Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Brand New T-one Eurofighter leading edge slats

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Brand New T-one Eurofighter leading edge slats

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 05:08 PM
mmflytie
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brand New T-one Eurofighter leading edge slats

Well I now have my Eurofighter jet from T-one and Pacific RC Jets and I might add, several months sooner than I original had thought. Awesome craftsmanship and the detail is amazing. This is a true eurofighter, not a eurosport. Among the many realistic features are leading edge slats. Again, they are formed and fit to perfection. However since there are no instructions for assembly( we are all use to this by now) and no apparent hardware, I'm on my own to figure out how to attach them. The modeler in me wants so bad to see those "sliding" slats function but the RC pilot in me says , it may be a disaster when it comes to functionality. The easy way is just to glue them in place and be done with it. The plane will fly normal. The hair-pulling , insane method would be to try and design an ergonomic system of servo driven levers and rails that would actually allow them to be deployed. It was suggested to me to pick the middle ground and permanently attach them but in a partially deployed position, such as shown in these photos. I would like to take a survey on here and get feedback on what you all think about this, what type of flight characteristics I would inherit and how much deployment can I have to give the illusion without changing terribly the way the plane flies.( since it will be a permanent position)
I'm also thinking of starting a build thread for this model if there is any interest by others to do so. Let me know

Thanks
Marc
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3513.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	2220147   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3514.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	2220148  
Old 06-15-2017, 12:55 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

In general delta wings are very forgiving, we know from the CARF Eurosport that it has carefree handling, so although the slats are a nice scale feature and they do show clearly in photos of the full-size when it is manoeuvering, it is hard to see what advantage they would give to the model's handling.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:39 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I agree with HarryC. Why destroy the looks of the airplane with limited functionality, at best.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:21 AM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't do it.

Not worth it. I think it was all covered in the face time. Glue in place, either standard position or partially deployed.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:01 AM
Digital Pilot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mmflytie

PM Sent
Old 06-15-2017, 11:20 AM
mmflytie

Thx guys. Yes it was Randy but I was just interested to see if anyone had a thought on how much permanent partial deployment I can get away with. I'm gonna glue them but don't want to go too far. 1/16", 1/4", 3/8"?????
Old 06-15-2017, 12:50 PM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

For a slot to work it has to be a specific shape, and the size of the gap matters too. Any old random slot does not help a wing just because it is a slot. Unless both are correct you will add drag for no lift benefit and possibly make lift worse not better. The probability of both the shape and the depth of the slot being in the beneficial range is pretty remote especially if you are picking a depth at random, so the safest thing to do is glue them firmly shut!
Old 06-15-2017, 03:03 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Wait until I build the new one and I will let you know my opinion on it. If your not going to make them work then they need to be full up so the plane flies right at speed.

I'm pretty sure they won't do much and would only be a thing for people that like scale looks.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:35 PM
roger.alli

Agree with Harry,

I have fitted LE slats to a BVM F100. These surfaces travel out about 12 mm, and down about 5mm, measured at the root. They travel on three tracks which are factory fitted in each wing panel at BVM. They were relatively easy to fit, but all the hard engineering and alignments are done at factory. Still a lot of work though…
I would not recommend gluing your slats permanently partially open, unless you want to do all your flying at high AOA, or in the landing configuration.

The problem is, LE slats look really cool.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160501_165835.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	2220314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7042FULLJPG-X3.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	2220315  

Last edited by roger.alli; 06-15-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:39 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Why not make them work without a servo where they work with airspeed like they did on the F-86?
Old 06-15-2017, 08:38 PM
CRye
My Feedback: (15)

Later f-86 and some retro fits utilized power to deploy the slat which controlled both sides together. I did a little work on a full scale. Local rc jet flyer here was an f-86 pilot. They went to power position because in a turn the air speed auto deploy were not linked, left and right side, timed together and could give asymmetrical deployment with very bad results. The cable system and adjusting just to keep the inboard and outboard on one side together is quite complicated.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:04 PM
Miniflyer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Slats work (in simplified words) by accelerating air through a slot and thus getting a better, faster and more laminar airflow over the top of the wing at higher AOA. Your wing features a step from the size of my porch.....im afraid you wont be accellerating your airflow, but disturbing it in an unforseeable way. Judging from the pictures, a "smooth" retrofit would be a pain in the......well, id glue them on in ihe all closed position.
My $0.02
Hank
Old 06-16-2017, 06:29 AM
mmflytie

Guys thx so much for the varied input! That's exactly what I needed to hear ! BTW , the F100 looks really cool, nice job. Well since BVM didn't build this wing , sounds like I better glue them shut in full up position. I did read where some slats were free floating (relying on air speed to operate them), but that's full scale with full weight. I can imagine in a model the inconsistency would be significant, so that's not an option. I guess I'll just lose the "cool " factor.... like we say, once in the air , who can tell. I just wanted it for the static looks. Thanks again for responses

marc
Old 06-16-2017, 05:25 PM
Basspilot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am working on mine currently and im gluing them in full up position. Slats are only really beneficial for low speed high AOA. It would be nice though if they were fully functional!!
Old 06-16-2017, 07:37 PM
mmflytie

Yes it would be!

Marc
Old 06-23-2017, 02:49 PM
Basspilot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Marc,

I have been working on my Eurofighter and decided to glue my slats 1/8" open. I fly scale so blistering speed is not a concern for me. We will see!!
Old 11-08-2017, 10:14 PM
Signofinfinity

How did you end up with the slats? Did you flight test them deployed?

George
Old 11-09-2017, 07:26 AM
gunradd

Originally Posted by Signofinfinity
How did you end up with the slats? Did you flight test them deployed?

George

George you just glue them up. They are made separate so make them look more scale when installed. It works great. Everyone asks me if they are functional. Also while doing weathering you can get in the cracks deep to make it look more real.

I have taken this plane to a hover so no need to use slats to slow it more. It handles great at slow speeds. If you glue them half deployed your inverted performance will suffer.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:21 AM
Signofinfinity

Thanks Kris! Then up they will be!

Thanks! Your inputs are a treasure cove!
Old 11-10-2017, 05:26 AM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Mmflytime. If you want to make them work, Look up the manual on the Skymaster web site for the large 1/5th F-86 Sabre. They have a very neat system for sliding hinges. It will take some building to make the hardware but it can be done. I used the slates on my large Sabre and they work fantastic and look great too when deployed. it really slows the Sabre down. I would not recommend having the slats free floating and deploy on there own. I read a book about the Blue Angels, when they where in the A-4 they had slats that would deploy when the air pressure over the wing dropped low enough. Problem was that while doing maneuvers, pressures would be different from one side of the jet to the other. They had a few instances when one slat would deploy and roll them over on their back . Once the team figured out what was happening. they bolted the slats shut. If you put them on the Eurofighter as operational, 2 servos in each wing will be needed to push them out. This is how the Sabre is set up.

You say there is no hardware for the slats? If so contact Dirk or Barry Pacific RC jets, find out why. I believe something was over looked

Good luck
Joe Lewis
Kingtech
K-80, K-140,K-180 owner

Last edited by Jetpilot24; 11-10-2017 at 05:28 AM. Reason: addition
Old 11-10-2017, 05:33 AM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mmflytie
Well I now have my Eurofighter jet from T-one and Pacific RC Jets and I might add, several months sooner than I original had thought. Awesome craftsmanship and the detail is amazing. This is a true eurofighter, not a eurosport. Among the many realistic features are leading edge slats. Again, they are formed and fit to perfection. However since there are no instructions for assembly( we are all use to this by now) and no apparent hardware, I'm on my own to figure out how to attach them. The modeler in me wants so bad to see those "sliding" slats function but the RC pilot in me says , it may be a disaster when it comes to functionality. The easy way is just to glue them in place and be done with it. The plane will fly normal. The hair-pulling , insane method would be to try and design an ergonomic system of servo driven levers and rails that would actually allow them to be deployed. It was suggested to me to pick the middle ground and permanently attach them but in a partially deployed position, such as shown in these photos. I would like to take a survey on here and get feedback on what you all think about this, what type of flight characteristics I would inherit and how much deployment can I have to give the illusion without changing terribly the way the plane flies.( since it will be a permanent position)
I'm also thinking of starting a build thread for this model if there is any interest by others to do so. Let me know

Thanks
Marc
Just looked at your pictures a little closer. Looks as though there is some sort of pivot point on the slat that may require a piano wire hinge to rotate the slat. Get in touch with Dirk or barry. they are good people and I bet they can point you in the right direction.

Joe Lewis
Kingtech
K-80,K-140,K-180
Owner

Last edited by Jetpilot24; 11-11-2017 at 04:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-10-2017, 05:40 AM
Signofinfinity

Am I right in saying the FeiBao EF had problems with the slats mechanisms? I believe I did see a YouTube of a hull loss caused by slat issue....
Old 11-10-2017, 06:57 AM
mmflytie

Thanks Joe, but since the accident I'm focusing more on just getting it back together so I can fly it.Marc
Old 11-10-2017, 08:25 AM
gunradd

This model was never ment to have working slats guys. The wing has a very scale airfoil and is very thin. No room to even try and make them work.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:43 PM
mmflytie

Smile http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Kris,
I agree. Would be curious to hear from pilots that have fixed the slats at a certain noticeable position to " simulate use" and comment on its flight characteristics. But it sounds like it is a sweet flyer just the way it is stock. I hope to experience that some day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.