Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Longest service interval-which turbine?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Longest service interval-which turbine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 08:46 AM
cmp3cantrj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
I believe AMT engines use ceramic bearings, superior for such application, lighter and harder than steel. I will ask Bennie for confirmation.

AMTs are probably stronger built than most engines, and are not so highly stressed, even running at full power. As well as strong construction the internal flows probably result in lower turbine inlet temperatures, giving the NGVs and turbine wheel an easier life, too. That temperature is critical and RR allowed higher temps and thrusts with excellent reliability when they developed the single crystal turbine blade. (each blade on the wheel of a Trent produces 900 HP !)

I have always compared them, AMTs with the Rolls Royce RB211, (Now Trent) heavier than comparable engines but demonstrating incredible reliability.

That said, I believe one of the most important aspects of long bearing life is clinically clean fuel, Multiple filtrations through fine filters) and the optimisation of turbine life is minimising full throttle use, just as is done in airliner ops. ( my own civil engine experience is with RR Conways, RB211, P&W JT 8, CFM 56, GE CF6, only the old Conway ever failed on me, once, and on that occasion when using full power for take off, and all used de rates when possible as its the last few rpm % which creates the greatest stress and wear.

The one engine that did run at 100% in supersonic cruise, about 2.5 hours at Mach 2, was the RR Olympus 593 on Concorde, a truly brilliant engine!

David G.
AS far as I am aware all model turbine manufacturers using hybrid ceramic bearings. Given that fact the major issues for bearing life will be fuel cleanliness (given that the fuel is used as a bearing lubricant), temperature and the avoidance of undesigned loading on the bearings. Those last few rpm are not significant in themselves - but they do generally result in a BIG rise in EGT. So an underrated engine will last longer.To avoid bearing loads good landings in general and not crashing in particular will help, as will extra rigidity in the bearing mount and shaft. I suspect these latter factors may be the key to the AMT's long bearing life (given the higher weight of these engines).
Old 08-13-2017, 11:01 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetset
Good info. i ask these questions because my project might require the turbine to run for 1-2 hours at a time. Maybe more.
Most wear are on startup and cooling. I would think if balanced well it will run for many 100 hours. If you get a K310, get it ballanced by someone external with great knowledge and maybe limit it from running the final fiew RPM it will last easily 10 times the recommended interval. Maybe even looking at the engines with brushless pump.

(I know for sure Jetcat said 50h for industrial use and 25h for model planes.)
Old 08-14-2017, 10:20 PM
Jetset
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am glad I started this topic, I learned a lot from it. Yes, I have avoided the actual purpose of the application for the engine, but I will say it is to be more or less a hot air blower to be used in winter
Saying that reminds me of a video I watched where they have turbines mounted on the front of trains like this video.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:35 AM
philjac94

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your purpose is mainly for Winter usage I would suggest you stick with the recommended oil type and mix. Some oils that have crept into use suffer from waxing at lower temperatures, not only causing starting issues but also bearing issues when lubrication circuit gets compromised by the thickening of the fuel mixture.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:31 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I still like the idea of a jet sled on the ice! That kind of blower is fine for railway tracks and drying NASCAR track, but one of the reasons that you don't see it done at airports, is the water doesn't dry quick enough and freezes back into ice. And usually black ice. You better get started!! Doesn't it start snowing there next month? HaHa!
Old 08-15-2017, 07:10 PM
Jetset
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, my application isn't for an airport LOL But yeah I can imagine the black ice. If i actually liked winter, I would probably try something like that. Hell I don't go ice fishing, snowmobiling or anything that has to do with being out side in that awful white stuff! With that being said...my hot airblower will make me some $$$$! There is a method to this madness!
Old 08-18-2017, 02:40 AM
josecilurzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bem
Hi,
I wonder how many hour they have on each of them?

/Bo
i dont know precisely, but these guys ( from south of Brazil ) flies a lot!! i have 2 JETCATs P80 SE, runing perfect that has around 130 and 70 hs run time, that change bearings and inspected after 50 hs, on JETCAT Brazil, they are perfect !! running on DIESEL plus 4,5% MOBIL DTE LIGHT.
The engine that has 130 hs, was sent yesterday for inspect, when back from JC i will post pics.

jose