bench turning a 24X22 prop and it seems like a beast. Gearbox seems a little noisy but think that is the nature of the beast.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:15 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by David Jackson
Had the KT-60tp in my PC-21, was very pleased with that combination. That engine would spin a 24x22 three-blade propeller with ease and gave the model good performance. Recently upgraded to the Kt-100 tp (crazy power) just to max out the performance of model.
Also, very happy with the service/support provided by Barry and Dirk at Kingtech.
What size prop does that KT-100 call for?
Old 04-27-2017, 12:53 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

If you are installing the K-100 tp engine on the SM PC-21, the only propeller I have found is the Skymaster 24x23.5 five-blade propeller. I ran my K-100tp for the first time last week with the SM propeller, never advanced the throttle beyond 75%. The power of the K-100tp is very impressive. My hope is more props suitable for the K-100tp will become available with a pricetag less than $325 usd.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:11 AM
mauryr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have seen the sm pc-21 pulled by a k100tp as it flew at over 400 km/h. It was the good kind of scary -.-
Gave me the goose bumps as it whistled by literally tearing up the sky.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:51 AM
bastopol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38
I currently own two (2) Jetcat SPT-5 turboprops and one (1) of them has been having problems since day one. Since new, the turbine started leaking grease from the front bearing/seal and the reduction never felt smooth. It was send back to the factory for repair and after only a couple of flights since it was reinstalled, it has started to show the same problem again. The turbine only has 5,29 hours on it.

Been reading about the Kingtech TP60 and I was wondering about its reliability. Anybody with technical problems or they been reliable ?

It cost me a ton of money to send the SPT-5 back to Germany for service so I was wondering if it would be money well spend to go with a new Kingtech which will give more power in the Tucano (not a bad thing....).

Any inputs on the TP60 would be appreciated.
hello
i have both ans surely kingtech for me is better
i receveid spt5 since check and now at first start the rpm2 sensor failed
do you know if there is a programation in the gsu or an astuce to start

thanks if you have an answer and help

best regards

sebastien
Old 03-03-2019, 10:45 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Rpm sensor failure can be the connection, saw it on a new SPT-10 and it was a bad extension lead connection
Old 03-03-2019, 10:29 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I replaced an SPT5 with a Kingtech K60TP in my Tucano after the gearbox failed in the SPT for the second time at around 6 hours.

The K60 swings a 25x17 vs a 23x14 for the SPT5. Other pilots have noticed and commented on the difference in performance. The Kingtech has not failed me yet other than it seems to be sensitive to start-ups if there's any wind blowing against the exhaust pipes.

I did like the fact that the SPT5 had prop RPM feedback but thats the only thing I miss about it.

PaulD
Old 12-16-2019, 07:18 AM
leventx

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default kingtech k60tp

Hi to All ,strangely I have a bad luck with k60tp. one turbine broken three sm pc-21. turning five blade prop from sm. little shorter than k100 use. well balanced and wood... once it flamed out and back safely. second time it was too far couldn't. turbine gsu showed first heat goes down even i m at full throttle. engine went to dealer back again and said turbine is well I better check my fuel line and the rest. checked all and flew again and crashed badly engine went to Taiwan. back again. mean while I got new pc21 and k100tp flew happily. last weekend I removed 100tp and want to try my 60 tp.... just took off then flame out again. every time flame out history shows heat goes down first. I really hate my 60tp but I m very ok with 100tp at the end one turbine killed three sm pc21 ....this time probably I ll not even send this turbine back to service...