Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Buddy Box DX18QQ to DX18

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Buddy Box DX18QQ to DX18

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 05:52 PM
rcflier53
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buddy Box DX18QQ to DX18

I've been searching the forums and the web for a better explanation of the buddy box setup for these 2 radios and have come up short. So here we go:

I'm a turbine pilot in training and have a DX18QQ set up to fly my ViperJet (master tx). My instructor has a Gen1 DX18 (slave tx as buddy box). We are trying to figure out why I only can get the primary flight controls to work when he selects the trainer button to allow me to fly. We are using the buddy box cord to hook them up. We have a Acro plane setup on the slave tx which has everything duplicated as far as trims, reverse, sub trim, dual rates, mixing, etc., just as what's on my DX18QQ for the jet. We tried all 4 trainer functions and ended up with the Master on "Programmable" and the Slave on "Slave" just to get the basic control surfaces to the point to where I can just use the 4 primary controls (throttle, rudder, elevator, and ailerons) even though all 8 channels are turned on.

Are we missing something that would allow me as the student, to be able to also have full control of the flaps, gear, speed brakes, trim, and dual rate switches too? Makes it tough to learn when you can't have all the functionality of what your trying to learn to do.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2017, 07:19 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well the first thing you need to do is verify that both radios have the latest firmware updates?

There were some additional features found in the QQ when it was introduced that did not show up in the regular 18's for awhile making it impossible to even transfer models from one to the other. So are both radios up to date on the firmware?
Old 08-07-2017, 03:49 AM
rcflier53

Both are indeed on the latest firmware. We did try to transfer my viper programming from the QQ to the regular 18 with the SD card and it came up with an error each time we tried to import it.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:45 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I had troubles doing what you are looking for with a DX-18 Gen 1 as the master and a DX-18 Gen 2 as a slave. Also tried a DX9 as the slave. Had to use the cord and the Gen 1 did not put the flaps and gear out to either of the slaves we tried. But, ... we did not take very much time to figure it out. Will be following this thread.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:35 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by rcflier53
Both are indeed on the latest firmware. We did try to transfer my viper programming from the QQ to the regular 18 with the SD card and it came up with an error each time we tried to import it.
Well that error message is typical of the issue I described about the QQ having more "stuff" in the programming. I was my understanding that about the 3rd or 4th update, the DX18's got that functionaliy. Got another DX18 Gen2 around?

Or, you could head on over to the Radio Forum at RCGroups and post the question/problem there. Andy Kunz who is a programmer for Horizon spends a chunk of time over there trying to help folks. He visits the radio forum here occasionally but not nearly as often as he's over on RCGroups. There are also two other guys who are sharp as tacks; IvanC, Mukem (?) and a third is a Canadian guy with about 15,000 posts, can't remember his username right now....
Old 08-07-2017, 04:35 PM
rcflier53

Thanks for the heads up about the radio forums and guys over there. Hopefully Andy can shed some light on the issue.

Edit: Andy Kunz is awesome. He sent me a response to my message within minutes. He said that only the first 8 channels transfer via the corded buddy box setup. If we could use a GEN2 DX-18 as the Master and utilize the wireless buddy box feature, all channels would be available on both the master and slave transmitters.

Last edited by rcflier53; 08-07-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:39 AM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by rcflier53
Thanks for the heads up about the radio forums and guys over there. Hopefully Andy can shed some light on the issue.

Edit: Andy Kunz is awesome. He sent me a response to my message within minutes. He said that only the first 8 channels transfer via the corded buddy box setup. If we could use a GEN2 DX-18 as the Master and utilize the wireless buddy box feature, all channels would be available on both the master and slave transmitters.
Good deal! It's nice to have that resource available.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:53 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Thats funny, I had that thought about the 8 channels rattling around in the back of my brain full of other useless trivia but I didn't want to throw the wrong answer out there.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:03 AM
rcflier53

The training function is definitely designed for the new pilot, not an old dog learning new tricks. At least that's the case without the newest radios.