Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF Mephisto Build thread

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF Mephisto Build thread

Old 05-16-2020, 05:56 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I got my first flight on the Mephisto today, and then 4 more! A beautiful and very nice flying aircraft. Iíll have more to say about that after dinner but I am very happy with this jet!
The following 2 users liked this post by husafreak:
flyer1966 (05-16-2020), paulhat (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 06:30 PM
husafreak

Proof!

The following users liked this post:
paulhat (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 06:38 PM
husafreak

Here are some pictures of my “build”.

ASHLOK connectors, Powerbox heavy gauge wiring.

KT320 is a sweet engine. Dual tanks, seven minutes with ample reserves.

ZivBit mod of course. KT320 stuff, pump and valve under shelf. Smoke not installed but self contained unit.

Dual flow MAP, all 6mm Festo lines, no issues with flow.

Powerbox Rx, Electron GS-200.

Not much surface area for mounting things in the V2, but enough.

Dual 3300 Rx packs and ECU battery up front.

Still needed about 6 oz in the nose. Admittedly nose heavy on purpose. Just until tail will not stay on ground.

Keep fasteners in box, don't fly until the box is empty.

Beast mode.

You can get creative here!

Last edited by husafreak; 05-17-2020 at 11:32 AM. Reason: photo descriptions
Old 05-17-2020, 05:02 AM
Desert Fox 1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cheers!
Desert Fox 1
husafreak (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 11:15 AM
husafreak

Nice flight, it reminded me of my day yesterday I enjoyed just flying precision with it and short high harriers and hovers went fine. I tried some half hearted flips and pinwheels but a couple of times it did some crazy gyration departures on its own after I released the inputs. Both times that happened I centered the sticks and when it kept tumbling I switched back to my no gryo, taileron, or vector FM1 and got the nose down to fly out. But when it went a bit crazy I was in my hover flight mode with high vector gyro gains and heading hold so it must have been the gyro confused. I guess I have some learning to do...
I do have some great set up advice. Now that I don't need a no gyro FM I will set up a 3D flight mode in FM2 with less pipe gain, travel, and no HH on and try flips and pinwheels again.

But basically first day out, Powerbox Royal, I had a basic FM1, no gyro, low rates. The plane flew great like this. I trimmed the pipe or actually I found the pipe to be fine just having eyeballed it and trimmed it from my CORE. With any other plane I would have moved on to knife edge mixes etc. but instead I went to my FM2. That was the same as FM1 but with gyro and a small amount of HH on aileron and elevator. It flew pretty much the same but I could see how HH kind of does the same job as mixing out rolling or pulling to the canopy in knife edge, up and down lines, etc. If you can keep your fingers off the sticks. HH is a strange thing, my first try with that, but really low gain, like 3. FM3 is a hover set up.
I still need to play with trims more and especially gains. I can see why properly trimming a Mephisto to perform optimally in different flight regimes will require a lot of flights but I'm happy to do it!
Old 05-22-2020, 05:17 PM
Scott Baker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm setting up the Cortex Pro on my Carf Mephisto V2 and stuck on only having 6 outputs from the CP.
Equipment used is the Spectrum DX18 and Spectrum AR20310t receiver using the cable loom for the CP.
Gyro channels used are:
Taileron L
Taileron R
Aileron L
Aileron R
Rudder
I need 2 more channels for the thrust vectoring, so should i loose rudder to have the below configuration?
Taileron L
Taileron R
Aileron L
Aileron R
TV Rudder
TV Elevator
Old 05-22-2020, 07:54 PM
husafreak

Good luck, hopefully you can find someone who has done what you are doing already and can tell you how.

I had another great day out yesterday, got six more flights, did 3D stuff with a 3D set up and it went rather well. Getting a nice precision flying mode dialed in. Starting to learn the difference between flying this jet and letting the Royal gyro do its thing. Amazing airplane. Couldn't be happier and gaining much respect for the fellows that have programmed these different flight modes and flown them to their potential.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:15 PM
TheFishLA

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Today with the good old mephisto. Can you tell I love this plane?
flyer1966 (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 09:08 AM
husafreak

Nice flight! I noticed in your links that you (and a few others here) have the J-10. When it came out in 2014 I was very interested in getting it. A friend of mine has one. How does that compare to the Mephisto? I guess it is more of a one trick (3D) pony? So I wonder how it compares for 3D flying.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:53 AM
skymaster68
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys!!! I hope everyone is doing safe!!!

I'm gonna build a second Mephisto, V2 this time.... on my V1 I have Savox 1270 all around and 2290 on flaps, this time I want to give MKS a try....

The ones running on MKS, what are your servo option, MKS has so many numbers that I get lost finding the right ones.....

Thxs in Advance.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:18 PM
F1 Rocket

Originally Posted by skymaster68 View Post

I'm gonna build a second Mephisto, V2 this time.... on my V1 I have Savox 1270 all around and 2290 on flaps, this time I want to give MKS a try....

The ones running on MKS, what are your servo option, MKS has so many numbers that I get lost finding the right ones.....

Thxs in Advance.
The one I built has:
HBL599 (ail, stabs, rud)
HBL3850 (vector)
HV9930 (Flap, nose wheel)
Old 05-30-2020, 02:30 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket View Post
The one I built has:
HBL599 (ail, stabs, rud)
HBL3850 (vector)
HV9930 (Flap, nose wheel)
I got to ask.....why not 599 on vectors versus the slower 3850?
Old 05-30-2020, 03:31 PM
F1 Rocket

Originally Posted by Dansy View Post
I got to ask.....why not 599 on vectors versus the slower 3850?
The advise was to use the strongest servos for the vector.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:47 PM
TheFishLA

Originally Posted by skymaster68 View Post

Thxs in Advance.
9930 all around.
flyer1966 (05-30-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 04:51 PM
TheFishLA

Originally Posted by husafreak View Post
Nice flight! I noticed in your links that you (and a few others here) have the J-10. When it came out in 2014 I was very interested in getting it. A friend of mine has one. How does that compare to the Mephisto? I guess it is more of a one trick (3D) pony? So I wonder how it compares for 3D flying.
Thanks! J10 is more of a toy compare to the mephisto. It's easier to do 3d stuff with the j10 because of the thrust to weight ratio. Mephisto is stable, has an amazing envelope.
husafreak (05-31-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 05:17 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket View Post
The advise was to use the strongest servos for the vector.
I see....I would think a fast servo on vector is more Important and that the 599 would be more then strong enough.....
Old 05-31-2020, 07:22 PM
husafreak

The advice I was given is power first, speed second. If you can't have it all... I have Savox 2290 on mine, on the pipe. I think fast servos work very well with gyros, heli guys have relied on gyros for years and speed is king. But when you try to redirect the thrust of something like a KT320 at WOT I am guessing it requires power.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:36 PM
husafreak

Good day today, fourth time out with Mephisto, 23 flights now. Amazing wonderful airplane, but not easy! Just wonderful. Still playing with set up. Learning to fly with heading hold. Balancing rates, expo, gyro gain, HH. Anybody looking for another level in this hobby should try one By the time I left the field I was quite happy with the settings after correcting back from an ah, unbalanced state. Feel free to name another jet that can go from (possibly) the best precision pattern jet to a 3D monster with the flip of a switch. Or a plane where changing any stetting by a few % is immediately noticeable.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:43 AM
Cinghiale84

Husafreak what do you mean when you say "not easy".

Can someone please gave me the dimensions of the main and nose wheal of the mephisto?

Husafreak are you using a cortex pro? If yes can you share more of your settings?

Thanks
Old 06-01-2020, 12:51 PM
husafreak

Hmmm, I thought I explained that in my post... I have never flown an airplane with tailerons plus ailerons, and thrust vectoring, or used heading hold. So flips and spins or pirouettes and hovering and the high alpha regime into and out of those maneuvers is all a new flight regime for me and it is not "easy" to do those things really well. And for me the CORE is a new transmitter and this is the first time I fly with a Powerbox product like the Royal, so the programming and trimming is not "easy" either. And it is taking me a lot of flights to get my settings dialed. But with a flip of a switch you could go to a basic flight set up without all that and then is is a sweet flying, precise, and easy to land airplane. I made it not easy
Wheels, nose 3 1/2"(90mm) mains 4" (100mm) approx.
The manual talks about the Cortex Pro but I am only using the Royal.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:27 PM
Cinghiale84

Ok now I understand, is gonna be the first time also for me to fly such a complex aircraft so I'm trying to gather all the possible information before the maiden
​​How is it in a normal configuration? Easy to fly, to land? Do you fly with the tailerons always active or you have a switch?

About the gear I'm asking some measurements because I'm designing a 3d printed model of the gear while I'm waiting mine that might take quite long time due to the covid19 delays.
So couple of requests more.
Could you gave me the measure of the main leg and nose leg please. Like I indicate in the picture

Old 06-01-2020, 06:32 PM
husafreak

With a flip of a switch you could go to a basic flight set up and then is is a sweet flying, precise, and easy to land airplane.
I did a quick check approximately 225mm plus the steering arm on the nose and 185mm on the main. Maybe someone who hasn't mounted their gear yet can give you a picture or more precise measurements. I can't be very precise without cycling the gear or removing the covers. My measurements are on an angle to the axle as well.
My flight modes are:
1. Precision flight. No Tailerons or thrust vector, Using heading hold on Elev and Ail instead of a traditional rudder to elev/Ail or throttle to elev mixes.
2. 3D flight. Tailerons and TV are active.
3. Hover. Only hover. Very similar to 3D but much higher gains on TV.

Mine is nose heavy, if I set the tail on the ground and release it the nose will drop slowly. I was told this is better with the Royal iGyro system.
A 3 position switch on my Tx selects the 3 flight modes in the Royal. The Royal has two gyro circuits so I can select different gyro gains and heading hold gains on, for instance, the elevator and the TV pitch function.
I think that once you decided what equipment you will use you should try to find someone, somewhere, who could share their setup with you. Your flying style and preferences, as well as your particular servos, CG, etc. will determine the final numbers but for me it was a godsend to have two very capable "Mephisto pros" start me off on the right track with reasonable starting settings.