Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF Joker build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF Joker build thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 12:46 PM
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 111 Likes on 89 Posts

Hi,
I stuck some grommets in holes thru the stab to help protect the servo leads.

The following users liked this post:
Tom ling (12-23-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 01:40 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Dave, while it may not need them, I have to think cleaning up the inlet area has to help. The carbon inlet definitely have bling factor!!
The Joker is aimed at low hour pilots, so the added natural drag by removing the ducting coupled with the over size inlets helped manage the energy. It was not introduced as a speed machine (Insert Ultra Flash), it was a follow on for Xcalibur customers- been hugely successful here as just that.

Dave

Old 10-02-2020, 02:02 PM
jvaliensi

Good safety tip!

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
The Joker is aimed at low hour pilots, so the added natural drag by removing the ducting coupled with the over size inlets helped manage the energy. It was not introduced as a speed machine (Insert Ultra Flash), it was a follow on for Xcalibur customers- been hugely successful here as just that.

Dave
Old 10-02-2020, 09:38 PM
T_CAT

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm looking for a jet to purchase to obtain my turbine waiver, and am considering purchasing the Carf Joker PNP. I'm not sure if the PNP is still available, although DreamWorks still has it on their website and to call to order. The price doesn't seem correct though, as it's a lot cheaper than I anticipated. I would be using either a Kingtech K70G2 or Swiwin SW80B turbine.

What are your thoughts on using the Joker for the turbine waiver?

For a bit of a background, I fly jets more than any other type of RC aircraft, and have 15 years of EDF experience of various types, and consider myself to be a proficient and safe pilot. However, I'm new in the turbine jet scene. I have watched the Joker fly at my field and it appears to fly nicely. A well engineered jet that has versatility, quality, and room to grow is what I'm looking for. I don't want a jet that I simply purchase just to get the waiver completed and then sell it. I want an aircraft that provides fun and reliability well into the future. I have an aircraft with a 4.5kg thrust turbine ready to go soon, but I can't use that to get my waiver completed, which I knew ahead of time. I've been going back and forth on several larger jets to use as my qualifying waiver jet for quite a while now, but would finally like to seal the deal on one. I originally picked up a foam turbine jet to use with the K70 for the waiver process, but I changed my mind and I'd much rather have a composite jet from almost all standpoints.

Thanks!

Last edited by T_CAT; 10-02-2020 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:07 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

I would check with either of the CARF Reps on the PNP pricing. Being that you're an experienced pilot I see no reason why you could not get your waiver with the Joker.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:22 PM
T_CAT

Thank you, Bob. I appreciate it. I'll email the CARF reps. tomorrow morning to see the current status of Joker PNP's and pricing.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:31 AM
Tom ling

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by T_CAT
I'm looking for a jet to purchase to obtain my turbine waiver, and am considering purchasing the Carf Joker PNP. I'm not sure if the PNP is still available, although DreamWorks still has it on their website and to call to order. The price doesn't seem correct though, as it's a lot cheaper than I anticipated. I would be using either a Kingtech K70G2 or Swiwin SW80B turbine.

For a bit of a background, I fly jets more than any other type of RC aircraft, and have 15 years of EDF experience of various types, and consider myself to be a proficient and safe pilot. However, I'm new in the turbine jet scene. I have watched the Joker fly at my field and it appears to fly nicely. A well engineered jet that has versatility, quality, and room to grow is what I'm looking for. I don't want a jet that I simply purchase just to get the waiver completed and then sell it. I want an aircraft that provides fun and reliability well into the future. I have an aircraft with a 4.5kg thrust turbine ready to go soon, but I can't use that to get my waiver completed, which I knew ahead of time. I've been going back and forth on several larger jets to use as my qualifying waiver jet for quite a while now, but would finally like to seal the deal on one. I originally picked up a foam turbine jet to use with the K70 for the waiver process, but I changed my mind and I'd much rather have a composite jet from almost all standpoints.

Thanks!
Hi mate, I would highly recommend the Joker. I’v actually found it easier to fly and land than my Xcalibur 🤷‍♂️ With your experience you won’t have any issues. But you also won’t get bored with it, tho you might one to fit a bigger turbine in future :-)

Tom.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:03 PM
T_CAT

Originally Posted by Tom ling
Hi mate, I would highly recommend the Joker. I’v actually found it easier to fly and land than my Xcalibur 🤷‍♂️ With your experience you won’t have any issues. But you also won’t get bored with it, tho you might one to fit a bigger turbine in future :-)

Tom.
Thank you for the advice, Tom. I truly appreciate it. This sounds like a good plan so far and I trust the judgment of this community with the extensive turbine experience.

Hopefully the performance isn’t too mellow on a K70 or SW80B, ha-ha. I want it to have good power, but I still enjoy keeping jets as light as I can have them.
Tom ling (10-13-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 09:22 PM
pcskyhi

Originally Posted by T_CAT

Thanks!
You sound like a more experienced pilot than I am and the Joker is my first turbine and the aircraft I waivered on. It is a very smooth flier and slows down nicely for landings. I put a Jets Munt 80 in mine but a lot of people like to put 100s in them.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:26 PM
T_CAT

Originally Posted by pcskyhi
You sound like a more experienced pilot than I am and the Joker is my first turbine and the aircraft I waivered on. It is a very smooth flier and slows down nicely for landings. I put a Jets Munt 80 in mine but a lot of people like to put 100s in them.
Great input, thank you! This sounds like a great jet for someone new to turbines, and the price is reasonable too.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:57 AM
jcterrettaz

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I flew mine yesterday : with the VT80 the Joker move very fast and come sometime to small ... this jet he's very relaxing to fly
with the 80 I can fly almost 8 minutes ..I just love mine ..easy to transport , solid.. my next move its to paint the canopy and ad Electron landing gear
Old 10-04-2020, 08:45 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to say that the Joker is a surprisingly good airframe for low hour pilots as well as the seasoned ones. I got mine not really wanting one (friend asked for help to prep it for sale, he bought it on impulse from a common friend, he never put an engine on it, he never flew it) I had it at home for quite some time, no one wanted to buy it, so I decided to get it flight ready and bought an SW80 for it, re rigged it for minimal support equipment to save on weight (It weighs 15.5# dry) and put a gyro on it.

I’m not not a low hr pilot, yet not what you would call an expert either, my other jets are quite bigger (Futura 2.5, Rebel Max) as I decided to get away from small models because of their high wing load flying characteristics.

I was surprised to find out the Joker flies like a bigger model, can fly fast, yet slow down a lot for very predictable landings and even though it is a draggy airframe, it retains a lot of energy, I know, as I had 6 engine out landings (Issue with failsafe), almost all at low altitude, one being in an upwind low altitude knife edge pass over the runway, was always capable to turn back to the runway with almost perfect landings.

The Joker will give you the confidence to try low altitude aerobatics, I love doing low altitude knife edge passes over the runway with it, I can’t keep my hands off it.

Last edited by Ruizmilton; 10-04-2020 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:57 PM
T_CAT

Originally Posted by Ruizmilton
I have to say that the Joker is a surprisingly good airframe for low hour pilots as well as the seasoned ones. I got mine not really wanting one (friend asked for help to prep it for sale, he bought it on impulse from a common friend, he never put an engine on it, he never flew it) I had it at home for quite some time, no one wanted to buy it, so I decided to get it flight ready and bought an SW80 for it, re rigged it for minimal support equipment to save on weight (It weighs 15.5# dry) and put a gyro on it.

I’m not not a low hr pilot, yet not what you would call an expert either, my other jets are quite bigger (Futura 2.5, Rebel Max) as I decided to get away from small models because of their high wing load flying characteristics.

I was surprised to find out the Joker flies like a bigger model, can fly fast, yet slow down a lot for very predictable landings and even though it is a draggy airframe, it retains a lot of energy, I know, as I had 6 engine out landings (Issue with failsafe), almost all at low altitude, one being in an upwind low altitude knife edge pass over the runway, was always capable to turn back to the runway with almost perfect landings.

The Joker will give you the confidence to try low altitude aerobatics, I love doing low altitude knife edge passes over the runway with it, I can’t keep my hands off it.
Now that sounds like a fun time!
Old 10-15-2020, 10:51 AM
Desert Fox 1

Received 176 Likes on 140 Posts

Cheers!
Desert Fox 1
Old 12-23-2020, 02:41 AM
Tom ling

Finally managed to fly my Joker with the new Jetsmunt 100 XBL yesterday. I had a Jetcat 100 in which was a good engine, but I had my doubts about it.

wow it’s woken the model up, much better acceleration and slightly faster I think. And the best thing is it’s using WAY less fuel. Had my timer set to 6 mins with the JC and was coming down with just less than a 1/4 of a tank. Same flight time with the Jetsmunt and it was nearly half. So raised it to 7:30. Really enjoyed flying it. I was tempted to get an UF but I think I will stick with the Joker now. If your thinking of building a Joker, I’d highly recommend a Jetsmunt 100. 👍
Old 12-23-2020, 09:32 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

That’s a first...
DenisFerrari (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 09:44 AM
DenisFerrari

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally managed to fly my Joker with the new Jetsmunt 100 XBL yesterday. I had a Jetcat 100 in which was a good engine, but I had my doubts about it.

wow it’s woken the model up, much better acceleration and slightly faster I think. And the best thing is it’s using WAY less fuel. Had my timer set to 6 mins with the JC and was coming down with just less than a 1/4 of a tank. Same flight time with the Jetsmunt and it was nearly half. So raised it to 7:30. Really enjoyed flying it. I was tempted to get an UF but I think I will stick with the Joker now. If your thinking of building a Joker, I’d highly recommend a Jetsmunt 100. 👍
...what waw not convincing you about a Jetcat 100 on your Joker? Just curious...
Old 12-23-2020, 09:44 AM
DenisFerrari

...what was not convincing you about a Jetcat 100 in your Joker? Just curious...
Old 12-23-2020, 01:13 PM
Tom ling

Originally Posted by DenisFerrari
...what was not convincing you about a Jetcat 100 in your Joker? Just curious...

There has been a few Jetcat 100 compressors being eaten by the engine in the Uk, 🤦‍♂️A good friend of mine had one blow up at about 10 hours I believe.

Quite clearly a design/build issue at some stage. My P100 was purchased in a model and had less than 2 hours on it after it had eaten the compressor wheel at around 13 hours.

(The previous owner having spent over £900 getting it fixed) I contacted Jetcat to ask if mine had a different design compressor wheel or shroud. And they very clearly wouldn’t tell me if it had been modified or had a changed design. So what was stopping it from blowing up again?

That was always in the back of my head and I didn’t want to loose the model over it. As far as I know it was only the P100rx that had the issues. My 160rx was perfect.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:17 PM
Tom ling

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
That’s a first...

haha how come Dave?

It’s much shorter, and allows the fuel tank to come back a fair way which is good. Quicker spool up/down and uses less fuel plus an auto relight function. No brainer for me, And not worrying about if it’s going to eat itself at the back of my head helped. Didn’t notice the higher idle thrust either.

Don’t get me wrong, my P100 was a very good engine, I personally didn’t have any issues with it. But I’v seen at least 4 or 5 now that have gone wrong spectacularly and not due to the owners fault, sadly Jetcat seem to take their time fixing them and getting back to the owner, my engine took over 6 months 🤷‍♂️ It’s put me off getting another. But that’s just me. 👍😎

Last edited by Tom ling; 12-23-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:37 AM
jvaliensi

Hi,
I bought Electron gear set for my Joker. It is not a drop-in replacement for the stock JP gear.
I had to add plywood to the mounting spot in the wings, for the mounting flanges of the Electron are completely different than the stock gear. BTW - the stock gear was pre-mounted from the factory and they didn't do such a great job at it.
Now I found the Electron legs are 1cm too long. Yikes! I think I can re-drill the wheel axle hole and make it work, Or, I can shorten the leg at the other end. I don't have a mill, only a lathe a drill press, so I got to figure which is the easiest with what I have.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:50 AM
jcterrettaz

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Electron are maybe better , i dont know why you have to change? The JP are fine and sometime you have to clean the brake and the front pin is a bit soft ..but beside that they are fine and way less expensive!!
Tom ling (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 07:00 AM
jvaliensi

I know- I have had good luck with JP's too. I just wanted to try Electron's. Now the mounts are made, the gear paid for, so I'm committed to finishing the install.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:38 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

The stock gear have been fine, I did just change the brake controller to an assan AG63 brake and steering gyro unit.
I have yet to fly the model because of weather, But I flew another model that had this installed and it worked great.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:43 AM
DenisFerrari

No probs at all with stock JP gear on mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.