Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Painting with HVLP

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Painting with HVLP

Old 05-27-2017, 02:27 PM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting with HVLP

Thinking about trying HVLP for painting in the future. Looking for reccomendations, do's and don'ts and so on. Advantages, disadvantages. You name it.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:32 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a nice spray gun and you will be quite happy with HVLP. I have a Sata HVLP spray gun (Minijet) and an Iwata LVLP gun. Both are amazing for painting.

Both dont need need a lot of air so an average compressor is more than enough. Minimal overspray makes them highly efficient with the paint. The LVLP runs off my airbrush compressor no problem.

Cant really think of a negative.

Painting with the LVLP gun begins at the bottom of page 25 of my Nieuport 28 thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...-build-25.html

SunDevilPilot
Old 05-28-2017, 03:33 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Sata HVLP spray gun (Minijet) for me too.
The only way IMHO

Aviation Design.. Mirage 2000 - www.petame.gr

Old 05-28-2017, 04:05 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've been using Lowe's Kobalt HVLP gun for the past 10 years with great success. I use PPG Omni or Shop Line, their new brand. Make sure you get water separators, drain your compressor regularly for water in the bottom of the tank. Practice makes perfect, as the old saying goes. You will mess things up from too much paint or not enough paint, or a bug lands on the fresh clear coat if you don't build a paint booth. Just know that whatever you do wrong, can be sanded back off to practice again.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:55 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Or you can just use rattle cans. A wize old man (sorry Tom, you're not that old) once said, "Can't tell the difference at 100 mph."
Old 05-28-2017, 12:36 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I can't honestly come up with a single good reason to use hvlp. I hate them. My sata guns are all RP, reduced pressure. They create more overspray than hvlp but less that a conventional gun. However they spray just like a conventional gun. I get better flow and more consistent coverage for candy and pearl/metallic paints. I had a sata hvlp3000. I tried and tried to like it but finally gave it away.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:28 PM
Air Works

What paints are you guys using, base coat with 2K clear or 2k?
Old 05-29-2017, 07:18 AM
fireblade5437

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I painted my CARF Hawk in solid 2K and used SATA mini jet 4, superb gun....mix all my paints by weight
I will only use 2k. Base coats and sprayed with 2k lacquer are fine as well.
I also had a white 2k undercoat especially made up for the 2010 Display scheme as the red is that bright it needed a white undercoat.
The guys from 'Paints4U' are excellent in their service

Alan

Last edited by fireblade5437; 05-29-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:25 PM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

A while back I bought a Devilbiss HVLP starting line set with a full size gun and a smaller touch up gun. Question is the big gun has a 1.3 and 1.8 tips whereas the touch up gun only has a 1.0. All the tech sheets I've seen call for a 1.3-1.4 tip for color or clear coats and 1.8-2.2 for primers, so what good is the 1.0?
Old 06-11-2017, 11:24 PM
Air Works

Originally Posted by rcmigpilot View Post
A while back I bought a Devilbiss HVLP starting line set with a full size gun and a smaller touch up gun. Question is the big gun has a 1.3 and 1.8 tips whereas the touch up gun only has a 1.0. All the tech sheets I've seen call for a 1.3-1.4 tip for color or clear coats and 1.8-2.2 for primers, so what good is the 1.0?
You can spray colour and clear coats with a 1.0mm setup. The smaller guns are typically used for spot repairs or hard to reach areas when used for automotive finishing
Old 06-12-2017, 10:22 AM
c_makhija

Ralle... Paint Guru. recommends the Sata Minijet.
Great gun.

Chatty.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:17 AM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Originally Posted by Air Works View Post
You can spray colour and clear coats with a 1.0mm setup. The smaller guns are typically used for spot repairs or hard to reach areas when used for automotive finishing
Any additional thinning or other changes needed?
Old 06-12-2017, 12:17 PM
Arnold773
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by SECRET AGENT View Post
Or you can just use rattle cans. A wize old man (sorry Tom, you're not that old) once said, "Can't tell the difference at 100 mph."
"NO" im sure he is not trying to make it a Buck Garza special.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:48 PM
Air Works

Originally Posted by rcmigpilot View Post
Any additional thinning or other changes needed?
Mix your main components i.e. base and hardener to manufactures spec and then add the correct type and amount of thinners according to the conditions and within manufactures specs. Set the correct pressure at the base of the gun not at the compressor. Then as with every mix run a pass on a test board. You will have to play with the flow and pattern rates but when you have them setup make a note of the Gun (Ideally you should have three) / Fluid tip size / Air cap / Gun inlet pressure / Pattern control knob (turns out) / Fluid control knob (turns out) / Paint type. This will give you a reference start point each time which is ideal because if you are not spraying every day its easy to forget especially if you are using the same gun for multiple applications i.e. primer, base and clear or if one of your mates says that's a nice gun as they stand there twiddling the controls. One other tip mix by weight and always strain the paint though a filter into the paint pot. I run water traps on the output of the compressor and at the base of the gun.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:36 PM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

Also lots of great you-tube videos to get a basic idea on how to run the gun and spray. Another tip is to go to your local paint shop and see if they have some old miss color matched paint you can pick up cheap, usually they will and if gives you some good material to practice with. I doubt many of us modelers paint enough to stay up to speed so to speak. Seems to me a lot more work goes into prepping the surface and painting booth ( the garage) than the actual painting.