Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FAA registration

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FAA registration

Old 12-18-2017, 03:38 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

You can fly over 400 foot after you registered
Old 12-18-2017, 06:03 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I signed up, like I was told, like a good little boy.

My life changed significantly with what the FAA did. Three local flying fields mandated an FAA number, one of the local jet meets also mandated an FAA number. Oh, and I got $5 poorer.

And I could fly my 13" foamie toy airplane over 400' BEFORE I was mandated to register with the FAA.

And if all we needed to keep dromo's from doing stupid things with their drones, was registration with the FAA, then why does it keep happening?

Thank you rhklenke. I am an AMA life member and love this hobby. Its like my last one left for a while now with two kids, so I am VERY interested in keeping it alive and well.
So if you are a good little boy how did clubs mandating an FAA # change your life significantly? Yea, little boys do cry over $5, you got me there.

Well now you DO have to register so flying an above 55 lb plane above 400' is a benefit with the AMA, what you did before is irrelevant. I really doubt the toys you fly are over 55lbs LOL!

No one said registration would cure stupid, it allows the FAA to prosecute, enforce and educate. The AMA tried and failed, to many old men in the AMA now, big turn off to young people.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:34 PM
oliveDrab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 foot rule or suggeston?

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
You can fly over 400 foot after you registered
Please explain the facts concerning the 400 foot rule. Is it a hard and fast altitude limit that you must not fly over, or is it merely an AMA suggestion as one of our club members says. And now you're saying you can fly over 400 foot after you're registered?

The AMA National Safety Code says:
- Not fly higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator.
Does that then mean that when a RC aircraft is more than 3 miles from an airport ... it can fly as high as it wants? But of course yield the right of way to all human carrying aircraft and don't fly beyond the operators line of sight.

Last edited by oliveDrab; 12-18-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:41 PM
BarracudaHockey

Sorry I was multi-tasking. I should have said....

You can fly over 400 feet if you're an AMA member and flying in accordance with the safety code.

That is directly from the FAA
Attached Thumbnails FAA AMA Letter.pdf  

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 12-18-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:54 PM
oliveDrab

Default 400 foot clarified

Sorry I was multi-tasking. I should have said....

You can fly over 400 feet if you're an AMA member and flying in accordance with the safety code.

That is directly from the FAA
Thanks ... it's clear now mostly.

Last edited by oliveDrab; 12-18-2017 at 07:05 PM. Reason: deleted comments about line of sight
Old 12-18-2017, 08:14 PM
ravill

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I've been able to fly over 400 ft well before the FAA gave me permission.

We little boys with our expensive $5 toys have been able to do that since as long as this little cry baby boy can remember.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:33 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

There is somewhat of a miss-conception here. Registration with the FAA DOES NOT give them the power to enforce or prosecute anything other than the requirement to register. Don't register, and you've violated the law that says you have to register - what the penalty for that is, I don't know.

What DOES give the FAA the ability to enforce or procecute is 14 CFR Part 101 - MOORED BALLOONS, KITES, AMATEUR ROCKETS, UNMANNED FREE BALLOONS, AND CERTAIN MODEL AIRCRAFT. which states (in part):

Subpart E—Special Rule for Model Aircraft

Source: Docket FAA-2015-0150, Amdt. 101-9, 81 FR 42208, June 28, 2016, unless otherwise noted.

101.41 Applicability.

This subpart prescribes rules governing the operation of a model aircraft (or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft) that meets all of the following conditions as set forth in section 336 of Public Law 112-95:

(a) The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;

(b) The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;

(c) The aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;

(d) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and

(e) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.

101.43 Endangering the safety of the National Airspace System.

No person may operate model aircraft so as to endanger the safety of the national airspace system.

There it is, in a Federal Regulation that carries the weight of law - operate your model aircraft in accordance with the AMA safety code and do not endanger the NAS and you are legally fine.

AMA clubs and AMA Contest Directors have a legal and liability-based responsibility to insure that their members or participants follow the AMA safety code!

At this point, I have yet to see any guidance from the AMA that suggests that clubs and CD's should REQUIRE FAA registration. I think that any clubs or Contest Directors that do so at this time are greatly overreaching their responsibility and power. If that was my club or an event I was associated with, I would not tolerate it.

Bob Klenke
JPO President

Last edited by rhklenke; 12-19-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:10 AM
BarracudaHockey

The AMA specifically says that FAA registration is between you and the Feds and while they encourage compliance with federal law they don't require it and it is NOT repeat NOT a disqualifier for insurance coverage.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:20 AM
oliveDrab

Default Insurance coverage

The AMA specifically says that FAA registration is between you and the Feds and while they encourage compliance with federal law they don't require it and it is NOT repeat NOT a disqualifier for insurance coverage.
It's good to know that as AMA members, we have insurance coverage. Can you point us to a document(s) that say, in print, what you stated above. I'm not trying to be argumentative ... I just need to know because I've recently been elected VP of our club and I need to be better informed. This thread has been very helpful - I appreciate all of your opinions, experience, and expertise.

Thanks
drabOlive
Old 12-19-2017, 10:26 AM
causeitflies

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by oliveDrab View Post
It's good to know that as AMA members, we have insurance coverage. Can you point us to a document(s) that say, in print, what you stated above. I'm not trying to be argumentative ... I just need to know because I've recently been elected VP of our club and I need to be better informed. This thread has been very helpful - I appreciate all of your opinions, experience, and expertise.

Thanks
drabOlive
Go to the AMA website and subscribe to the news feeds and video news letters and all this is made clear especially with the FAQs.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:03 AM
causeitflies

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 12-19-2017, 01:43 PM
BarracudaHockey

Thank you, that answers most of this from the horses mouth.