Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Pulsing smoke

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Pulsing smoke

Old 07-02-2017, 09:16 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thank you, I think you have answered all my questions. I will order a unit from you and let you know how it works on my Futaba setup with the Powerbox smoke pump.

Regards and again, thank you for helping out with this.

Jan
Old 07-03-2017, 03:39 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by i3dm
Here you go guys, my universal pulsing smoke controller,
since i custom build each unit, i can supply any rates of pulsating that you choose !

I hope you like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBemOtRpl5c
Nice good job man...I was playing with the Arduino project onu controller and smile to myself how easy you can control the pump run duration from your TX. I think you got a winner.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:08 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The only way I can think of doing this with the 18MZ is to use the same technique used to sequence doors ... a points PMIX with a very slow transit time. But the 18MZ does not have (as far as I can tell) any way to do a repeating sequence ... so you would be limited by the number of points in a PMIX curve which the manual states is 17 .. so if you do a simple square wave shape with points that gives you 8 up/down pairs or 8 pulses of smoke. You could make the time between pulses vary over a wide range .. but you'd have to manually toggle the smoke on and off every 8 pulses.

Perhaps there are other 18MZ gurus who know more than me and have another idea.

Looks like the Spek guys have a nice advantage here with the built-in sequencer and a repeating sequence option. And Len's program is VERY clever .. nice work!

I do really like i3dm's device .. that seems like probably the cleanest way to do the task, and while not end-user programmable .. totally flexible.

What would really look sharp is to have i3dm make two devices, identical except the pulses are out of phase .. one device that goes 10101010 and the other "Twin" that goes 01010101 ... put each of these in a formation plane, both smoke pumps controlled by one of the TXs as was stated earlier and get an alternating pattern between the two planes. I think that would look sharp. i3dm's device could also easily do Morse code sequences :-)

i3dm .. does the pic board you use have the option of using a micro SD card or some other removable storage? Then you could have a user-editable file with sequences and timing in it ... much like Carsten does with his ASSI device...

Dave

Last edited by ww2birds; 07-03-2017 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:06 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I do not have the option to use an SD card, nor would i like one.
i finished developing the V1.0 of my pulsating smoke controller, and here are the results:

The V1.0 pulsating ssmoke controller has 22 oprational modes defined by PWM values of the smoke pump channel.

Every radio PWM values vary from end to end from 1100us (Low) to 2100us.

see attached manual for reference.
Attached Thumbnails Pulsating smaoke controller manual.pdf   Click image for larger version

Name:	pulsatin smoke controller  manual.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	2222778  

Last edited by i3dm; 07-03-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:14 PM
Springbok Flyer

Very good Lior,

I look forward to receiving mine soon.

Dave,

I came to the same conclusion as you when I tried to get my 18MZ programmed for pulsing smoke.

Cheers guys,

Jan
Old 07-04-2017, 04:30 AM
i3dm

Thank you Jan.

If anyone wants to order the pulsing smoke controller, i have posted it on the RCU classifieds:
Universal Pulsing Smoke Controller (ID: 1111692)

Custom settings available if you like
thanks.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:24 AM
i3dm

Installed the pulsing smoke controller on my Aspire and made a short demo video with my Futaba Tx:

Last edited by i3dm; 07-07-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:33 AM
i3dm

Testing the pulsing smoke controller in flight today:

Old 07-10-2017, 05:28 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LenAlessi
Hi Guys,
I threw together a sequencer and supporting program mixes this AM that I believe will work to produce pulsing smoke. I haven't tried it in actual application but the TX monitor says it's working
Typically there is more than one way to get something programmed that will work. This is just one of them for pulsing smoke and can probably be used for other devices as well. I hope this little write-up will get some of you going on sequencer programming in general and looping sequencers in particular.
Len

Len Alessi
Team Horizon Hobby Air
Never did get this to work with a switch
Old 07-11-2017, 03:04 AM
LenAlessi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can post your SPM file I will have a look at it to see where the problem is.
Len
Old 07-11-2017, 03:27 AM
Springbok Flyer

Default Not ideal, unfotunately....

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
Hi guys,

Here is an off-the-shelf option that look like it could work too - I have ordered one to try.

Adjustable Interval Timer VM136

Cheers,

Jan
Received this unit and checked it out. Unfortunately it has to be powered by 12volt, it will not work on 7.2 to 8.4 volt (which is what I have onboard). The pump side is no problem on the lower voltage, however I suspect the lower voltage affect the timing adjustment somewhat. Oh well, I will use it for something else. Thankfully I also have one of Lior's units on order, which I think might do the trick together with my Futaba 18MZ.

Cheers,

Jan